Science/Religion Debate Live-Streaming Today

Trooper

Secular Sanity
Valued Senior Member
Heads up...
popcorn.gif

Watch this sold out event LIVE ON YOUTUBE TODAY starting at 2pm Pacific.

Has Science Refuted Religion?

Mar-25-2012-debate-speaker-comp.jpeg

Tried watching it, i'm going to have to wait. Guess i'll just watch the God Delusion or Faith the Virus by Richard Dawkins

Ug, Dinesh with be in Portland as part of his "God Forsaken" book tour, where he will attempt to explain how God can exist and still allow bad things to happen.

Sorry...:shrug:

by Sean Carroll

Update after the debate: first off, very sorry that the live stream didn’t seem to work for many people. (Although the YouTube comments are occasionally funny.) That’s just what sometimes unfortunately happens when you try something new. Pretty sure that video will eventually be available, I’ll link when it appears.

Also I deleted a bunch of comments about string theory from people who don’t take instructions well.

As for the debate, it’s very hard to judge when up on the stage, but I hope there were some enlightening moments. I’m not sure it worked well as a “debate.” I tried to engage a bit with what Ian and Dinesh were saying, but I didn’t feel that they reciprocated — although they might make the same claim about our side. I’m thinking that four people is just too much to have in a debate; it could have been more direct confrontation if there had only been two, with twice as much time for each little speech.

I don’t think I did a very good job in the cross-examinations, but hopefully the actual speeches came across clearly.

The audience was pretty clearly biased toward us from the beginning. Which is great in some sense (go forces of reason!) but I’d actually like to do something similar before an audience that was tilted the other way, or (best of all) completely uncommitted at the start. Preaching to the choir is fun, but doesn’t really change the world.

We had a great crowd, and I very much appreciate everyone who braved the not-that-great-by-Southern-California-standards weather. Would love to hear reactions from people who were actually there.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/c.../sciencereligion-debate-live-streaming-today/

I've never liked the tag-team debate events, though they do seem to be popular now. I just think it's less personal than one-on-one events, and the format is all wrong.

They're also less challenging to the debaters, which may have something to do with why we see them so often. With less direct interaction, there's less at stake for each participant.

Back