Shiavo & Hindu reincarnation: Soul without mind?

Dinosaur

Rational Skeptic
Valued Senior Member
I have been reading articles quoting Bush and some religious people as claiming that Teri Shiavo should not have been allowed to die, even though the autopsy showed that she could not have any awareness, memory, or other attributes associated with a functioning mind.

In reading about the Hindu concept of reincarnation, there is never any mention of a memory or awareness of past lives.

The above suggests to me that Hindus and certain Christians believe in the existence of a soul which is independent of a person’s memories or awareness.

Do some people have such a belief? Are there those who believe that a soul still exists if the body is alive, but the brain has been completely destroyed? Does such a belief imply or coexist with a belief that what we call the mind is independent of the physical brain?

Dinosaur: I have been reading articles quoting Bush and some religious people as claiming that Teri Shiavo should not have been allowed to die, even though the autopsy showed that she could not have any awareness, memory, or other attributes associated with a functioning mind.
M*W: It's a sad case.
Terri was wasted beyond the concept of reincarnatuion. She never had a chance to live. I believe she was given the totalitarian grace to live without pro quo. There is no other presence of literacy. I reject everything that quantum physics denies. There is no such thing as the beginning of history nor the end of history. Perhaps there is no end to her life. Let's leave it at that! There is no salvation for this sinner.

In reading about the Hindu concept of reincarnation, there is never any mention of a memory or awareness of past lives.

The above suggests to me that Hindus and certain Christians believe in the existence of a soul which is independent of a person’s memories or awareness.

Do some people have such a belief? Are there those who believe that a soul still exists if the body is alive, but the brain has been completely destroyed? Does such a belief imply or coexist with a belief that what we call the mind is independent of the physical brain?[/QUOTE]

Back