Science, Sceptics, and Authority

Swatter

Registered Member
I have had some basic observations about the above subjects and how they relate to each other. I would be very interested in everyones thoughts on my observations.

I believe I have a good understanding of what science is and its implications on the world we live in. I am also a fairly logical person. I find myself becoming more and more uncomfortable as the years go by with how science and scientists are viewed. It seems that scientists and people who claim to be scientists are becoming authorities about subjects that are completely out of the scope of science. From my understanding, science is based on facts, at least physical science. It seems that some scientists are becoming "experts" in fields where there are little or no facts present. My sad observation is that the media and a whole lot of people swallow what an "expert" says without question. It seems that if someone holds the title of "Scientist", they become an aurhority on just about anything, in or out of their field. Let me get a little more specific.

I dont want to get people inflamed around here, I am not pushing any certain agenda. I just want to know if Im crazy. Im am going to bring up a couple of hottly contested subjects, not to push a certain school of thought, but to illustrate my point. So there is no need to get your fur up, people.

Let us take for example the subject of near death experiences. Let us look at the subject as a whole for a second. In this area there are certainly few facts. People are experiencing something, but what is it? What facts are present? Even more important to science, what is testable? From all of the evidence that I have seen, it would seem that it is impossible to test any fact. At minimum, any test possible would cause controversy nonetheless. We will have to agree that no scientific conclusions can be made due to lack of evidence, for either side. I wouldnt have to go too far out on a limb to say that, would I? Nonetheless, you will see scientists quoted as experts on the subject. A scientist who claims to be an expert or an authority on a subject such as NDEs, would seem to be abusing the authority granted to such persons by our culture. Since, at this moment in time, NDEs are not in the realm of scientific observation it would seem irresponsible for a scientist to claim to be an authority on the subject. An example of this would be Susan Blackmoore. You see her on every program about NDEs representing the sceptical point-of-view. It bothers me to see her throw around baseless theories that could not possibly be tested. Its one thing for a doctor or a patient to present a theory, its another thing(IMO) for a scientist to do so (in this instance).

Of course this brings up a question of what a scientist is. If you have a doctorate and are doing research at a university, does that make you a scientist? I will just just narrow my definition for the sake of argument. Lets just say the above are true and they claim to be a scientist. A claim is certainly good enough for the media, I guess that is where the problem lies. The heart of the problem is true scientist being qouted as an authority on subjects out of thier field. Would a scientist who specializing in brain function be an expert on the subject of NDEs? I would have to say no, because there is no concrete evidence it is even a function of the brain. So, what should a scientist as a respected authority figure in our society say on the subject? A simple "I dont know" would work fine.

If a physicist claims to have evidence that further supports the Theory of Relativity and it is accepted by the scientific community, that person is a legitimate authority on the subject. His theory could be trusted and quoted. This is what all the scientists theorizing out of thier field lack. The media and most people dont know the difference.

Lets have some fun and talk about UFOs. You thankfully dont see many scientists qouted on the subject. Another problem that arises in this area is what I call "In The Name Of Science!" sceptics. Now, this is more devious and much more subtle form of authority manipulation. You have sceptics who will claim to be the gaurdians of science running around debunking everything from UFOs to "The Shroud of Turin". I personally find it humorous, but this can truly be damaging to freedom of thought. In our society, science should be taken seriously, for it is the most reliable way to understand our world. But science cannot be taken out of its scope to supress thought. Whenever a balanced UFO program is aired that truly attempts to show both sides of the issue, you will see sceptics attempt to use the words "science" or "scientific" to give authority to thier opinions. The most common tactic is to qoute some thoery or another about how far away other stars are or how large the universe is. They are speaking true, but twisting it to fit thier opinion at the same time claiming to represent science.

Without getting too much into specifics, I dont believe sceptics should be using science as a shield to convince other people that ETs could not possibly visit our world. There is no evidence at this point, no hard evidence at all. This puts this entire subject out of the realm of science, so people claiming to represent science shouldnt be even conversing on the subject as an authority. UFOs should be confined to realm of specualtion until a UFO crashes into Los Alamos. The point would probably be moot anyway, because most scientists would die of shock as thier world expanded exponentially;) Sceptics, IMO, commit a disservice to science by claiming to represent it. I dont mind hearing about lights in the sky or alien abductions as long as someone is not citing science as an authority on the subject, from either direction.

All of this stuff I learned in Logic 101, but apparently members of the media, sceptical community, and some scientists need to take that class too or take it again.

Am I just crazy? I hate ignorance coming from both directions at the same time.

*is member of that "sceptical" scientific community*

um...it's just MHO that those so-called NDE are simply chemical/hormonal reactions occuring at the time death, or near-death ..in response to the amount of stress the body is undergoing at the time.

Originally posted by Swatter
...Even more important to science, what is testable? From all of the evidence that I have seen, it would seem that it is impossible to test any fact. At minimum, any test possible would cause controversy nonetheless. We will have to agree that no scientific conclusions can be made due to lack of evidence, for either side.
Put a person in a big centrifuge (like the ones they use to train pilots and astronauts) and spin them until they start to black out; many of people will have near-death experiences. Monitor the brain activity during the NDE and you'll see that there's a lot of random activity in the part of the brain that interprets sensory input, especially light. Stimulate that part of a person's brain randomly with an electrode and they will experience similar NDEs. It's a (relatively) easily testable, repeatable experiment. Thus one could put forth a valid scientific theory that NDEs are caused by random activity in a certain part of the brain.

Sorry that I can't be more specific, this is all stuff that a vaguely remember from a class on the human brain that I took quite a while ago.

I dont want to debate those specific issues, but I will give you a few things to think about concerning NDEs.

1) The centrifuge theory, IMO, is the poorest of them all. The only thing that happens is that as a person is passing out, thier vision begins to narrow(called G-Lock?). This is not at all what a NDE is. If you wish to accept that theory, you are ignoring 90% of the evidence.

2) As for the first repy about a chemical reaction, that is certainly possible but also leaves out other bodies of evidence.

3) There is no current theory that ties together all parts of the NDE experience.

4) There are some pieces of evidence that are very hard to explain away, such as a person being able to hear the surgeon's conversation with zero brain activity. Also, being able to see objects or people in other rooms while the person is brain dead. Most sceptics just ignore the things they cant explain.

I personally am undecided on the issue, but I think everyone should look at all sides of the issue.

Re: Re: Science, Sceptics, and Authority

Originally posted by Nasor
Put a person in a big centrifuge (like the ones they use to train pilots and astronauts) and spin them until they start to black out; many of people will have near-death experiences. Monitor the brain activity during the NDE and you'll see that there's a lot of random activity in the part of the brain that interprets sensory input, especially light. Stimulate that part of a person's brain randomly with an electrode and they will experience similar NDEs. It's a (relatively) easily testable, repeatable experiment. Thus one could put forth a valid scientific theory that NDEs are caused by random activity in a certain part of the brain.

Sorry that I can't be more specific, this is all stuff that a vaguely remember from a class on the human brain that I took quite a while ago.

The most interesting NDE evidence comes when the person doesnt have any brain activity and is able to experience the enviroment around them. You dont see the so-called "authorities on the issue" comment on such evidence. It doesnt fit into thier theory, so they ignore it.

As a scientist, a sceptic and authority of a sort, here are some of my thoughts.

<i>It seems that if someone holds the title of "Scientist", they become an aurhority on just about anything, in or out of their field.</i>

In my experience, many scientists (especially those with teaching experience) take care to qualify statements they make. If they are commenting on things which are out of their fields of expertise (which are usually fairly narrow), they will often say so. This is not always the case, however. Also, in some instances what is given as a personal opinion can be taken as a statement backed by the authority of the scientist's position by the media and general public. This sort of thing is by no means restricted to scientists, though.

<i>From all of the evidence that I have seen, it would seem that it is impossible to test any fact [about near-death experiences].</i>

Of course it is possible to test the facts. You go about that in the same way you try to gather objective evidence of any fact, scientific or otherwise. You ask many people. You carry out tests which aim to control certain factors and exclude others. You look at what you already know and try to put together a coherent explanation.

<i>We will have to agree that no scientific conclusions can be made due to lack of evidence, for either side.</i>

Certain conclusions are possible. There are commonalities in reports of near-death experiences. The subjective experiences of people involved are (tellingly) not restricted to NDEs, but occur in other situations. Common factors appear (e.g. seeing a "tunnel" can be associated with a reduced blood flow to the visual cortex of the brain).

<i>Nonetheless, you will see scientists quoted as experts on the subject. A scientist who claims to be an expert or an authority on a subject such as NDEs, would seem to be abusing the authority granted to such persons by our culture.</i>

What do you require for somebody to be an "expert" on NDEs? Is having certain academic qualifications enough? Is it necessary to have the experience yourself? Do you need knowledge of neuroscience? Religion? Can there be any "experts", in your opinion?

<i>An example of this would be Susan Blackmoore. You see her on every program about NDEs representing the sceptical point-of-view. It bothers me to see her throw around baseless theories that could not possibly be tested.</i>

That bothers me, too, if that is what she is doing. The important question is: are, in fact, her ideas untestable?

<i>Of course this brings up a question of what a scientist is. If you have a doctorate and are doing research at a university, does that make you a scientist?</i>

If you're researching in science, I think you'd have a fairly strong argument. :)

Some people claim that anybody who uses the methods of science to analyse facts and present hypotheses is a scientist. Others are more restrictive.

<i>The heart of the problem is true scientist being qouted as an authority on subjects out of thier field.</i>

How narrowly do you propose to limit scientists' comments on things, and in what contexts? If I am an astrophysicist, what is my "field"? Is it the detailed workings of stars? Is it astronomy in general? Is it physics? Is it science? Where do you draw the line? What makes somebody an authority on something?

<i>Would a scientist who specializing in brain function be an expert on the subject of NDEs? I would have to say no, because there is no concrete evidence it is even a function of the brain.</i>

I would say that a neuroscientist who has studied NDEs with respect to the brain is an expert. Certainly he or she would know more on the subject than perhaps 95% of people. Is that enough to be an expert or not?

<i>So, what should a scientist as a respected authority figure in our society say on the subject? A simple "I dont know" would work fine.</i>

Sure, but a neuroscientist who studies NDEs doesn't know <b>nothing</b>. He just doesn't know <b>everything</b>. The distinction is important, and knowing enough in any field makes you an expert. The only question is where exactly you draw the line.

<i>Lets have some fun and talk about UFOs. You thankfully dont see many scientists qouted on the subject.</i>

That's because there has been no new convincing evidence of alien spaceships in the last 50 years. The only people still pushing the idea are nutters. (Note: personal opinion!)

<i>You have sceptics who will claim to be the gaurdians of science running around debunking everything from UFOs to "The Shroud of Turin".</i>

It is interesting that you use the term "guardians of science". I actually don't think it is science which is under attack from such ideas. If not for the sake of science, then why do you think skeptics try to debunk such things? Think.

<i>But science cannot be taken out of its scope to supress thought.</i>

I agree. So do Skeptics.

<i>Whenever a balanced UFO program is aired that truly attempts to show both sides of the issue, you will see sceptics attempt to use the words "science" or "scientific" to give authority to thier opinions.</i>

When was the last time you saw a <b>balanced</b> UFO program?

<i>Without getting too much into specifics, I dont believe sceptics should be using science as a shield to convince other people that ETs could not possibly visit our world.</i>

What method do you suggest they use?

<i>There is no evidence at this point, no hard evidence at all.</i>

You're getting the burden of proof wrong here. The people making the positive claims - that ETs <b>are</b> visiting Earth right now - have the burden of proof. The burden of proof is not on skeptics to disprove every goofy idea somebody comes up with.

(Also, most informed scientists are quite open-minded about the possibility of extraterrestrial life.)

<i>UFOs should be confined to realm of specualtion until a UFO crashes into Los Alamos.</i>

Right. Until good evidence of some kind comes along, there is no reason to believe that aliens are visiting us. Until we have that evidence we should keep an open mind, bearing in mind the difficulties of interstellar travel and so on (which are informed by our scientific knowledge).

<i>Am I just crazy?</i>

No, but perhaps a little too credulous. :)

Re: Re: Science, Sceptics, and Authority

Excellent reply, thanks:)

I dont believe I am credulous. I tend to be undecided about complicated subjects, although I do keep an open mind. If I am credulous, I can afford to be because I am not a scientist and I dont claim to represent anything but my own opinion :)

---------
"Of course it is possible to test the facts. You go about that in the same way you try to gather objective evidence of any fact, scientific or otherwise. You ask many people. You carry out tests which aim to control certain factors and exclude others. You look at what you already know and try to put together a coherent explanation."
--------

I did concede in the next sentence that it would be possible to test facts about NDEs, I just dont think it would get anywhere at this point.

------------
"Certain conclusions are possible. There are commonalities in reports of near-death experiences. The subjective experiences of people involved are (tellingly) not restricted to NDEs, but occur in other situations. Common factors appear (e.g. seeing a "tunnel" can be associated with a reduced blood flow to the visual cortex of the brain)."
--------------

You will have to excuse my not so presise wording. I only meant to say that there are no widely accepted general conclusions about the NDEs. All I have heard are a bunch of often unconnected theories.

------------

"What do you require for somebody to be an "expert" on NDEs? Is having certain academic qualifications enough? Is it necessary to have the experience yourself? Do you need knowledge of neuroscience? Religion? Can there be any "experts", in your opinion?"
------------

I believe that scientific knowledge of this subject is in its infancy and at this point you have "authority figures" throwing around little more than thier opinions. That is the problem. Im sure there are scientists out there conducting first-hand empirical research on the topic, they would seem to be the experts.

I really didnt want to make this a debate about NDEs, I just wanted an example. I should have stayed more focused.

------------------------
" Also, in some instances what is given as a personal opinion can be taken as a statement backed by the authority of the scientist's position by the media and general public. This sort of thing is by no means restricted to scientists, though."
----------------------

Thats kinda my point. You dont see a priest when you need to attach the proper lense to Hubble, you would hope NASA could take care of that. You dont see priests being qouted about how to fix Hubble, and if you did they wouldnt be taken seriously. It doesnt work the same way with scientists. Scientists can be qouted outside of thier field as an authority and not many would know the difference. I guess as a counter-point, a priest is a bad example. Im sure you get the idea.

------------------
"<i>An example of this would be Susan Blackmoore. You see her on every program about NDEs representing the sceptical point-of-view. It bothers me to see her throw around baseless theories that could not possibly be tested.</i>

That bothers me, too, if that is what she is doing. The important question is: are, in fact, her ideas untestable?"
-----------------

Particularly with her, she likes to use witness testimony. She takes what witness A says and compares it to what witness B says and concludes that they are alike. For example, comparing a pilot experiencing tunnel vision when blacking out to the entirety of the NDE experience.

Thats the whole problem with NDE reasearch at this point. Too much reliance is placed on subjective experience and then subjective analysis of the subjective experience. At this point there is more conjecture than facts. All of this makes me uncomfortable on the subject.

---------------------
"<i>The heart of the problem is true scientist being qouted as an authority on subjects out of thier field.</i>

How narrowly do you propose to limit scientists' comments on things, and in what contexts? If I am an astrophysicist, what is my "field"? Is it the detailed workings of stars? Is it astronomy in general? Is it physics? Is it science? Where do you draw the line? What makes somebody an authority on something?"
---------------------

If a physicist claims to have evidence that further supports the Theory of Relativity and it is accepted by the scientific community, that person is a legitimate authority on the subject. His theory could be trusted and quoted.

That is Logic and Critical Thinking 101. I believe the current guidelines are sufficient, but sometimes ignored. I will deal with the rest of your comment on the next line.

---------------------
"<i>Would a scientist who specializing in brain function be an expert on the subject of NDEs? I would have to say no, because there is no concrete evidence it is even a function of the brain.</i>

I would say that a neuroscientist who has studied NDEs with respect to the brain is an expert. Certainly he or she would know more on the subject than perhaps 95% of people. Is that enough to be an expert or not?"
----------------------

I would agree that neuroscientists who study NDEs would be experts. A neuroscientist who has not studied NDEs are not solid authorities on the matter. That would seem to be consistently logical.

------------------
"<i>You have sceptics who will claim to be the gaurdians of science running around debunking everything from UFOs to "The Shroud of Turin".</i>

It is interesting that you use the term "guardians of science". I actually don't think it is science which is under attack from such ideas. If not for the sake of science, then why do you think skeptics try to debunk such things? Think."
----------------------

I use the word "claim" because I dont see any cabinet level posts called "The Gaurdian of Scientific Purity". I dont not doubt thier motivations are related to promoting science over mysticism. My problem is sceptics mixing thier authority as (insert your favorite occupation) and the authority of science. Because they claim to represent science, doesnt make them a scientific authority on anything. Unless, of course, they are already a legitimate authority in the field they are trying to debunk. Being a magician doesnt make you an authority in science. Unfortunately, the media treats James Randy as a scientific expert in a multitude of fields. I dont mind them running around debunking things, I just take exception to sceptics using the word "science" as a substitute for a PHD in the field they are debunking.

---------------
"When was the last time you saw a <b>balanced</b> UFO program?"
-----------------

Your right :(

-----------------
"<i>Without getting too much into specifics, I dont believe sceptics should be using science as a shield to convince other people that ETs could not possibly visit our world.</i>

What method do you suggest they use?"
----------------

My suggestion is that they need to stop pretending such topics are within the scope of science. The question of whether ETs are here or not is the realm of speculation, not science. If they just came out and said "Im Joe Shmoe, I believe X, Y, Z, you need to believe me", thats one thing. But they say "Im Joe Shmoe, I represent science. I believe X, Y, Z, if you dont believe me your an idiot." It doesnt matter if sceptic X is a clerk at your local shopping mall, he represents science. The authority given to sceptics nowadays is mis-placed, in my not so humble opinion.

--------------
"<i>There is no evidence at this point, no hard evidence at all.</i>

You're getting the burden of proof wrong here. The people making the positive claims - that ETs <b>are</b> visiting Earth right now - have the burden of proof. The burden of proof is not on skeptics to disprove every goofy idea somebody comes up with."
-----------------------

This simply ties into mis-placed authority. The sceptics have a very valid view on the subject. The point is that it is no better than mine. People who claim to represent science as an authority figure will always get more validation for thier opinion, even though such faith in said persons opinion is unwarranted. They simply say "You must believe me, I represent science". They can speculate all they wish, just speculate with your own credentials.

-------------
"(Also, most informed scientists are quite open-minded about the possibility of extraterrestrial life.)

<i>UFOs should be confined to realm of specualtion until a UFO crashes into Los Alamos.</i>

Right. Until good evidence of some kind comes along, there is no reason to believe that aliens are visiting us. Until we have that evidence we should keep an open mind, bearing in mind the difficulties of interstellar travel and so on (which are informed by our scientific knowledge)."
------------------

You could be qouted as an expert on the possibility of ET visitation, as a scientific authority. Would that authority be in the correct place? I guess that is what this thread is all about:)

Last edited:
+++Whenever a balanced UFO program is aired that truly attempts to show both sides of the issue, you will see sceptics attempt to use the words "science" or "scientific" to give authority to thier opinions.+++

since when do we believe anything that is on tv????

:) "Hi."

Some friends and I were just discussing this.. I think you've got a point, Swatter. We had an all out war between four or five well- knowledged laymen, two being of the seriously skeptical scientific type. The discussion was 'mind effecting matter.'

It became more than just a discussion right about the time we got into the subject of an undiscovered dimension...Of course there is no means of proof, no means of calculating.- But if you look at the techniques of measuring for say, thermodynamics, they've had to work around a problem involving the zero theory...

The ones who were focused on that particularly were having a hard time incorporating other topics in relation. The serious skeptic in the group would not even consider the possibility because there was no way to prove it. He totally dismissed the idea and continued to argue the 'known' sciences.

We ended up coming to the conclusion that at the base of science is philosophy. Science, now more developed, is a field of it's own. -But at the fringes of science is an area of relentlous mysteries- so science is still nothing but a tool. The experts, in their fields do seem to forget sometimes, don't they?

I'm with you guy on that. But are you looking at the whole picture? (Am I wrong by bringing this up..?) Have you considered the fact that there might be scientists out there allready that have incorporated the unknown into real time practicallity? I want to share this..
Lets have some fun and talk about UFOs. You thankfully dont see many scientists qouted on the subject.

That's because there has been no new convincing evidence of alien spaceships in the last 50 years. The only people still pushing the idea are nutters. (Note: personal opinion!)

You've heard of SETI, right? I'm sure J.R. has..
Last year sometime I ran across some documents on one of the SETI sites. They were witnessed accounts from astrophysisisists
saying that the area 51 thing really happened. These were coming from the SETI sight, which at the time was a Federaly funded program. The whole slew of documents were pleas for the government to release the black broject files on ET's that have been known of since 1946!
Can you imagine?? The federally funded SETI program was born in the 60's! This is a program that was founded on the intent to search for ET. It is, BTW, no longer federally funded..

One of the things that was stated on those documents was a strange mettalic material that had the ability to reform ittself after being crushed. I'm sorry for bringing a conspiracy theory into this, but a few years ago scientists discovered a carbon molecule dubbed buckyballs..I'm sure you've heard of this..Is it coincidence that these molecules show the same properties?

See, I guess my question is, do you suppose there are scientists out there that are laughing at the ones we question? I have a lot of respect for the laymen in the field, but I'm with you on questioning their "open-mindedness," and motives also...

Peace, Anna

This whole thread is dumb. Swatter, you're ranting about people using unrelated authority to push their opinions as facts. This happens quite often in the public press, because the public press has no official referee mechanism. There are no organizations or committees with the charge to maintain proper scientific conduct in the popular press.

There are, however, many such mechanisms in place in the fields themselves, by journal referee and peer review.

Your argument is just a rant. When was the last time you turned on the six o'clock news and saw a real, honest-to-God expert explaining things? The people found to talk on the six o'clock news (on any topic) almost never have any sense. And it doesn't matter -- the news show is only interested in finding good testimony to the point that they convince watchers to keep watching. Any additional effort is wasted. The same goes for the alien shows and what-not on network TV: these shows aren't scientific, and don't care to be. It would require a lot more effort to maintain scientific conduct, but wouldn't really attract any more viewers. The shows are just going for the best bang (most viewers) for the least buck (effort in research).

It is sad, really, that this is all the public's fault. If the public were better educated so to recognize and ignore the shows which are obviously of poor scientific valor, they would force the broadcast companies to make shows of respectable scientific valor. The mass media is dumb, Swatter, and it always will be.

If you want scientific rigor and good conduct, go to your local University and read some journals.

- Warren

Originally posted by bluemommaphish
Last year sometime I ran across some documents on one of the SETI sites. They were witnessed accounts from astrophysisisists
saying that the area 51 thing really happened. These were coming from the SETI sight, which at the time was a Federaly funded program. The whole slew of documents were pleas for the government to release the black broject files on ET's that have been known of since 1946!
Riiiight. The government spent loads of money funding primitive versions of SETI, when they already had a big ol' flying saucer in New Mexico. Please...
One of the things that was stated on those documents was a strange mettalic material that had the ability to reform ittself after being crushed.
All metallic materials have this property. It's called elasticisty.
I'm sorry for bringing a conspiracy theory into this, but a few years ago scientists discovered a carbon molecule dubbed buckyballs..I'm sure you've heard of this..Is it coincidence that these molecules show the same properties?
Buckyballs are made by the billions in every charcoal grill on earth. I don't remember seeing any indication they behave like "funny metals."

- Warren

Merry Christmas to you too, chroot..:bugeye:

http://wunmr.wustl.edu/EduDev/Fullerene/structure.html
http://buckminster.physics.sunysb.edu/nobel.html

Thats all I could muster up for ya' now- most of the recent work has been done on conducting qualities..I'm not a scientist, I'll admit it now so you don't need to go and challenge my credibility.
I'm an observer whose been occupying my time by keeping an eye on the whole picture. I, myself am a skeptic of sorts..only my motive is nothing more than to see truth.

The documents I found were from many in the field who at the time were federally employed. Yes. Believe it or not. I've been searching for them again, but of course they're non-existent now..(If I do happen to find them again I'll be sure to show you.)

Ya' know..I think you are the 'scientific type.' My intentions, and the whole point of bringing the buckyball thing up are for aestheric purposes. It was something that I noticed and believe to be true. I was sharing my opinion...(I had assumed that was the basis of this thread.) My ability to back my opinion up with fact might be somewhat limited, but I'll be happy to attempt it in an objectional manner if thats what you want.

But to knock down others opinions, especially on a topic such as this, is 'kind of a moronic thing to do, don't you think? It seems like what your doing is just enforcing our opinions..

No offense, I'm just defending the art of theorology, and the will of free thought, based on logic.. Peace, brother.

And chroot..think about it-in the day and age of national defense and its need to keep things secret- do you really feel that they would not attempt to cover things up that could benefit their own technologies?

Originally posted by bluemommaphish
But to knock down others opinions, especially on a topic such as this, is 'kind of a moronic thing to do, don't you think? It seems like what your doing is just enforcing our opinions..
No, I don't think it's moronic. I think it's moronic to go around opining what is clearly contradicted by fact.

The bottom line is that Swatter wants to bitch about the popular press having lax scientific standards. He's right. He has only two choices: live with it, or get his fill of science from a more reputable source.

- Warren

bluemom

I, myself am a skeptic of sorts..only my motive is nothing more than to see truth.

If so, then you would not make statements such as:

He totally dismissed the idea and continued to argue the 'known' sciences...We ended up coming to the conclusion that at the base of science is philosophy... I'm sorry for bringing a conspiracy theory into this...Can you imagine??... The experts, in their fields do seem to forget sometimes, don't they?... I have a lot of respect for the laymen in the field... Yes. Believe it or not... It was something that I noticed and believe to be true... But to knock down others opinions, especially on a topic such as this, is 'kind of a moronic thing to do...

Those statements are rather contrary to this one:

No offense, I'm just defending the art of theorology, and the will of free thought, based on logic..

:)

Swatter,

I’d say you’re adhering too much to what you learned in Logic 101. On NDEs, for example, one fact present is that thousands of credible people say they experienced it. If someone interviewed thousands of the NDEers, they’d qualify as an expert, by the definition of the word.

A story: My dad was one of the most logical people I knew. With no hard evidence about an afterlife, he was agnostic. Believing that existence likely ended at death, despite a painful heart condition he often professed the desire to live. One day while in the hospital his heart stopped. Upon resuscitation he was sad to be alive. He said he had been in a beautiful field and that it was more real than here. People he knew, relatives who had died, were walking towards him when he was brought back. A few days later, his heart stopped again and again he was resuscitated. This time he was mad, and signed a do-not-resuscitate order. A week later I was in my apartment when my dad turned off my TV and said goodbye to me. Then my mom called me to tell me he had died.

I’m glad the public press has no official referee mechanism that maintains proper scientific conduct. If it did, the material might be limited to only the scientists’ viewpoint.

swatter

scientists are bunch of arrogant dumb glorified beancounters.
they go round and round in circles repeating the same old shit.
in fact i have heard that these people regularly visit our very own
sub-cultures forum for inspiration

peer review - prepare to be torn apart by jealousy, spitefullness and anger. your creativity and vision will be laughed at and ridiculed. later you find your lifes work has been appropiated by thieves.

:D

Originally posted by chroot
No, I don't think it's moronic. I think it's moronic to go around opining what is clearly contradicted by fact.

The bottom line is that Swatter wants to bitch about the popular press having lax scientific standards. He's right. He has only two choices: live with it, or get his fill of science from a more reputable source.

- Warren

It is called a discussion and it has veered off topic. The whole point is that true scientists have a responsiblity not to abuse thier authority. If they are asked a question in the media that is out of thier field they need to say its thier opinion and the topic is out of thier field. Some of them totally disregard this and have active agendas.

Back