Secular Christian Indoctrination

(Q)

Encephaloid Martini
Valued Senior Member
No. The "Sci" in Sciforums stands for 'Science". It is not a three-letter acronym for Secular Christian Indoctrination as some would think.

There is fine albeit small group of induviduals here that actually discuss science with knowledge and reasoning, Thed, Flamethrower, Mr. G, James R, to name a few. Thank you gentlemen!

Those who wish to "debate" (and I use the term loosely) religion will do so until the end of time, if such a thing were to happen. And even then, there would be an argument as to whether the end were due to a cosmic event like "The Big Crunch" for example, or God deemed it.

So on it will go with neither side the wiser.

God exists. God doesn't exist.

I'm right, you're wrong.

Endless. Boring. :rolleyes:

Q,

But, the fun is the debate, if it ended then that would be boring. And a conclusion? Yuck, heaven forbid! :D

Is the religion debate pointless? Only if you expect a conclusion, but the process of developing a reasoned argument and the effort to find the required evidence can be significant, fascinating, and satisfying.

But there are more important issues than simply having fun.

The debate between faith and reason has existed for millennia. Faith has had the upper hand for most of that time when ignorance and superstitions were rife and were the norm. Note that when Christianity ruled the world it was known as the dark ages. Religion no longer rules the world but it still has a powerful and unreasonable influence.

In centuries past scientists were persecuted, tortured and murdered by the ruling religionists. The fight by philosophers like myself has gradually worn away at the irrationality of religion and has allowed science to properly surface and make the massive impact in the world that we now all enjoy.

But there remain many religionists who are in positions of power and that is a threat for all of us. When the president of the USA depends on irrational faith when making policy that affects the whole world, then we are still in trouble.

Will the religion debate in this website change the world? No of course not, but there are countless debating sites now appearing on the Internet throughout the world. For the first time in human history we now have a fast communication method that is bringing debaters together. At the same time organizations like the International Atheist Alliance and the Freedom from Religion Foundation are undergoing massive increases in membership and support.

Science is now respected and its progress can no longer be stopped. The knowledge it brings will further reduce the influence of religion, but there will be many who cannot, are unable, or have not been taught, to think rationally. The recognition of the need to teach critical thinking must increase, and that is where such religious debates such as ours may help.

Hope that helps.
Cris

I don't see why science and religion are incompatible. Our definition of God may have to change, but they play similar, but complementary roles in understanding our place in the universe. Historically religion has caused a lot of problems through manipulations, but the social doctrines contained in religion are typically intelligent and well thought out.

The main problem with religion is that it seems to resist change. Anybody that thinks people had perfect understanding of god's words and they've been propagated accurately through translations and thousands of years are pretty foolish.

Science deals with what we can know and test, religion deals with what you can't.

Hi scilosopher,

I don't see why science and religion are incompatible.
The distinctions are very straightforward, and massive.

1. Science is the study of everything natural.
2. Religion is concerned with the supernatural.
3. These are exclusive opposites.

1. Science bases its conclusions on reason (logic, facts, and evidence).
2. Religion bases its conclusions on faith (no evidence or facts).
3. Reason and faith are exclusive opposites.

1. Since science is based on reason it is a rational discipline.
2. Since religion is based on faith it is an irrational belief system.
3. A rational system is clearly the opposite of an irrational system.

Our definition of God may have to change, but they play similar, but complementary roles in understanding our place in the universe.
How far do you want to change the definition of a god? If the definition remains based on the supernatural then that doesn’t change anything. And the roles are not complimentary they are strictly opposites, and I’ll show why in a moment.

Historically religion has caused a lot of problems through manipulations, but the social doctrines contained in religion are typically intelligent and well thought out.
Religions have caused enormous problems in the past, as you point out, and they continue to cause enormous problems, e.g. WTC attack.

The strictly religious components of the social doctrines are not well thought out, they are based on commands from an alleged authoritarian supernatural being for his benefit and not for the benefit of man. A secular set of guidelines can be more easily defined where the benefit of man is clearly the objective.

The main problem with religion is that it seems to resist change. Anybody that thinks people had perfect understanding of god's words and they've been propagated accurately through translations and thousands of years are pretty foolish.
And here I think we pretty much agree, although I could expand on that.

Science deals with what we can know and test, religion deals with what you can't.
Oh no this is quite wrong. Science is the search for knowledge and truth wherever that can be found. Religion is an attempt to indoctrinate people to believe baseless claims that it offers as truth.

Hope that helps
Cris

To have a religion , then for most you have to have a “God.” This “God” has to be a supernatural entity beyond mortal man’s total comprehension. If a religion does not have this omnipotent thing there is nothing in which to place one’s faith. And there’s the rub... Got to have the people forsaking the “fruit of the tree of knowledge” in favor of faith if you’re going to have sheep to be led by a shepherd.

Depending on the particular religion there can be many positions available for shepherding. Financial recompense for shepherding services rendered may not always be great, but there’s other compensations: power or influence over others--small and large scale--and acceptance into various (and supposedly desirable) societies.

No need to expand on this here as plenty have already explained how religion affects us all--world-wide--science enthusiasts or otherwise. Religion insists on trying to interfere with the progress of Science and of Man. Each group insisting it is more right than any other religion or philosophy about ALL things, and in doing this continues to try to hold Man’s mind or “soul” hostage.

Rub # 2: MANY people have a problem with that. Have for as long as religion has existed. Thus, debating over the proper ownership of one’s own mind, heart, body and soul seems a pretty natural outcome.

Rub# 3: MANY debates are futile because they’re not really debates. These are the ones that are boring. Here at sciforums, one side, for the most part, seems sincere about trying to communicate their concerns or objections to the other. Not all on this team remember to hold their tempers at all times, but do the better job overall AND will respond directly to another’s comments or questions in obviously honest attempts to understand and to be understood.

The other side seems to be caught up in a multi-tiered type of self-delusion, and the ongoing creation of this has happened before our eyes. It gives every impression of having been brought on by a self-perpetuating cause: a never-satisfied desire to belittle others and to keep something “stirred up.” The favorite debate “method” of side 2 is to attempt to rile the atheists, the casual doubter, or even one of their own who doesn’t play along... (attempt to rile in any way you dare, as often as you dare, and ignore any injury or insult you might inflict against another person and/or whatever comments/questions they offer ) because you KNOW we are right, and to Hell (literally) with everyone else. This side makes no secret about where they stand. A type of honesty, granted, but one of a distinctly different flavor.

So, Q... I agree. Boring! And as long as anyone from sciforum’s side 1 is willing to engage sciforum’s side 2 then yep, we might as well think in terms of “endless.”

What to do??

Dunno. Not exactly. Not as long Religion continues to give Man the level of grief it currently does. IF Religion ever ceased trying to convert men from individuals into mindless sheep, then Science would have little to gripe about. But the very nature of Religion is to convert.

So I think there’s at least one good reason for a real debate to be tolerated; the same reason why Science and Religion (as we now know them) aren’t compatible.

The good news?

Those with the desire to debate honorably are still free to do so.

~~~

Counterbalance

I'm not sure I need help, but I'm happy to discuss it if you want. I certainly admit that my interpretation of religion and god changes a lot of what people mean by the word. Then again there wouldn't be so much disagreement over religion if people as a whole agreed.

I will admit that a major reason I have even attempted to salvage any potential belief in god is because my parents are quite religious and it would hurt them if I told them I had given up on it outright and I certainly wouldn't want to lie to them. I also know many religious people in the church I attended growing up who were quite intelligent in their beliefs. They don't deny science or think they have the answers and understand god. As humans are flawed and they were the ones who took down his words they accept they can only be a guide and are themselves flawed. I see there belief in god and a will to do good a very good thing. I'm an agnostic myself, but I believe there are aspects of spirituality and belief in god that are beneficial and shouldn't be thrown out with many of the problems of organized religion.

First of all splitting the world into natural and supernatural makes no sense. There is what is real if something isn't real it doesn't exist. People can believe things exist and be wrong, but there is no such thing as supernatural and natural. If there is a god it definitely must be compatible with science. Then again a lot of science is messy and our interpretations of science are often flawed. Most non-scientists get a watered down version that is certainly not the truth any more than many religious writings. Also all theories we have are likely approximations, certainly useful and informative but not absolute truth in any sense. I'm getting a PhD in computational/developmental biology right now, so I want to to be clear that I think science is very useful and if anything am a stronger supporter of science. My only point is to not discount ALL of religion just because a lot of whackos are very religious.

There are still a lot of things we don't understand and know and when making decisions about things you have to depend on your beliefs, your intuitions, and maybe sometimes faith in something or someone. Because science is a social effort the whole process depends on faith in a system and the people that constitute the system for it to work. So you're just trading one faith for another. I fully support it but don't think that should be forgotten. The advantage of science is that you are given the opporunity to verify a scientists claims. Upon close investigation a lot of theories fail to be correct, although the data presented is verifiable. In some ways religions were the theories of the time. Not eating pork had a scientific reason. There has been a lot of social thought and useful philosophy that has been tied in to religion. It is not all flawed. One just has to use their head in what they believe in religion just as in science. Come on how many scientific papers have you read that didn't hold water?

Cris,

Many scientists disagree with you. Here's another point of view.

The distinctions [between science and religion] are very straightforward, and massive.

1. Science is the study of everything natural.
2. Religion is concerned with the supernatural.
3. These are exclusive opposites.
Point 3 does not follow from 1 and 2. An alternative would be that science and religion deal with different things. They are not opposites, but work in different arenas, which are perhaps complementary.

1. Science bases its conclusions on reason (logic, facts, and evidence).
2. Religion bases its conclusions on faith (no evidence or facts).
3. Reason and faith are exclusive opposites.
Religion has evidence, but the evidence is seldom of the objective kind science demands. As above, reason and faith are not necessarily exclusive opposites. There is faith in certain axioms of science.

1. Since science is based on reason it is a rational discipline.
2. Since religion is based on faith it is an irrational belief system.
3. A rational system is clearly the opposite of an irrational system.
Religion is not obviously irrational. Many intelligent people follow a religion. Why would they do that if it was clearly irrational?

James R,
Glad to have some support from someone in the accepted science bin. I would prefer a bin marked scilosopher for myself, but I'm not sure they have that bin yet and I'm not sure which one I'm in for the time being.

With a little support I am willing to admit that I have had many frustrating conversations with religious people and am sympathetic to the perspective I am arguing against. I'm just sympathetic with the other side too (I've had a lot of frustrating conversations with people about science too). If there is truth it seems to show up in the strangest places as far as I can tell.

scilosopher,

Another angle on this that I hope can help to bridge some gaps...

The term “religion” as I’ve often seen it used here at sciforums doesn’t include every single person who has faith in some kind of higher power. “The Faithful,” as I tend to use the phrase, is a reference to those who can’t see beyond their own faith. I can’t speak for all, but I think that because most of these 'debates' are not expected to be taken too seriously, (and with good cause considering some of the input offered) less care is taken in trying to be specific.

Most of those who post most frequently in the Religion Forum seem to know what the real, time-worn debate is over. There are some strong similarities between Science and Religion--similar flaws or shortcomings. I don't think I've read any post claiming this isn't true. Not all skeptics or non-believers who express themselves here see Science as the total answer to all of Man’s dilemmas or hopes. And not everyone thinks that no good at all has ever come from Mankind’s experience (experiment?) with Religion.

That said, you’ve made some valid points. The kind that deserve consideration. I think there’s still a goodly amount of open-mindedness in those who have been crying up “Science” around here, only seldom have they been given a good reason to take the time to demonstrate this. Attempts to do so are too often met with ignorance and hostility.

Again, I don’t speak for all. And while I don't have all the answers either, I don't think it's hopeless. Science and Religion may find a way to co-exist more peacefully.

Someday.

Just another view.

~~~

Counterbalance

JR and sci,

I guess that’s what comes of being too brief. Sorry, I’ll expand a little.

To cut a very long story short the debate between faith and reason comes down to a question of epistemology, i.e. how do we determine what is knowledge. Science claims that for anything to be knowledge it must be based on evidence. Religion claims that no such requirement is needed.

The opposites come from religion insisting that supernatural gods and spirits exist and a faith based belief in this claim is all that is required for the claim to be true, and science that says that without evidence the claim cannot be stated as true or valid knowledge.

So James I must disagree that science and religion work in different arenas. They are both trying to establish knowledge and truth and this is definitely the same arena, the essential difference is one of methodology.

As for religious evidence: Yes Ok we could argue that the definitions of what constitutes evidence are one of quality. And this is a topic in it’s own right. Let’s say that religious evidence and scientific evidence represent two extremes on the quality scale. I would see them as opposite in that respect. But religionists make endless and desperate claims for evidence and none have been found. Note that if any evidence was ever found to support the existence of a god then the subject would leave a religious focus and would enter the world of science and established knowledge. I.e. the god would then be available to scientific investigation.

Religious faith specifically does not require any evidence before one believes the claims. This is technically an irrational belief. A rational belief is based on reason and a reasoned argument requires evidence. Do you see how reason and faith becomes opposites in this respect?

Religion is not obviously irrational. Many intelligent people follow a religion. Why would they do that if it was clearly irrational?
At their basic level and technically most religions are irrational (I’ll exclude Deism for now). Anyone, regardless of intelligence, who chooses to believe something that cannot be shown to be true, is technically irrational. I was not necessarily using the term in the typical derogatory sense.

Religions also usually include complex social and moral rules that significantly deflect attention away from the basics. Many intelligent people are attracted to these aspects and prefer to ignore the underlying irrationality of the religion. There remains no demonstrable evidence that the supernatural exists. To believe otherwise is irrational.

For example if I was to state as true that an invisible, immaterial green elephant created the universe, but did not provide any evidence, would you say my belief is rational or irrational? The same applies to all religions that claim an invisible and immaterial entity created the universe. There is no essential qualitative difference between the two claims.

Scilosopher

The word faith has many interpretations and has been the subject of many threads in philosophy and religion. Many variations of the word used in everyday life do in fact depend on some form of evidence. E.g. one has faith in one’s doctor. But here your faith is based on the evidence of referrals or qualifications. The word faith when used in a religious context is not interchangeable with other uses of the word at least when discussing reason versus faith. The usage of the word is fraught with confusion and this is not the place to debate it, at least I don’t think so.

Cris

The only way to win is to NOT play the game.

With practice one can hold “mutually exclusive” ideas. Most anyone can hold two. Combining innate ability and dedicated practice this hamster is up to FIVE.

(Scilosopher what are you doing here? Weren’t we playing on other threads?)

Being supported by a hamster might hurt Scilosopher’s position. (Hamsters do much of the leg work in science but are seldom appreciated for their contributions.) Welcome or not, Imahamster would proudly share the Scilosopher bin. (Surprisingly few humans enjoy the pleasure of uninvited rodents.)

Ahem…what does a hamster believe?

There is not one right way. It’s good that Mr. Q, Chris, Scilosopher, Counterbalance, and James R follow their own paths. This hamster also prefers the path of science and has enjoyed their company on the journey.

This hamster believes one can be a scientist and believe in God or Karma or in a Benign Universe or in the Divine Hamster. Hamster “science” lets a hamster be a scientist and lets a scientist be a human.

This hamster does understand the need to fight dogma. Any time one group tries to force its beliefs on others there is going to be confrontation. There are religious groups whose beliefs are leading to direct conflict with both science and tolerant religious beliefs. This hamster would rather not drive away people who would be friends in these conflicts. Would rather that science be inclusive rather than be exclusive.

Chris, this hamster also supports the goal of teaching rational thought and critical reasoning. Hopefully children may learn the joy and excitement of learning and discovery.

As for Counterbalance…well, Counterbalance has promised to be the bane of this hamster’s existence. What more could one ask from a good friend? :D

Cris,

Perhaps I need to expand on what I said, too. :)

<i>Science claims that for anything to be knowledge it must be based on evidence. Religion claims that no such requirement is needed.</i>

A Christian might well claim that he has evidence. He has a personal relationship with God. He has the bible. He has the word of millions of other believers. All that is evidence. It is just not the kind of evidence that science accepts as valid, and it is that fact which puts religion in a different arena from science.

<i>They are both trying to establish knowledge and truth and this is definitely the same arena, the essential difference is one of methodology.</i>

I agree the methodologies are different. But in many cases the quality of knowledge sought is also different. Science mainly asks "how" questions about the world. Religion is a philosophical discipline which seeks to address the "why" questions which science cannot.

<i>But religionists make endless and desperate claims for evidence and none have been found.</i>

See above. Also, please don't confuse real religions with pseudosciences like Creationism. Creationism claims to be a science, not a religion. As science it fails miserably because it presents no scientific evidence. Real religions have their own standards of evidence which do not rely on scientific expectations. They are not in conflict with science.

<i>Note that if any evidence was ever found to support the existence of a god then the subject would leave a religious focus and would enter the world of science and established knowledge.</i>

True. Religion is philosophy.

<i>Religious faith specifically does not require any evidence before one believes the claims.</i>

It does not require it, but I think you'll find that most intelligent believers consider they have evidence which bolsters their faith.

<i>Anyone, regardless of intelligence, who chooses to believe something that cannot be shown to be true, is technically irrational.</i>

That's an interesting statement. Let's say I had Corn Flakes for breakfast last Tuesday. Nobody can prove that my statement is true, yet they might well believe me. Importantly, <i>I</i> believe my statement is true even though I cannot now prove it to anyone. Is it irrational for me to believe I ate Corn Flakes last Tuesday? Is it irrational for somebody to take my word for it?

Of course, I could be lying. My word is not Gospel. We can certainly say that there is now no evidence that would scientifically establish the truth or otherwise of my statement. But what evidence we have is surely more persuasive than nothing.

<i>There remains no demonstrable evidence that the supernatural exists.</i>

Of course not (caveat: we're talking scientific evidence here). By definition "supernatural" things are beyond nature, and hence beyond science, which is the study of the natural world.

<i>For example if I was to state as true that an invisible, immaterial green elephant created the universe, but did not provide any evidence, would you say my belief is rational or irrational?</i>

If you provided no evidence of any kind, I would be sceptical of your claim, but I could not dismiss it completely. With more detail, I might find that your story clashes with known facts about the universe, but given your statement alone it is too soon to judge. My gut feeling is that your statement is probably false, for all kinds of reasons, but it is conceivable that I could be wrong.

<i>The same applies to all religions that claim an invisible and immaterial entity created the universe. There is no essential qualitative difference between the two claims.</i>

I agree, but in the case of established religions we have more information available about the workings of the purported God(s).

Cris,
I generally think what you post is intelligent and enjoy reading it, but the fact that you seem so convinced you're right all the time is not healthy for intelligent inquiry into the world. Just taking more time doesn't mean we will agree with you.

Nobody I have met and presumably nobody I ever will has the whole story. The most important role of being human is sifting through our heritage of thought and picking out the pieces that are keys to how to live in and understand our world. Some of them exist in the religious arena. That is my main point. Maybe all religions that exist are wrong. Being a philosopher (?), you seem hung up on definitions. Maybe they have gotten some of their definitions wrong. Maybe you have defined some things incorrectly or misunderstood. One of the most important things I learned from Christianity is forgiveness. Not only in forgiving peoples actions, but the exact wording they choose. It is bound to be flawed. You have to sometimes think about what they might mean behind the words to get the seeds of wisdom.

Personally I've gotten a lot out of the philosophy I've read and am certainly no expert, but there seems to have been a lot of confusion in some philosophy over wording (though this is exceedingly difficult to tell when you're reading translations). Many philosophers still disagree on many points. Don't just give the philosophy spiel you believe and not think about the possibilities. That is just as bad as having faith in a flawed religion, it is just that yours has been based on reason from more observable and tangible facts.

That being said, I'm sure you do have insight into some potential flaws of religion. It's too bad that religions don't seem to always evolve so easily or well and new ones are typically cracked. Personally I think having your own religious beliefs are a good way to avoid trouble. Once it reaches that point though religion is not what it once was and the debate over validity begins to be less of an issue. At some point even philosophy has to make assumptions and have beliefs that are as yet unproven or maybe unprovable. Maybe I just have a personal philosophy that takes from religion and not religious beliefs. I don't know how one would classify it and since it is personal I usually don't have to and haven't thought about it much. Any suggestions?

Imahamster,
You are welcome in my bin any time you want. But anyone who is as much of and individual as you truly deserves their own bin.

The threads I have been playing on were getting slow and I figured I'd poke around a bit. I keep hearing about this religion science war that goes on here and I've never gotten involved. Or read too much. And I'm still scared of starting the \777 thread. Too many pages too little time to play on sciforums ... and I like to talk too.

This looked like the perfect short and recent thread to get my feet wet. The water feels a bit warm though, I might just chat about other things where people seem less dogmatic and fixed in their beliefs.

JR,
Good point by point arguments. I think though that the way to resolving conflict and working towards mutual understanding lies along a different path myself ...

Scilosopher

I will admit that a major reason I have even attempted to salvage any potential belief in god is because my parents are quite religious and it would hurt them if I told them I had given up on it outright and I certainly wouldn't want to lie to them.

I was hesitant to engage you in the 'Minor Observations' thread due to your need to assimilate religion and science. Now I understand why. There would appear to be some turmoil within. Your empathy towards your family and friends overwhelms your desire to shake off the fetters of religious indoctrination. The need to embrace scientific thought is being suppressed by peer pressure, although the suppression is currently all in your mind. You're busting at the seams to engage science wholly and completely but you will not do so simply to appease others.

Frankly, I think you are at a crossroads. You can't decide which way to turn hence your desire to assimilate science and religion. In order to cease this turmoil you need to make a decision. Do you stand your ground and embrace science outright against your family and friends wishes or do you give in to the religious fantasy and live your life thusly? If you do neither, the turmoil within will quickly degrade the sanity that is you.

Cris and James R

Both of you are two of the most interesting members of this forum and I value your input. You're also both in the forefront of the science/religion debate. However it's clear that you're not on the same page. Business 101 should tell you to have an internal meeting to discuss the game plan before engaging the customer. You don't want to be discussing logistics during that engagement. The customer would not be impressed.

If you wish to do battle with religious groups, you need to make sure you're arguments extend from the same roots. If you can't agree what it is your debating about then the other side has already won. Your arguments become pointless and wind up cannon fodder for the other side.

Counterbalance

..one side, for the most part, seems sincere about trying to communicate their concerns or objections to the other. The other side seems to be caught up in a multi-tiered type of self-delusion.. a never-satisfied desire to belittle others and to keep something “stirred up.”

Good points. You have hit the perennial nail on the head. It is exactly these reasons that make the debate so utterly endless and boring.
I was told before that if I didn't like the religious debates in this forum that I should go elsewhere, or at the very least, stick to the science portion of this forum. Balderdash and Poppycock!! This is a science forum first and foremost. Let the religious fanatics go elsewhere. There are plenty of other forums in which to debate the existence of supernatural beings. Be gone the purveyors of fantasy!

Jr, Sci,

Some great points and quite enjoyable

James

A Christian might well claim that he has evidence. He has a personal relationship with God. He has the bible. He has the word of millions of other believers. All that is evidence. It is just not the kind of evidence that science accepts as valid, and it is that fact which puts religion in a different arena from science.
Yes I agree, and these are among the essential arguments in epistemology; what is it that represents evidence?

For both sides of the debate to reach any kind of consensus then both need to agree on common rules. The religion vs science debate is quite different from say two scientists debating opposing views of a given theory; eventually they should reach agreement because they share the same rules for evidence. Religion and science will never be able to agree. As I stated elsewhere in another topic, it is much like the two sides are playing different games, say basketball and baseball, but both think there is only one game in play.

Even you admit here that the kinds of evidence are different. Is it two arenas or are they opposites? We could debate definitions for a long time, but I think we agree; they are very different. What constitutes an arena? What constitutes an opposite? It is good enough to recognize that there is a difference.

There is another important issue that distracts many from seeing the religious issue clearly. The scientific method is relatively very new, and for most of human history it has been the priests that have offered the final rulings and wisdom. That legacy for final truth is still with us and manifests itself in a majority view. Your statement, for example, that millions of others believe the same thing, is considered evidence: Is typical of seeing religious beliefs as a valid method for establishing knowledge. The basis for these beliefs stem from past ignorance (when modern science did not exist) and widespread superstitions (fear of the unknown), which have been propagated for millennia. For example not so long ago almost everyone on the planet believed the world was flat. This wasn’t evidence just an irrational (lack of evidence) belief. The majority can be wrong and truth isn’t determined by a popular vote. The issues are further exacerbated by so many people who so desperately ‘want’ to believe and that necessarily affects their choice between a religion and cold hard scientific facts.

Having considered the issues for several decades I have become convinced of what I consider valid evidence. I am sure religionists would claim the same for their case. From my perspective this means that science is incompatible with religion, since their objectives are based on ‘different’ ground rules.

I agree the methodologies are different. But in many cases the quality of knowledge sought is also different. Science mainly asks "how" questions about the world. Religion is a philosophical discipline which seeks to address the "why" questions which science cannot.
That’s a nice distinction but I believe it is not true.

The purpose of science is not just about ‘how’ but is concerned with the establishment of knowledge. And answering the question of ‘why’ is just as valid a piece of knowledge as is knowing ‘how’.

Taken from another thread that Q started: The definition of science is, "the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena."

Just the terms, ‘identification’ and ‘explanation’, indicate a need to answer ‘why’ as well as ‘how’. I agree that science is usually very good at answering ‘how’, but the question of ‘why’ is still an objective, and in many cases there simply isn’t enough evidence to answer ‘why’. We need patience and a need to continue searching. But religion cannot wait; it has already decided that it knows ‘why’. My perspective is that it cannot know ‘why’ because the evidence isn’t in yet, and of course that brings us back to what is meant by evidence.

The distinction is more like religion is only concerned about ‘why’ and has little interest in ‘how’, and science is concerned with both ‘why’ and ‘how’ and has established precise disciplines to achieve both objectives. Religion has no such methodologies. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions as to which approach is most likely to result in real truth and knowledge.

And really science is very good at answering many ‘whys’. Consider the periodic table and the question of ‘why do some atoms behave differently from others’. The determination of ‘how’ extends to answering the questions of ‘why’. In the same way that at one time we didn’t have a periodic table we could neither answer how or why. The ultimate question of why does life exist or how do big bangs form, are simply unanswerable at this time, science needs to do more work. Jumping to conclusions that a supernatural being did it is ……… I’ll let you fill in the blanks.

<i>Religious faith specifically does not require any evidence before one believes the claims.</i>

It does not require it, but I think you'll find that most intelligent believers consider they have evidence which bolsters their faith.
Yes I agree and this is an essential part of the religion vs science debate and the epistemology argument. Just what is evidence and is it suitable for the determination of truth.

<i>Anyone, regardless of intelligence, who chooses to believe something that cannot be shown to be true, is technically irrational.</i>

That's an interesting statement. Let's say I had Corn Flakes for breakfast last Tuesday. Nobody can prove that my statement is true, yet they might well believe me. Importantly, <i>I</i> believe my statement is true even though I cannot now prove it to anyone. Is it irrational for me to believe I ate Corn Flakes last Tuesday? Is it irrational for somebody to take my word for it?
Now I think you know better than that. I’m sure you realize that most of science is based on inductive reasoning (e.g. statistical probability). I’m sure you are also aware that there is no such thing as an absolute proof, since to have such a thing one must have total knowledge of the whole universe.

Many people might well choose to believe your statement is true if they have past evidence that the things you claim have turned out to be true. Simple statistics indicates that believing you this time is a good bet. Most of science operates this way. The evidence is your past record. This is inductive logic.

If I had no such evidence of your past record then I would withhold belief. I simply would not be able to reach a conclusion either way. What would be irrational is if I claimed with absolute certainty that you did in fact have corn flakes that day. I might be right or wrong. The point is that I would be making a claim for ‘knowledge’ and without evidence that claim is untrue, i.e. I wouldn’t KNOW. There is famous saying about this, something like ‘claiming something is true without knowing is just as deceitful as lying’.

Religionists use the same technique. They claim they KNOW, but they cannot know, since the evidence is inadequate or totally missing. They may indeed be correct, but they are not exercising skepticism or maintaining a healthy hypothesis, they are claiming certainty. That I maintain is irrational.

<i>For example if I was to state as true that an invisible, immaterial green elephant created the universe, but did not provide any evidence, would you say my belief is rational or irrational?</i>

If you provided no evidence of any kind, I would be sceptical of your claim, but I could not dismiss it completely. With more detail, I might find that your story clashes with known facts about the universe, but given your statement alone it is too soon to judge. My gut feeling is that your statement is probably false, for all kinds of reasons, but it is conceivable that I could be wrong.
Superb. This is the very basis for atheism. The disbelief of a claim is not the same as saying it is false. I think you now have a very accurate idea of my position.

<i>The same applies to all religions that claim an invisible and immaterial entity created the universe. There is no essential qualitative difference between the two claims.</i>

I agree, but in the case of established religions we have more information available about the workings of the purported God(s).
And here is where I spend much of my time. The claimed working of alleged gods I suspect are all based on earlier mythologies and there is considerable effort to support those views. And that is the subject of yet more religious topics.

Take care
Cris

Q,

Cris and James R

Both of you are two of the most interesting members of this forum and I value your input. You're also both in the forefront of the science/religion debate. However it's clear that you're not on the same page. Business 101 should tell you to have an internal meeting to discuss the game plan before engaging the customer. You don't want to be discussing logistics during that engagement. The customer would not be impressed.

If you wish to do battle with religious groups, you need to make sure you're arguments extend from the same roots. If you can't agree what it is your debating about then the other side has already won. Your arguments become pointless and wind up cannon fodder for the other side.
Q I agree, and I think JR and myself are still exploring the rules and assumptions. I believe that JR is managing to restrain my assertiveness, and I hope I am revealing issues that JR has not considered yet.

Cris

Q,
First of all my parents support my interest in science and my father was an engineer and understands a lot of science. Einstein believed in god and he is considered one of the greatest scientists of all time. There certainly are conflicts between science and religion in practice, but I'm not sure there have to be. Which isn't to say I'm a huge fan of organized religion. It has issues. Don't throw out the baby with the dirty diapers.

I am happy that I didn't give up on religion because there is much to learn from it even if it isn't what the religion intends to teach. I think I would be more likely to go insane if I didn't approach the world as flexibly as I do. I don't see dismissing important gems of human contemplation as the answer.

Cris,
I'm glad you found my comments interesting even if you didn't respond to them. While I don't want to get involved in your and JRs discussion as I have a different perspective from him and it would get to confusing, I do have one point I want to make.

In practice science is a social enterprise and majority opinion among the experts in a field is VERY important. Data can be interpretted many ways. There is peer review for publication. Indeed how does one determine what science says? Ask a scientist. If you pick and choose who to ask you have choice in what science says and that doesn't seem right (and you're back at the priest says problem). If you pick at random it is a probabilistic majority rules, if you poll it is majority rules (I suppose you could wieght people based on intelligence or some other criteria - but that's back towards the priest problem).

The main difference between Science and Religion is the amount of information you are supposed to have access to. In many religions interpretation and the details of what to believe is up to the individual, that was the main basis of most of the protestant movement in Christianity. Buddhism from the amount I've read seems to be based on a path of inquiry. Science has only improved the situation, it hasn't changed it completely. It has made us more informed about the quality of the world. There are still many things you just can't know and it is important to have beliefs about them. The reductionism that sometimes comes with science is not a good thing. We have only been able to understand relatively simple phenomena. Read some dynamics books ... we just can't handle most nonlinear phenomena. Most of our social world is nonlinear and a lot of religion provides insight to this. In buddhism for example this insight is based on experience and thought. Which is really pretty scientific even if it doesn't quite fit the bill ...

Scilosopher,

I generally think what you post is intelligent and enjoy reading it, but the fact that you seem so convinced you're right all the time is not healthy for intelligent inquiry into the world. Just taking more time doesn't mean we will agree with you.
If I appear arrogant, then I apologize, that was not my intention. After several decades of investigation I have become quite convinced of the accuracy and validity of my approach. And I think I can understand your position.

There is a book ‘The Case Against God’ by George C Smith. Smith is a strong atheist and when I read his book for the first time I was dismayed at his apparent arrogance and hostility. As I dig deeper into the issues and see how so many people have been deluded and convinced of false methods then I guess I have reached the same conclusions and attitudes as Smith. I have become what I once thought was inappropriate.

I see you as partly how I used to be. There are clearly some issues you have not considered yet, and I agree I am unlikely to convince you in a few posts here. At best I hope I can encourage you to consider the issues and search further for yourself, and that could take years.

The fact that you have observed an issue in my approach tells me that I need to take greater care, and for that you have my thanks.

As for religious wisdom: I agree that most religions appear to offer something of value, certainly in areas like, forgiveness, love and understanding. But if you look more closely you should see that all these good points can exist quite perfectly outside of a religious framework and most, if not all, came from earlier philosophies.

At some point even philosophy has to make assumptions and have beliefs that are as yet unproven or maybe unprovable. Maybe I just have a personal philosophy that takes from religion and not religious beliefs. I don't know how one would classify it and since it is personal I usually don't have to and haven't thought about it much. Any suggestions?
Some great points. The temptation to believe that something JUST HAS TO BE TRUE, is one of the greatest dangers we face. No matter how strongly you feel about something you always run the risk of being totally wrong, especially if there is no evidence or very poor evidence. To resist that temptation may be very difficult and it takes significant personal discipline. I believe there are only two valid approaches to life –

1. If proof and significant or overwhelming evidence is available then live as if the claim is true. But remember there is no such thing as an absolute proof (except maybe in mathematics).

2. If there is no proof and very questionable evidence then simply disbelieve the claim until the claimants can better support their claim.

I do not believe there is ever any need to believe something that may well be false, to do so means you may be living in a delusion which could affect your long term survival.

I have just described atheism. Or if you dislike that term then secular Humanism sounds like it would fit you quite well. But labels don’t always fit and you need to define your own standards, and that takes time.

Cris

Cris,
If you think of science as a good guide to living in the world around you because it is the best estimate of what we know to be true, remember there are things we know we don't understand. Does that mean we don't make use of beliefs in how to guide us in these areas? Yes science and what we have strong evidence to believe (or essentially know) should be used as a guide in formulating these beliefs, but we need belief. Hypotheses are a type of belief or idea and they essentially guide science in this regard.

I'm just and egg ... until I know everything I feel I need beliefs to guide me.

EDIT: interesting how you say you don't believe we need beliefs ... ;)

Back