Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lucifers angel

same shit, differant day!!
Registered Senior Member
i saw this today, and i was listening to the news when they announced it, is it a good idea?

====================

LONDON (Reuters) - Parents in four areas of England will be able to check whether new partners or other people with significant access to their children are sex offenders under a pilot scheme launched on Monday.

The initiative allows police and probation services to disclose some information to families about people who have unsupervised contact with their children.

But the scheme, which will operate in Cambridgeshire, Hampshire, Cleveland and Warwickshire, does not go as far as the so-called "Megan's Law" in the United States which allows local identification of sex offenders.

"You have to be a parent, carer or a guardian and you would go to the police or the authorities and say you have concern about somebody who had unsupervised direct access to your children," Home Office minister Vernon Coaker told BBC radio.

"It may well be a babysitter, it may be a new boyfriend, it may be somebody who lives next door but it has to be somebody who has that unsupervised access."

When the proposals were announced last year, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said nine out of 10 cases of child sex abuse were committed by someone known to the child.

The move has been welcomed by Sara Payne, whose 8-year-old daughter Sarah was abducted and murdered by a convicted paedophile in 2000 and who has since campaigned for the whereabouts of convicted sex offenders to be made public.

"This is a giant step towards truth and honesty when dealing with sex offenders and all we need now is for local communities up and down the UK to help make this work," Payne said.

However, probation officers and charities have expressed concern that the measures could lead to vigilante attacks, forcing paedophiles underground.

They also warn that predatory paedophiles take time to groom victim's families, picking on the most vulnerable who are unlikely to risk any new relationship by making such check-ups.

"They are not going to check on potential partners if it means the relationship might be disrupted," Harry Fletcher of probation staff union Napo told the Guardian.

Coaker said there would be safeguards in the system to ensure information was kept confidential.

"The police will be taking steps to verify all applications to ensure they are genuine," said Dr Vic Tuck, the Development Manager of the Warwickshire Safeguarding Children Board.

"We will ensure that any disclosure of information is made only to those people in a position to directly protect children from harm."

The trial will run for 12 months, after which its success will be evaluated.

"The whole point of this is to pilot these processes, to test them to see whether they make a difference to child protection," Coaker said.

--------------------------

i dont think it is a good idea, for the reason i wonder how long it will take for the wrong person to be named, and he gets lynched and killed?

your thoughts:

I think it's a very good idea, and I'm very surprised it's not already in action.

i think its bad idea, how long will it be for the wrong person to be named?

I don't think it's very likely to happen.
And even if it does I'm sure the good to come from this will easily outweigh the bad.

I think we should finger all male's arses at birth in case one day they grow up to be pedophiles. Just punish them first, then who cares? Let them go at it, they've already paid their dues. You have to admit it makes sense.

so its ok for innocent people to be named because the good will be seen in it??
:eek:

Well they put innocent people in gaol. Should we scrap gaols because of the possibility of an innocent going into one?

Even if an innocent got pointed out by this scheme, it wouldn't be too hard to appeal it, they just have to check their records again.

Well they put innocent people in gaol. Should we scrap gaols because of the possibility of an innocent going into one?

Even if an innocent got pointed out by this scheme, it wouldn't be too hard to appeal it, they just have to check their records again.

but "mud sticks" poeple will think "where there's smoke there's fire"

If I'm correct in saying so, in the USA, the sex offenders are already in a public database that can be looked at by anyone. I believe you can call any police station and ask if someone is on that list.

If it keeps some strange person from taking a child into the woods and doing something very, very wrong to them, or anything such as that, then I'm for it. If it infringes on a persons so-called rights after they've already been identified as a sex offender, then perhaps they should have thought about the consequences of their actions that put them into that category.

Yes, I'm for it.

I think its a good idea, better than the one in the US. I think in the US its too easy to get information like that and it easily allows people to become vigilantes. A little boy went missing in my neighborhood and a sex offender lives across the street from me. The missing boy's father nearly beat the guy to death because he thought he had taken his son, only to find out later that the guy wasn't on the sex offender's list for being a pedophile it was for prostitution. He still does prostitution stuff, out of his own home now. So he is still breaking the law, but he didn't deserve to be beaten nearly to death for something he knew nothing about. That's why information like that shouldn't be so easily obtained.

I think its a good idea, better than the one in the US. I think in the US its too easy to get information like that and it easily allows people to become vigilantes. A little boy went missing in my neighborhood and a sex offender lives across the street from me. The missing boy's father nearly beat the guy to death because he thought he had taken his son, only to find out later that the guy wasn't on the sex offender's list for being a pedophile it was for prostitution. He still does prostitution stuff, out of his own home now. So he is still breaking the law, but he didn't deserve to be beaten nearly to death for something he knew nothing about. That's why information like that shouldn't be so easily obtained.

add to that the fact that people can be fucking stupid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

If I'm correct in saying so, in the USA, the sex offenders are already in a public database that can be looked at by anyone. I believe you can call any police station and ask if someone is on that list.
This is true, but the problem is that people get put on the list for so many different things that the list is usually pretty useless. College frat idiots end up on the list for drunken streaking (public nudity), a 18 year old can end up on the list for having consensual sex with a 16 year old (statutory rape), a drunk couple that gets caught having sex in the bushes at a public park (public indecency), etc. While none of that is good upstanding behavior, it also doesn't mean that the people are dangerous predators. So now there's no way to tell the real offenders from the joke offenders. :rolleyes:

This is true, but the problem is that people get put on the list for so many different things that the list is usually pretty useless. College frat idiots end up on the list for drunken streaking (public nudity), a 18 year old can end up on the list for having consensual sex with a 16 year old (statutory rape), a drunk couple that gets caught having sex in the bushes at a public park (public indecency), etc. While none of that is good upstanding behavior, it also doesn't mean that the people are dangerous predators. So now there's no way to tell the real offenders from the joke offenders. :rolleyes:

Agreed.

If there were some way that only the genuinely dangerous ones could be identified, that would make more sense.

what a stupid idea, concidering what GETS a person on the sex offender registry (like streaking across a football field, picking up a prositute, being 18 and having sex with a 17 year old in the US, protesting nude and chaining yourself to the fence around parliment) its a moronic idead.

there was a fictional case where a person gave the name of someone on the sex offenders registry to the parents of an abducted child in SVU and the father went over and beat the crap out of the guy. when the cops arived and pulled him off you find out that the reason the guy was on it was because he had used a prositute and this guy dam near killed the guy.

what a stupid idea, concidering what GETS a person on the sex offender registry (like streaking across a football field, picking up a prositute, being 18 and having sex with a 17 year old in the US, protesting nude and chaining yourself to the fence around parliment) its a moronic idead.

there was a fictional case where a person gave the name of someone on the sex offenders registry to the parents of an abducted child in SVU and the father went over and beat the crap out of the guy. when the cops arived and pulled him off you find out that the reason the guy was on it was because he had used a prositute and this guy dam near killed the guy.

That's like what happened right across the street from my building. You never hear about stuff that happened in the ghetto.

If it keeps some strange person from taking a child into the woods and doing something very, very wrong to them, or anything such as that, then I'm for it. If it infringes on a persons so-called rights after they've already been identified as a sex offender, then perhaps they should have thought about the consequences of their actions that put them into that category.

Yes, I'm for it.

Actually I think the type of sex offense should be taken into consideration. I mean after all streaking is a sex offense. As is public nudity. There is also sever ofther sex offenses that put people at an extreme low risk to harming children. However under the proposal they would be labeled as dangerous sex offenders.

Apply a little sorting and classification and you have a better deal. After all a serial flasher who has the thing for scandalizing octagenarians is little threat to you 5 year old.

futher more say someone was treated for a sexual offence and cured, now the justice system works on a priciple of once you have served your time thats it. Say an offence happened 50 years ago, was caused by a brain tumor which was recotofided and then the person hasnt even got a parking ticket since

if this infomation fell into the hands of someone dont you think the pickets out the front ect would DRIVE them to offend again?

Would it be so hard just to tell the enquirer what they are on the register for?

Back