scientists discover how crocidiles travel between islands

pjdude1219

The biscuit has risen
Valued Senior Member
scientist recently found out how salt water crocidiles travel between islands. they travel along ocean currents. this also explains how they have remained one species. the population weren't completely isolated as originally thought.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37553148

I don't know that it's that surprising. There's a J Anim Ecol article on it, but lots of animals are supposed to have ridden logs and so forth to get between islands (see MacArthur book, etc.). It's somewhat new in that it's a larger animal...then again, sea turtles wander around a lot, and probably on the currents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37553148

I don't know that it's that surprising. There's a J Anim Ecol article on it, but lots of animals are supposed to have ridden logs and so forth to get between islands (see MacArthur book, etc.). It's somewhat new in that it's a larger animal...then again, sea turtles wander around a lot, and probably on the currents.

salties aren't the world's greatest swimmers. they have had tagged crocs going like 355 miles in 25 days which is a pretty good clip.

salties aren't the world's greatest swimmers. they have had tagged crocs going like 355 miles in 25 days which is a pretty good clip.

They've been spotted out at sea lots of times. In island ecological theory, you only really have to stay afloat.

I am not a scientist but I will take a wild guess:

by swimming???

Yeah, swimming and drifting. Komodo dragons do it too. It's expected since they're large, mobile animals. A gravid croc could, thereby, rapidly colonize a new region even at long distances. I'd be interested to see if they could manage a "virgin birth" scenario as Komodos are meant to do.

Frankly it was more surprising when it was found that zooplankton were controlling their diurnal water column migrations; they were assumed too small to be able to control their wanderings. But evidently they do exert some kind of influence on their position.

I have to admit. I read the title and thought ummm,... THEY SWIM!
They're not called saltwater crocs for nothing.
Incidentally, they're just about bomb proof. In the North of Australia, at the end of the dry season they just hunker down in the mud or clay until it rains.
It might take a month or two, no problem, they wait then resurrect themselves, eat some geese and live to about a hundred. The've been around for a squillion years. Bomb proof.

They have amazing immune systems too. They often live in conditions close in composition to raw sewage, and despite cuts in the skin, never get infections. There are medical researchers hoping to find out how, and apply that to human medicine.

Well, they certainly had time to colonize many islands - considering they are ~200 million years old (Wiki):
Member species of the family Crocodylidae are large aquatic reptiles that live throughout the tropics in Africa, Asia, the Americas and Australia. Crocodiles tend to congregate in freshwater habitats like rivers, lakes, wetlands and sometimes in brackish water. They feed mostly on vertebrates like fish, reptiles, and mammals, sometimes on invertebrates like mollusks and crustaceans, depending on species. They are an ancient lineage, and are believed to have changed little since the time of the dinosaurs. They are believed to be 200 million years old whereas dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago; crocodiles survived great extinction events.

Geez - they could have drifted to adjacent islands by accident, don't you think? Given one trip every two years, they still had a million chances...

Back