Several topics in one.

J

Judas

Browsing this folder i notice there are alot of
"if god..../the bible says....../devil not sa bad....." posts.
I think it would be a god start in all theese discussions
to have a few facts in mind.

1. The bible were for a long time passed on from one generation
to another by tounge. That means that bits and pieces might
have been added or gone missing.

2.God is not human, hes not an animal. Thats why one cannot
questiuon "its" motives as if it were a creature with a brain
resembeling that of humans.

3.Quoting the bible and questioning the context, is futile in the
attempt to proove that there is no god. If a person dislike
religion then all that person have to do is to stop going o church,
temple, or synagogue.

But i would like to really start the topic by asking my question.

About 90% of the worlds population belives in heaven and hell,
are theese billions all victims for a mass suggestion?

I don't know where you get the 90% from, they are probably debatable, but it is certainly a very wide-spread notion. I suppose the explanation is that two of the most prevalent religions contain that notion.

There are, however, wide variations on the scenario even within those religions.

Hans

If a person dislike
religion then all that person have to do is to stop going o church,
temple, or synagogue.
But you can't stop them damn "god-fearing" preachers from getting in your face:mad:

Originally posted by kazakhan
But you can't stop them damn "god-fearing" preachers from getting in your face:mad:

In most cases you can. Unless you are the type that colors your
hair black and wears nothing but black clothes and sleep in a
coffin:D

>religion then all that person have to do is to stop going o church,
temple, or synagogue.

Tell that to all the people who have been slaughtered, hurt, repressed, desieved...

Judas,

About 90% of the worlds population belives in heaven and hell,
are these billions all victims for a mass suggestion?
Why not? Not so long ago pretty much everyone on the planet believed the world was flat.

The fact that a large number of people believe something has no necessary relationship with whether it is true or not. Truth is not determined by a democratic vote no matter how confident people have in the democratic process. Popular belief for anything tends to be more about what people want to believe rather than whether it is right or true.

Our current best method for determining whether something is true or not is to use the scientific method. Note that truth is not always pleasant or what people want to be true. Unfortunately religions refuse to submit to scientific examination.

The spread of popular and comfortable religious beliefs was and is very much like a highly malignant and virulent virus. Our task now should be their extermination so that humanity can finally leave behind its irrational and barbaric superstitious past.

that 90% figure is fallacious at best. Concider the religions that do not expressly believe in heaven and hell.

Shinto

Hinduism (Keep in mind its the majority religion in India with 2 billion people out of 6 billion in the world, this one alone renders your 90% figure inaccurate)

Bhuddism

Wicca

and as well the large number of athists in the world (Like for instance the nearly 2 billion chineese communists)

and this is hardly a complete lists of religions that do not include heaven and hell.

Oh don't worry too much about the numbers.

About 80% of the world are religious to some degree and 20% are not.

The point is that the majority are religious.

Originally posted by Robban
>religion then all that person have to do is to stop going o church,
temple, or synagogue.

Tell that to all the people who have been slaughtered, hurt, repressed, desieved...

Completly off topic and gay. Have you been slaughtered ,hurt,repressed,deseived? No, thats right
so stop acting like a damn victim.

Originally posted by SpyMoose
that 90% figure is fallacious at best. Concider the religions that do not expressly believe in heaven and hell.

Shinto

Hinduism (Keep in mind its the majority religion in India with 2 billion people out of 6 billion in the world, this one alone renders your 90% figure inaccurate)

Bhuddism

Wicca

and as well the large number of athists in the world (Like for instance the nearly 2 billion chineese communists)

and this is hardly a complete lists of religions that do not include heaven and hell.

Shinto? Shinto opens for Ghosts. Doesnt that mean theres an
after world? the 2 billion commies you referr to are quite religios.
China has allowed religion after the death of Mao. the only religion banned are the "Falun gong" cult. Also.....cimmies werent
more atheist than anyone else.....they were just supressed,forced
threatened to stop worshipping any god.

Originally posted by Cris
Oh don't worry too much about the numbers.

About 80% of the world are religious to some degree and 20% are not.

The point is that the majority are religious.

hey the premice was that 90% believe in heaven and hell, and its not true, i was just trying to talk some sence about that figure.

And Judas, yes shinto has ghosts and spirits and all sorts of things, whereas if there were a heaven and hell all those things would have thier place apart from our world shinto sees them as being with us here on earth. Also i doubt you could prove an argument could be inherently "gay" as you accused Robban's of being. Do you know what gay means?

Originally posted by Judas
Also.....cimmies werent
more atheist than anyone else.....they were just supressed,forced
threatened to stop worshipping any god.

That sounds suspiciously like a common tactic for making people worship a specific god, i assumed since it works in that context it probaly actualy worked on a good number of communists

Completly off topic and gay.

As someone who is genuinely gay I take offence at your usage of the word in this manner.

Originally posted by Mystech
As someone who is genuinely gay I take offence at your usage of the word in this manner.

My bad, wont happen again.

Originally posted by SpyMoose
That sounds suspiciously like a common tactic for making people worship a specific god, i assumed since it works in that context it probaly actualy worked on a good number of communists

Well, China aint no joke. Life there is hard. Old temple`s are
beeing restored and more and more people show their beliefs.
Just look at how many members Falun Gong has

About 90% of the worlds population belives in heaven and hell, are theese billions all victims for a mass suggestion?
No. They are all victims of various admixtures of ignorance, superstition, and irrationalism. And you?

Re: Re: Several topics in one.

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
No. They are all victims of various admixtures of ignorance, superstition, and irrationalism. And you?

REAL ignorance is a virtue

Back