Sean Carrol's Advice

Dave Lush

Registered Senior Member
Ben, thanks for posting this link:

http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/06/19/the-alternative-science-respectability-checklist/#more-1275

Based on reading his item #2 I am actually changing my approach in my attempt to get my paper published.

But I think it's worth a critical examination of what Carrol's demanding. It points to what I think is a fundamental closed-mindedness on the part of professional physicists and the physics establishment. Seems to me he is taking a very childish position, at least if it's extrapolated from being his personal demands for reviewing something somebody sends him out of the blue to what does it take to actually get a physics journal to review your paper.

The way I see it, Carrol is basically saying, in order for the physics establishment to review your discovery, the non-professional physicist has to not only make a discovery (and write the paper), he's got to interpret the implications of that discovery and explain why it's important. This is not a fair demand, seems to me. There will be discoveries for which the implications are not so obvious. The amateur physicist is not necessarily equipped to understand the implications. That may be why he wants to publish his paper. That is, so that professional physicists can see it and figure out what the implications of it are. This might take a long time so getting it into print and out there is maybe the only way to do it.

So, the attitude I get is, professional physics says, "Even though it is our job to review physics ideas and determine their correctness and novelty, we won't do it unless you sugar-coat it for us."

When I submitted my paper to Physical Review (E), I expected that, no matter what, the paper would get reviewed, and I would find out:

a) Is my conclusion correct or incorrect?

b) Is it previously known?

Seems to me these are the only relevant criteria. Other than that it should be just a question of what journal should publish it.

If you remember as I have mentioned probably several times, my paper was rejected without review. In effect, the editor said, "We don't publish that kind of paper in our journal, that might have totally new stuff in it." But of course they have published a number of papers along these lines in the past, which is why I sent it to PRE. Hans C Von Baeyer's for one, and probably 4 or 5 by Jayme De Luca, and others I could name.

The real reason they don't want to publish an amateur paper seems to me is that your typical amateur physics paper is going to be rather naively written. The professional physicists can spot this in an instant. The journal editor thinks it will reflect poorly on himself and his journal. Why take a chance when he can easily simply blow the amateur off?

I want to add, it would also be fair for them to say, ok this is correct and not previously known, but it's not significant because of such and such. But there should be restrictions on that such and such. That is, it isn't fair to say, it's not significant because if it were true it would mean certain things we believe very strongly must be wrong and we're not prepared to contemplate that. In that case there's an obligation to either find the flaw or publish, or even forward to an appropriate venue.

Imagine everybody believes the world is flat but you've just discovered that the evidence points to the world being round. So you write your paper up and submit it. Also, you don't bother to wrote a hokey introduction imagining what are the implications and why is it important that the world is round not flat. That's not science after all. You just want to get your work published and if it turns out a lot of people are upset because they've got a vested interest in the world being flat that's not your problem. But instead of getting a response of either, "your analysis is flawed here" or "your paper is accepted", you are told, "we don't publish new ideas in our journal". Well that's about how I feel.

But, I'm not letting it get to me. I'm continuing to work and I'm making good progress and I'm rewriting two papers hopefully less naively and if I must sugar coat them for the babies I will. Next time I will send it to a journal that I hope will be more circumspect.

BTW, did I mention that H.C. von Baeyer did read my paper and comment on it for me? I c an post what he said. He didn't find any errors, but he said, basically, it is out of style.

The way I see it, Carrol is basically saying, in order for the physics establishment to review your discovery, the non-professional physicist has to not only make a discovery (and write the paper), he's got to interpret the implications of that discovery and explain why it's important.

Hi Dave,
I'm not sure how you get that impression... which of Sean's three points implies that you must interpret the implications of your discovery and explain its importance?

Based on reading his item #2 ...

So, you can't even be bothered to read my post carefully before moving it to pseudoscience?

I am not going to discuss it here. It was meant a serious comment about science, and it is based on real experience trying to get my amateur paper publish, which, several professional and at least one fairly well known physicists have read and commented on and no of them have called it pseudoscience. I am taking beaucoup offence at this. After all the crap the moderators put up with here you move my serious post.

Good day to you.

The way I see it, Carrol is basically saying, in order for the physics establishment to review your discovery, the non-professional physicist has to not only make a discovery (and write the paper), he's got to interpret the implications of that discovery and explain why it's important.
That's not what he's saying, but any scientist will tell you you'd better have evidence for your discovery. Anyway the second point in Carrol's article concerns the compatibility of your discovery with more established theories. If you have an idea that contradicts a theory that has worked for physicists for the last fifty years and you seem to not care, you may like to see yourself as open-minded for your willingness to toss the old theory aside, but you'll just come off as ignorant. Don't expect to be able to give the physics community "helpful" hints or ideas if you don't have a solid background in physics. You really don't want to be a back seat driver.
So, the attitude I get is, professional physics says, "Even though it is our job to review physics ideas and determine their correctness and novelty, we won't do it unless you sugar-coat it for us."
This statement suggests a misplacement of the burden of proof on your part. If you submit an idea for review, it's not the reviewer's job to either disprove or publish the article. It's your job to make a case for your idea. Assume that anyone reading your paper will be asking themself "Why should I believe this guy?". If you don't have an answer to that, or you've got nothing more than a gut feeling (aka "faith") that you're on to something, you'll just be ignored.

Scientific theories are ultimately judged on their ability to correctly predict physical phenomena and by Occam's razor, so if your idea is unfalsifiable and doesn't make any testable predictions, it isn't science and you may wish to consider classifying it as "philosophy" or "metaphysics". If your idea is intended as a replacement for an existing theory, then it's only likely to be considered if you can show:

• that it explains all the experimental observations that the old theory explains. Since a well established theory will be extremely well tested, the best approach here is to prove mathematically that your theory and the old one make approximately the same predictions in the old theory's domain of applicability.
  • what predictions it makes that disagree with the old theory (ie. how they can be experimentally distinguished) and/or what problems with the old theory it solves. Basically the idea here is to show in some objective sense that your theory is "better" than the old one.
Both conditions require a detailed understanding of contemporary physics to satisfy, which is why we don't really have successful "amateur physicists". In addition, most laymen have little or no idea how science really works and only have the distorted view of it presented by the media to go on. The Wikipedia article on "popular science" makes a point of this.

Anyway, that's some generic advice you're free to follow or ignore as you see fit.

Pete: Maybe we need a "philosophy of science" subforum for threads like this one?

Back