Shark attack from the shark twitcher

Skeptical

Registered Senior Member
I am a shark twitcher. Quite unlike the venerable British twitchers who fearlessly explore the wilds of darkest Yorkshire, armed with pen, paper, and camera, looking for any species of bird that may have previously escaped their attention.

No, I am a shark twitcher. As a scuba diver with 44 years experience, I love sharks. They are magnificent, beautiful animals, superbly adapted to their environment. I dive into as many different environments as my cheque book will permit, and keep a record of any new shark I encounter. To date, I have scuba'ed in the company of no less than 21 species of shark. Wonderful!

This brings me to shark attack. I feel that these wonderful animals have been maligned. Stephen Spielberg has much to answer for!

The image of the shark in the minds of most people is that of an evil predator, prowling the ocean looking for a hapless swimmer to devour. I must protest!

Shark attacks do occur, but they are rare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_attack

I quote :

"In 2000, the year with the most recorded shark attacks, there were 79 shark attacks reported worldwide, 16 of them fatal. In 2005 and 2006 this number decreased to 61 and 62 respectively, while the number of fatalities dropped to only four per year"

This makes shark attack one of the least of all the many ways a human can shuffle off this mortal coil. So why the widespread fear?

I have a few observations.

1. The major victims of attacks are surfers, who splash their hands in water to paddle their boards. Real easy for a shark to strike at the splash in error.

2. It is almost totally unheard of for a shark to eat a victim. Wounds occur, including fatal wounds, but chunks are not bitten out of people, except rarely, and even then, apparently in error.

3. The normal attack pattern is a bite, and then the victim is released. Of course, it may be too late, especially if the victim struggles in reflex, and tears the shark teeth through his/her flesh.

My view is that humans are not on the 'menu' of a shark. Sharks have evolved culinary discrimination. Probably because so many marine organisms are poisonous. Thus, a shark will not kill and eat a strange animal. And what is stranger than a human? I think shark attacks come from either :
- A reflexive strike at a splash, as with a surfer
- An inquisitive mouthing of an intriguing new item. A human will use his hands to pick up or feel something new and interesting. A shark has no hands, and will mouth the new item instead.

Do you guys agree with my ideas here, or care to suggest alternative explanations?

PS. I get really frustrated often with sharks. When I see one and I bring up my trusty underwarer camera, the beggar swims away! They are so scared of me that I cannot get any decent photos. It is even worse if I swim towards one, which just makes it flee faster. I have to try and trick it into approaching by playing coy. Very annoying.

Do you guys agree with my ideas here, or care to suggest alternative explanations?

I would think almost every reasonable person agrees with your summation.

Have you taken photographs of any of your shark encounters? It would be great to see some of them.

Do you guys agree with my ideas here
I concur totally with you. sharks are slaughtered today just because of what they are. No matter what variety of shark that is out there people are just killing them just for the fun of it. I believe they are put here for a very good reason and its not to eat people either. I just wish that people would become more educated about these beautiful creatures before they are driven to extinction. As you know there are some species that are already on the endangered list.

061006_113519_echeng6553.jpg

Skeptical, I agree with you.
Spearfishers (of which I'm one) do tend to be on the menu however, nothing like blood and fibrillating fish in the water to excite and confuse the men in grey suits.

I've got a reasonable list going, only half a dozen but I'm off to Fiji for 3 weeks and I reckon I might add a few more.

Great Astrolabe reef mmmmmm!!

Last edited:
Spud

One of my shark twitcher list entries is from Fiji. The Bull Shark. Possibly the major attacker of people.

One of my strongest memories is snorkelling in Fiji, off the coral coast. I swam out along a channel in the coral. I was nervous after hearing some alarmist shark stories from 'friends'. After a while, I noticed a long shape below me. A very large bull shark.

I remembered what Hans Hass had said about sharks. Scream underwater and they will take fright and flee. I screamed. With enthusiasm. The bull shark was not terribly impressed. I watched his body slowly rotate in the water, till suddenly his eye, and my eye, were staring at each other.

And then, in the space of the blink of that eye, it accelerated off to the horizon. And left a great cloud of shark shit in the water behind it!!

And left a great cloud of shark shit in the water behind it!!

I hope it's not my cloud that's left on the reef.

I'll try to remember to scream.
My son is a tough cookie but I've heard him scream underwater, the poor bugger was all of ten when we got seriously harassed by some massive black rays (this was about six months after Steve Irwin had been taken out), you could see their menacing barbs up close and personal and they just kept coming at us. All good fun.

I do hope to twitch a couple of new sharky species in Feej.
Only 4 days till we fly out.

/excited!

i love snorkel and spear. Haven't encountered many sharks though, black tips and nurse sharks mostly.

Skeptical you should open a dive club in south east asia.

Maybe a shark twitchers club?

To spud.

I hope you get to Great Astrolabe Reef. I have dived there just the once. That was where I saw my first Tiger Shark, and also my first Great Hammerhead. Both enormous!

True to form, though, both of them saw my camera and stayed well away, so that I could not film them. Damn!

The same trip, we headed south and dived North Minerva Reef, where I saw (and filmed) my first Oceanic White Tip. That is the only shark species that has acted seriously aggressively towards me. It came from the distance, out in the deep blue (visibility at North Minerva was 75 metres - 250 feet) and charged at me. I kept my little movie camera whirring, and remember thinking : When in doubt, take film! It rushed to within a couple metres of me and stopped and turned with immense suddenness, and swam off to the horizon. What a buzz!

Further south, we dived the Kermadec Islands. Off one rock in that group (Esperance Rock) we dived among a school of 3 metre long (10 feet) Herbst's Nurse Sharks. Deep bodied. Massive but docile. We had them above us, below us. To left. To right. Within one metre. The closest I have ever been to a large shark. Wow!

The Kermadec Islands are also known for large numbers of Galapagos Sharks. Frisky little devils, but quite harmless.

Back