Sciforums supported by software designed to assist copyright-violators?

Nasor

Valued Senior Member
Is anyone a little bothered that sciforums is largely supported by sales of Acquisition, a program designed to help people break copyright laws on P2P networks? Just curious…

You can leave any time you want.

Or better yet, provide the nessesary funds to allow threads like this to exist.

To make it a little more literal I assume, your advocating this usage of the funds made available through the sale of an application that takes advantage of peer to peer networks that trade in illegaly copied software. To complain about it just makes further usage of these funds neccesary. So by complaining about it, your making it more neccesary that it's done. So instead of elightening people, you make the problem worse. Good job.

The edit is because I forgot a critical "s"

Man, what the heck is your problem? I'm just trying to stimulate discussion in the Ethics and Morality forum, which has been pretty dead lately. I seriously doubt that my post will increase the number of Acquisition licenses sold or the amount of piracy that goes on.

Originally posted by Nasor
Man, what the heck is your problem? I'm just trying to stimulate discussion in the Ethics and Morality forum, which has been pretty dead lately.

By criticising the way the site is supported? Would you rather there be no SciForums? If your "just trying to stimulate discussion", havn't you succeded? Is it possible that I wasn't trying to insult you, but rather support an opposing viewpoint with a strong tone?

I seriously doubt that my post will increase the number of Acquisition licenses sold or the amount of piracy that goes on.

Nor I. Was this the point of your post? I thought the point was to try and open our minds to the possibly illegal supporting of this site. If you were doing that, then why not boycott the site so it's bandwidth usage decreases, and he uses less money that comes from a program that supports illegal acivity?

I apologize if my lack of clearity in my first post led to a miscommunication of words. I did not mean to offend you, merely to open your mind to different viewpoints. My apologies again on this appart lack of understanding.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand the first post. What exactly is the link between sciforums and P2P networks?

He was speaking of [urlhttp://www.sciforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=72]seemingly secrect[/url] portion of sciforums. also available at www.xlife.com

Porfiry programs peer to peer network apps

Ahh I see. Well that's very very strange. But I don't see how it could really be much of a problem with anyone. More power to him, I say.

Serious allegation

That's a very serious allegation, Nasor, one which potentially involves racketeering.

Remember that Acquisition, like Limewire and other P2P file traders, can be used for utterly legal purposes. That users choose to break the law is their own choice. I have standing permission to include a friend's album in my shared folder in order to advertise the band. Right there is a legal distribution of music. I also used a Gnutella client after OSX came out in order to acquire a copy of Appleworks, which I had obliterated in favor of an OS9 copy of MS Office. I didn't want to pay for Office X, and there was nobody to pirate it from, so I went out and got myself a word processing program. Technically, the file transfer violates somebody's EULA somewhere, but Apple probably doesn't care, since everybody who can run Appleworks is supposed to have it in the first place, and the update to the version I downloaded would have been free. I have no idea who it was serving the file, but the server was lightning-fast (180k/s). It would be more convenient to serve multiple files to friends via something like Acquisition (Napster was originally intended for limited private use) than AIM, and while I have a nice big iDisk to store public files on, not everybody has that.

In the long run, I side with a musician friend of mine that this is the record industry's own Frankenstein, a result of myopia. CD's were a great idea in one respect, but in digitizing the music they allowed for the potential of a new form of piracy, and if we look back to the time that CD's were introduced to the consumer public in the 1980s, sure the computers couldn't do it then. But I was young and expected that someday soon my computer would be my television and radio. Think of it this way: In Space 1999 in the commander's quarters is this pillar that is sort of a computer. It has TV monitors on it, and a stylish analog clock.

Now, that the record industry somehow failed to realize that this day would come seems incidental in itself, but at the time CD's came out, audiophiles, in that 1980s selfish way, objected that they didn't want to rebuild their music collections on a new medium. The industry assured people that the price of CD's would come down in real terms as they became more popular. At the time, this staple of capitalistic philosophy seemed self-evident, but if you'll notice, plain water costs more than Gatorade, and unprocessed dairy and produce cost more than processed, "enhanced" food. Tell me what you want about volume, but what about cigarettes? How is it that unprocessed tobacco costs more to buy as a consumer? Small, crappy manufacturers using processed tobacco still cost less, so it's not a volume issue. The prices do not seem related to supply and demand, but rather to expectation of profit margins. That's right, the companies claim a divine right to achieve a certain profit margin, a Thelemic failure to protect themselves in the long run.

And one day fans realized they had the tools at their disposal. It did not occur to them, I can steal music. Rather, it struck them that, Hey, I can finally get the music I could never afford to buy.

On the one hand, the industry put the music to a dangerous and easily-pirated medium. To the other, crippling myopia incited this war; CD prices spiraled upward, joined by an accompaniment rise in cassette prices. Vinyl, at the time, was a non-issue. (Did you know that vinyl sounds better than any digital copy you can get? In the end, the greedy betrayal of the consumers by the record industry really upset people. Vinyl saw a comeback during the grunge years; this is easily explained. Every family, it seems, of my generation had an old record player somewhere. Why pay $15 (at the time) for a CD when you can get the same album, two singles, and an Ep on vinyl for the same price? It's how and why my brother built his vinyl collection. And there are some amazing gems in there.

As a result, though, the consumers are in a full-scale revolt against the music industry, which has abused artists, abused consumers, and abused good taste until there is nothing left. Certainly some artists are caught in the crossfire, but some artists have seen an increase in show attendance and record sales because of file trading.

That this dominates the public perception of file trading is not surprising; it involves money, celebrity, and reveals just how frightened the industry is of its consumers.

Nonetheless, Acquisition has perfectly legal uses, and it is a user's own choice to violate the law.

You know ... they've had to pass laws in some American municipalities banning the sale of spray paint to certain persons. What people do with a product is their own business. I used to set myself on fire with Lysol (easy conrol, less aggressive heat) or rubbing alcohol (really cool-looking flame).

People will do what they do. At no time have in my experience with Limewire have I gotten the impression that legal uses were excluded from the design purpose. The "Read Me" file that comes with the download is actually quite effective.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Back