Serious question SOS

whitewolf

asleep under the juniper bush
Registered Senior Member
I'm going to Church in the evening, and I'd like to know what is going to happen there. Whoever responds, please include as much detail as you can!
(Please do not poke fun at churches!)

What kind of church?

It ... really, really depends on what kind of church you're going to.

Oh ....

Um ... stuffy, stodgy, monotonous. Lots of standing and sitting and reciting. I think they'll be waving a censer around, reeking up the room. Imagine an old-school, grandiose Episcopal Christmas Eve service, but simultaneously more humble and pompous.

It appears the ceremony should be in English ... but I've not spent much time around the Orthodox, so someone else will have to fill in the details.

It will all depend on the people that attend the particular church you are going to, the character of Churches are as varied as peoples characters, and whether it is tune with you and visa-versa will depend how much you will enjoy it - or not. Hope you follow my drift.

When you are there just relax and go with the flow. If you don't enjoy yourself or at least feel comfortable with one particular Church, then try another.

Originally posted by Vienna
It will all depend on the people that attend the particular church you are going to, the character of Churches are as varied as peoples characters, and whether it is tune with you and visa-versa will depend how much you will enjoy it - or not. Hope you follow my drift.

When you are there just relax and go with the flow. If you don't enjoy yourself or at least feel comfortable with one particular Church, then try another.
----------
M*W: So xians can play hop-scotch and find their spiritual reality? If you don't like one church, go to another? Religious musical chairs, eh? What an idiot! xianity has so many variables that the whole planet can find their niche? What an idiot! There is no truth in xianity... the bane of the white people... Jesus wasn't white... he was semitic... xianity is a lost cause... like Wayne said... the first cause... there is no escape to from the lost cause.

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
M*W: So xians can play hop-scotch and find their spiritual reality? If you don't like one church, go to another? Religious musical chairs, eh? What an idiot! xianity has so many variables that the whole planet can find their niche? What an idiot! There is no truth in xianity... the bane of the white people... Jesus wasn't white... he was semitic... xianity is a lost cause... like Wayne said... the first cause... there is no escape to from the lost cause.
Why get so uptight lady, this advice wasn't for you. Nor would it ever be intended for you. Your attitude is very sad and vindictive.

If you've got nothing constructive to say then kindly piss off - thankyou.

Originally posted by Vienna
Why get so uptight lady, this advice wasn't for you. Nor would it ever be intended for you. Your attitude is very sad and vindictive.

If you've got nothing constructive to say then kindly piss off - thankyou.
----------
M*W: I'M NOT uptight--YOU are! You're the one who's sand and vindictive. Not me! I don't give a rat's ass about xianity--you do! I thought you were a fat, broad Brit, but the more I hear from you, you are a fat, broad dick! Whattsa matta? You can't get any from those cold Brit broads?

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
----------
M*W: I'M NOT uptight--YOU are! You're the one who's sand and vindictive. Not me! I don't give a rat's ass about xianity--you do! I thought you were a fat, broad Brit, but the more I hear from you, you are a fat, broad dick! Whattsa matta? You can't get any from those cold Brit broads?
Have a nice day
:D

MW, I do believe you're starting to lose it. Your hatred is consuming you. I suggest you take a step back and look at your response to what was a rather friendly an inoffensive post. Is this representative of your beliefs... of your faith?

~Raithere

My first experience at a Catholic church made me pretty uncomfortable. The family of my girlfriend at that time made a big deal about the fact that I wasn't Catholic, so I felt pretty crappy about not participating in the sacrement of the Eucharist. I've since learned to tell people to fuck themselves in comparable situations. Well, not in the middle of church. You know what I mean.

By this time You've allready gone..

The church experience of my youth, the best I can remember and the most fun I've had in Church was Southern Babtists. With black folkes.

Though I'm an atheist now, this is most memorable to me. If your seriously want to feel the fussy warm feeling of love, go to one, You will most defenetly think you feel the spirit of these folks when they pray, dance, sing with joy and cheer.

Godless

I went to the Russian Orthodox Church, and there is only one of that kind in NYC. It was nice and warm there, it felt like everyone knew each other, and the priest was very friendly. There was no dancing, just a lot of praying and no sitting (ouch my feet). In church, it seemed to me, we really are all brothers and sisters. I will have to accompany my friend to that place weekly.

My first experience at a Catholic church made me pretty uncomfortable. The family of my girlfriend at that time made a big deal about the fact that I wasn't Catholic, so I felt pretty crappy about not participating in the sacrement of the Eucharist.
You can rest in the assurance that catholics have traditionally rejected those not baptised catholic from the Eucharist since the time of Justin Martyr.

Not that it is very important to this discussion, but it is somewhat relevant.

There is more than one Orthodox Church in NYC.
Quite a few, in fact.

More than one being Russian Orthodox.

Here are some Russian Orthodox Churches in NYC, if you want to visit more...

Chapel of St. Sergius of Radonezh
and
Synodal Cathedral of the Mother of God of the Sign
75 E 93RD ST
NEW YORK, NY

Holy Fathers Church
524 W 153RD ST
NEW YORK, NY

St. Mark's Orthodox Monastery
419 E 117TH ST
NEW YORK, NY

Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church
2536 37TH ST
ASTORIA, NY

New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia Orthodox Church
8645 18TH AVE
BROOKLYN, NY

Holy Annunciation Church
4267 147TH ST
FLUSHING, NY

Russian Orthodox Church of the Assumption
11902 94TH AVE
JAMAICA, NY

Thanx! (that is it, all search engines definitely don't like me! I can never find a thing. not even in Yellow Pages.)

Back