Seedless Watermelon

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
If I wanted to grow seedless watermelon in my garden, how would I? If they are seedless, there would be no seeds to plant, right?

Just buy one from the store and plant it deep in the ground and see what happens. :rolleyes:

I guess the thought never crossed your mind that they might have Seeds to grow "seedless" watermelon...or cucumbers.

If I wanted to grow seedless watermelon in my garden, how would I? If they are seedless, there would be no seeds to plant, right?

Proceed as follows:

1. Visit a nurseryman or whatever he is called over there.
2. Take cuttings from vine. Nake sure they have nodes.
3. Root in water, the cuttings not you.
4. Pot up in well drained compost
5. When plantlets appear, usually in about 5 years, plant ourt in garden.
6. Pick melons in second year.

So, follow my instructionsd and you can have seedless melons in about 7 years. You may like to consider putting them in your will in case you peg out before you have your first crop.

are you serious!? It takes that long?
Will I have to keep replanting the cuttings or will they continue to re-grow fruit year after year?

are you serious!? It takes that long?
Will I have to keep replanting the cuttings or will they continue to re-grow fruit year after year?

They'll be fine for about three years. But using fresh stock each year and a rotation program, you will prevent a build-up of disease. The sooner you start, the sooner you get to have melons. I take it you have an open sunny position in your garden .

Yes, right by a fence. Do I need to plant them on mounds?

Mounds would be the best bet, particularly if you are plagues by slugs, Melons like a "hot " head and "wet " feet. Can you get someone to look after them while you are on holiday. The plants need lots of water or the fruits shrivel.

So if I ordered one from a catalog, would they send me cuttings? Would it be best to get it from a nursery?
I want yellow seedless. Would they grow differently than red seedless?

So if I ordered one from a catalog, would they send me cuttings? Would it be best to get it from a nursery?
I want yellow seedless. Would they grow differently than red seedless?

Cultivation is the same for all types. You may get some vine cuttings in the post but a personal visit to the nursery is preferable as you can select what you want.

Does that mean seedless watermelons are all from the same plant? Wouldn't it be easy for a virus to wipe them out?

Back