Semi-precious stones and their effects on human health

water

the sea
Registered Senior Member
Semi-precious stones and their effects on human health

I have a ring with a big moonstone. I bought it because I liked the fascinating blue shimmering.

It was only later that I discovered that it is supposed to have good effects on my health -- there's a whole list of them:
"It is extremely recommended when having troubles with the nervs, exhaustion and sorrowfulness. It improves mental and physical abilities. It restores strength, rejuvenates and brings us a lot of joy into our lives."

Well, I find it hard to believe this. Is there any physiological evidence that those rocks indeed would have this sort of positive effect on our body?

The only positive effect I can imagine from wearing that sone is that I immensely like that shimmering, and this indeed makes me glad, it is a form of "self-healing". -- But to say that it "improves mental and physical abilities" would be too much of a stretch.

So, what is it with those stones -- is there any scientifically measurable evidence of their effect?
If so, does this effect take place even though the person wearing that stone may not know of it, or of its positive efects?

Every material has it's own charge or decharge, this makes the material unique. It's a magnetical field. Compare stone with a magnet and you wil find a great difference in charge. Every living being has also it's own magnetic field (aura) and are unique. Some magnetical fields have their effects on living organism.

Last edited:
And I'm cure u have heard of copper bracelets for arthritis etc. Not all cures are physical (depending on fields), some are chemical in nature.

There is no valid physiological evidence for the supposed benefits of either "crystals" or copper bracelets.

ExodusUnknown said:
Every material has it's own charge or decharge, this makes the material unique.
The vast majority of materials will have no net charge most of the time.
It's a magnetical field. Compare stone with a magnet and you wil find a great difference in charge.
There is no reason why a magnet would have a greater charge than a normal rock or crystal simply because it's magnetic.
Every living being has also it's own magnetic field (aura) and are unique. Some magnetical fields have their effects on living organism.
People are exposed to incredibly strong magnetic fields every time they have an mri scan, and there doesn't seem to be any health effects.

What is the scientific theory behind copper braclets?

I personally look down on magic mumbo jumbo and utterly ridiculous concepts like aura's etc. Don't get me wrong, RossM, I used to collect all kinds of semi-precious stones when I was a young boy (well younger, I'm only 22) they're cool, but I don't think they have magic properties, magnetic or not.

But I'm interested if there is a scientific theory behind this one.

Last edited:
One piece of advice : don't heed Alex Chiu's explanations.

I have a rock collection of over a thousand rocks/minerals. I have quite a few semiprecious specimens, but I don't think ions or magnets really have an appreciable effect on human physiology. It must be some sort of placebo.

I like diamonds and opals, they don't do anything for my health, But it sure as hell helps my wealth!. ;)

I don't believe in pseudo science.

Godless.

Blue_UK said:
What is the scientific theory behind copper braclets?

Copper bracelets when worn everyday, can supply copper through the skin. Usually your arm gets sweaty under bracelets and it is believed that the sweat allows copper atoms to enter the skin and blood.
Copper is very important in preventing arthritis and inflammatory condtions

Copper and the inflammation process." In advances in Inflammation Research Vol. 2, pp. 281-291

Copper is also used, like gemstones, to generate tiny currents in the body which are believed to improve circulation. It does this by creating magnetic fields.

I'm only 22) they're cool, but I don't think they have magic properties, magnetic or not.

Magnetism is not magic.

But I'm interested if there is a scientific theory behind this one.

Magnetism IS scientific

how about a placebo(sp?) effect?, You know the effect where people get better because they think they a getting the right treatment, be it in the form of pills or a rock.

Magnetism is not magic.

Of course I know that! I meant magnetic or not it makes FA difference.

Oh and thanks for the citation. Do you suppose that copper braclets work?

Kunax said:
how about a placebo(sp?) effect?, You know the effect where people get better because they think they a getting the right treatment, be it in the form of pills or a rock.

Could well be the placebo effect.

Probably a homeopathic effect. Minute particles are shedded from stone or metal may effect similarily to homeopathic remedies. Pls compare copper metal with Cuprum Met.
http://www.homeoint.org/books/boericmm/c/cupr.htm

However differant metals & stones can't be suited similarily to all people, There is an astrological basis which indicates how these can suits/effect you.

I know that when I bought my girlfriend a 2 K diamond ring she was very emotionaly charged, smiling, extremely delighted and made me feel very good! So some types of rocks do have profound effects on people.

Kunax said:

I am strongly inclined to accept this explanation. I love that blue shimmering, and it makes me feel good -- and that's it.

Nasor said:
Why do you even post things like this in a science forum?
We can check scientific basis of astrological mentioning here as this topic is more related to same.

Back