Shall we all convert?

Alex4.0

Registered Member
I've been reading about religions recently and I came over one I've
never heard of, Jainism, an religion from India one of the several not
based on the Vedas. I read it and thought.."Wow, if everyone acted
on their (Jain's) principles life would be great, and the ozone layer would no
longer need a patch job" Here is a short passage from the
one of the many books about this subject.

"All breathing, existing, living, sentient creatures should not be slain, nor treated
with anger, nor abused, nor tormented, nor driven away. This is the pure,
unchangeable, eternal law.."

Akaranga Sutra, IV: Lesson 1

They bring this to such an extreme as not to go outside when its raining,
as they believe that 3000 living beings are contained with in a single
drop of water.

1. I like being out in the rain.
2. I like roast beef sandwiches.
3. Chicken is an essential part of my diet that I'm not willing to give up.

Jainism definitely wouldn't work for me.

Jainism is the only religion I know of where the more extremist you become, the less violent you become.

If you're going to convert at least chose a fun religion like Rastafarianism. ;)

Janism is a stupid religion, not in the least because the ultimate goal is to die.
No wonder there are so few of the left.

Jainism is a stupid religion, not in the least because the ultimate goal is to die.
No wonder there are so few of the left.

I wasn't asking if it was stupid, but if everyone acted like that, life would be healthier for all of us. They believe in reincarnation, much in the way Hindus and Buddhists do, dieing is nothing to them, it is a process of life, natural. Its a way of life.

There is a story told by a monk who saw twelve stray dogs chasing another who was racing away with a bone it found. When they caught him, they attacked him to wrest it from his grip. Wounded and bleeding, the dog let go, and the dogs abandoned him to chase the one who picked it up. The monk saw this as a lesson: So long as we cling to things, we have to bleed for them. When we let go, we will be left in peace.

Last edited:
If everyone acted like that, there would be no life, no human life at least, everyone would turn into a vegetable and humanity would be written off as a bad idea..

Jainism has never condoned war or used the caste system, and only the extremists go to such a length as letting go of all possessions, monks and nuns. If everyone would just adopt a couple of their ways, life would be easier.

Back