Seeing stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

h.g.Whiz

Registered Senior Member
One day at work I noticed out of the corner of my eye a brace swinging towards my head, I thought to my self "this is going to hurt", fortunately I moved my head quick enough and it missed me, but I still ended up seeing stars. Is pain totally mentally?

One day at work I noticed out of the corner of my eye a brace swinging towards my head, I thought to my self "this is going to hurt", fortunately I moved my head quick enough and it missed me, but I still ended up seeing stars. Is pain totally mentally?

"Stars" themselves aren't actually caused by pain. "Stars" are actually caused by photon reactions that come from molecules, which usually occur when there is a collision, like if something hits your head hard enough.

If you weren't hit and still saw them there are two possibilities:

one is that you moved fast enough and caused your brain to shift inside the skull (You'll be surprised just how much a human brain slops about during a day)

The other possibility is that it wasn't in fact the brain at all, but an optics lens momentary pressure change. (I won't say dis attachment because it didn't disattach, if it had, you'd know about it.) Such pressure changes (Which can occur just from the elasticity of the optics nerve "pulling" upon it.) can cause light dots too appear suddenly.(* I might not be 100% accurate with how the optics lens and nerve are effected, so by all means look to some human biological documentation) In fact it's one of the things usually mentioned in regards to parapsychology because some people mistake this occurrence for other more spectacular reasons. (i.e. Aliens)

In either sense though, you're probably lucky it missed otherwise you could of suffered memory loss or even brain damage. (If of course the mass of the brace and the velocity it was travelling was high enough to do that)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back