Sea animals and storms

water

the sea
Registered Senior Member
I am wondering:

When there are storms at sea, in the middle of an ocean, and there is rain and high waves and lightning and thunderstroke -- where are the fish then?
Do they swim to lower level in the water?
What about air-breathing animals, like whales and dolphins? Do they surface for air when there is a thunderstorm going on?

Diving with a Sperm Whale
The very idea terrifies me, but let's go on a dive with a sperm whale.
We start at the surface. Our sperm whale is getting ready to go hunting. Her hunting grounds are where the squid and other tasty sea creatures are bountiful - a world where "the sun don't shine." Straight down. Way down. Into total cold crushing blackness.
If our whale has just come up from a dive she first spends 10 minutes or more clearing her lungs, blowing a breath in and out every 12 seconds. She's getting rid of old carbon dioxide from the last dive and loading up with fresh oxygen. She's got to store up a lot of oxygen because she will be holding her breath for the next 45 to 60 minutes.

http://www.ftexploring.com/askdrg/askdrgalapagos2.html

It's quite amazing really because we've sent probes to other planets. we've taken photos from the surface of Mars. Built a space station. Yet we have never been to the bottom of the ocean.

But i doubt there's anything exciting there anyway so who cares.

But what about dolphins and other whales that can't hold their breath for such long periods of time?

Do they swim away from the place of the storm?

What about sea otters that live in the ocean their whole life, never going to shore?
What do they do in storms?

water said:
But what about dolphins and other whales that can't hold their breath for such long periods of time?

I'd imagine they surface for air just as usual in the hazy waters and quickly sink back down. LIke someone mentioned: they can't drown and I doubt they'd get hit by lightening in the amount of time they surface for air.

Do they swim away from the place of the storm?

They might but storms on the oceans can extend for hundreds of miles.

I can't imagine that they care much, it might be a little scary but I highly doubt that they act any differently. Why stay under the water longer than normal? To avoid the rain?

curioucity said:
How about tsunamis? What do aquatic creatures do about it?

I doubt they even notice it. Since a tsunami is only a foot or so higher than the normal swells in the middle of the ocean.

Back