Seth: Who/what was he & what was his significance?

Medicine*Woman

Jesus: Mythstory--Not History!
Valued Senior Member
I would like to learn more about Seth from you learned people. I've read that he, of course, was the third son of Adam and Eve and that Noah was Seth's descendant. I've also read that Seth is actually another name for Set, the Egyptian god of death. Another theory I've read is that the whole human race descended from Seth. My question to you illustrious posters is: If the human race descended from Seth or Set, does that make human beings Satan or the world Hell? You do know that this is diametrically opposed to what I currently believe. I am interested in your thoughts. Thank you!

Re: Re: Seth: Who/what was he & what was his significance?

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
No you're not. Why lie?

You don't know me. When I know something, I say it. When I don't know something, I'll admit that, too. I am interested in learning what the intelligent people on this forum have learned about Seth (for one). There are many things I don't know but would like to learn. Furthermore, I've read back over the comments you've made to other posts and all of them reek of blabbering arrogance. That makes you look sub-intelligent. Obviously, cannot answer my question, so why take up space on the forum with your witless comments?

And another thing, does ConsequentAtheist mean that you are an atheist by accident, not of your own choosing, or have you not yet taken control of your life? From your constant bashing of my posts, I think you are a closet Xian. Make a commitment to something, anything, or are you the spineless wimp you appear to be on the forum?

Besides what's in the bible, there are few non-canon <a href="http://www.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/retellings/Cave.html">books</a>

what we know from the bible is that seth was the named third child of adam and eve,all of humanity is not decended directly from seth I guess,cain also had kids,and adam and eve had other sons and daughters that arent named but are talked about.
And I dont know how you put seth and set together.

Seth/Set

Originally posted by snow
what we know from the bible is that seth was the named third child of adam and eve,all of humanity is not decended directly from seth I guess,cain also had kids,and adam and eve had other sons and daughters that arent named but are talked about.
And I dont know how you put seth and set together.

I read that somewhere. That's why I was asking if anyone else had read this or other information about Seth. I understand that Seth was not the ancestor of the whole human race but was the ancestor of Noah. I also read that Ham, Shem and Japeth's descendants populated the world. Ham's descendants populated Asia, Shem's populated the Arab countries, and Japeth's populated the West. I may not have this in the correct order that I read it, but it was something like this.

Thank you for your reply.

your correct somewhat,the reason ham,shem,and japeaths populated these reagions was because they,besides noah,were the only men left after the flood.

Re: Re: Re: Seth: Who/what was he & what was his significance?

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
And another thing, does ConsequentAtheist mean that you are an atheist by accident, not of your own choosing, or have you not yet taken control of your life?
What were my options again? :D You're really not very good at this ...

ConsequentAtheist means exactly what it says.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seth: Who/what was he & what was his significance?

What were my options again? :D You're really not very good at this ...

ConsequentAtheist means exactly what it says.

Who are you to judge me or anyone else on this forum? Your original snide comment has turned out to be true after all! Why lie? I really don't give a rat's ass what you think!

I've also read that Seth is actually another name for Set, the Egyptian god of death.
No doubt you've read many silly things, but why raise them here? Do you maintain that "Seth is actually another name for Set, the Egyptian god of death.", and are you willing to substantiate and defend the assertion?

Re: Re: Seth: Who/what was he & what was his significance?

No doubt you've read many silly things, but why raise them here? Do you maintain that "Seth is actually another name for Set, the Egyptian god of death.", and are you willing to substantiate and defend the assertion?

"Why raise them here?" ~ I was asked for resources.
"Seth is actually another name for Set..." ~ I've read that. I didn't know the man personally. They're all theories.

All right the name Seth may be another form of Set,but the Seth from the Bible existed long before the nation of Egypt,so the two cannot be the same thing.

Re: Re: Re: Seth: Who/what was he & what was his significance?

"Why raise them here?" ~ I was asked for resources.
"Seth is actually another name for Set..." ~ I've read that. I didn't know the man personally. They're all theories.
"They're all theories" only in the most inane vernacular sense of the word 'theory', and your "I've read that ..." clause is little more than a disingenuous way to float a position without taking responsibility for it. So, tell us, was the Sheth of the Torah Egypt's Set[h], was Josephus actually Paul, and are you willing to substantiate and defend these positions? Or, conversely, do you simply delight in peppering you discourse with baseless drivel about which you are neutral?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seth: Who/what was he & what was his significance?

"They're all theories" only in the most inane vernacular sense of the word 'theory', and your "I've read that ..." clause is little more than a disingenuous way to float a position without taking responsibility for it. So, tell us, was the Sheth of the Torah Egypt's Set[h], was Josephus actually Paul, and are you willing to substantiate and defend these positions? Or, conversely, do you simply delight in peppering you discourse with baseless drivel about which you are neutral?

You must have the time to leisurely research the issues that you lash out at everyone else about. If you were as intelligent as you try to pretend, why do you then feel the need to be so defensive about your personal stance on the issues and condescending to everyone on sciforums?

I research for the enjoyment of learning. Personally, I don't care which theories can be proven or not. There is nothing that would change my convictions anyway. I enjoy the pursuit of knowledge. That is why I joined sciforums. I did not come here to change the world. I did not come here to enforce my beliefs on anyone else. I came here to learn. I did not come here to debate every issue or defend my beliefs. I came here to offer that which I have learned. There is a difference between reading and learning and believing and teaching. I do not profess to be a Biblical scholar. Were I a Biblical scholar, I would be teaching religion at the graduate level instead.

You seem to be a very unhappy person who finds no joy in life. This is apparent from your consistently negative posts. If you are knowledgeable about religious topics, why don't you share your knowledge with the rest of us instead of attacking us with your nonsensical verbage?

Hello all,

In my opinion are Jews Cain's descendants and differently to descendants of Seth are going to be saved.

God tells Cain that the blood of Abel, his brother, is calling from the ground for vengeance. Jesus tells the Jews that they are responsible for the blood of all innocent men from Abel to Zechariah.

Nu 24:17 "I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth /Seth/."

God Seth, or Set, was at one time highly venerated in Egypt. Up to the thirteenth century before Christ, Set was a great god universally adored throughout Egypt, who confers on the sovereigns of the eighteenth and nineteenth dynasties the symbols of life and power. The most glorious monarch of the latter dynasty, Sethos, derives his name from this deity. But subsequently, in the course of the twentieth dynasty, he is suddenly treated as an evil demon, inasmuch that his effigies and name are obliterated on all the monuments and inscriptions that could be reached." Moreover, according to this distinguished writer, Seth "appears gradually among the Semites as the background of their religious consciousness" and not merely was he "the primitive God of Northern Egypt and Palestine," but his genealogy as "the Seth of Genesis, the father of Enoch (the man), must be considered as originally running paraIlel with that derived from the Elohim, Adam's father." That Seth had some special connection with the Hebrews is proved, among other things, by the peculiar position occupied in their religious system by the ass--the firstborn of which alone of all animals was allowed to be redeemed --and the red heifer--whose ashes were to be reserved as a "water of separation" for purification from sin. Both of these animals were in Egypt sacred to Seth (Typhon), the ass being his symbol, and red oxen being at one time sacrificed to him, although at a later date objects of a red color were disliked, owing to their association with the dreaded Typhon. That we have a reference to this deity in the name of the Hebrew lawgiver is very probable.

No satisfactory derivation of this name, Moses, Mosheh (Heb.), has yet been given. Its original form was probably Am-a-ses or Am-ses, which in course of time would become to the Hebrews Om-ses or Mo-ses, meaning only the (god) Ses, i.e., Set or Seth. On this hypothesis, there may have been preserved in the first book of Moses (so-called) some of the traditional wisdom said to have been contained in the sacred books of the Egyptian Thoth, and of the records engraved on the pillars of Seth. It is somewhat remarkable that, according to a statement of Diodorus, when Antiochus Epiphanes entered the temple at Jerusalem, he found in the Holy of Holies a stone figure of Moses, represented as a man with a long beard, mounted on an ass, and having a book in his hand. The Egyptian mythus of Typhon actually said that Seth fled from Egypt riding oin a gray ass. It is strange, to say the least, that Moses should not have been allowed to enter the promised land, and that he should be so seldom referred to by later writers until long after the reign of David.

Kindly regards

Ivana

Back