Sci-Fi, Ethics, and Reality TV

CounslerCoffee

Registered Senior Member
I found the following article really really funny... Is that wrong?

SUE YOU, BUDDY! ET 'MURDER' BACKFIRES

By SALLIE HOFMEISTER

February 18, 2003 -- THE Sci-Fi Channel seems to have reached the outer limits of "reality" TV.
A new show called "Scare Tactics," scheduled to premiere on the channel in April, is using hidden cameras to film the reactions of unsuspecting witnesses to horror and science-fiction-style scenarios such as haunted houses and alien abductions.

The trouble is, one of the witnesses contends she suffered real-life trauma from her experience and says she was hospitalized several times as a result of a prank involving an "extraterrestrial murderer."

Click here for the rest of the article.

Now, let me get this. SciFi channel is taking people, making them piss their pants, filming it, and then putting it on TV? How in Gods name is that legal? I mean seriously? The people involved never signed anything, they were lied to, probably didn't even get a prize, and then scifi channel expects these people to walk away all "Okie dokie, nice joke"?

I personally can not wait to see this show, hosted by that bitch Shannon Dorety (Who left charmed btw) The reason why I cant wait to see it? So that I can see some 57 year old man have a heart attack on air because he thinks that Big Foot is attacking him... Pah-lease.

I agree. I'm getting a bit tired myself of the redefining of crap. Not that I bother watching it, but it bothers me that a lot of people do. Definitely a mark against modern society, and I'm not sure if or what thing(s) to pin the blame on.

Maybe all intelligent life in the universe goes through this point of society. In some ways it makes the MAD problems look docile.

Thinking back, wasn't "Real World" on MTV the first "reality TV"...in that case, it's all their fault. :)

Personnally, I don't find these reality shows all that intertaining. However, the producers love it. If they can get you to watch a show that doesn't cost anything but transportation, a bit of imagination, and some drama thrown in as a result, think what they are making in profits.

Just doesn't seem to be much there for theme, reality, and true acting ability. Shame on us that do watch it.

Haha, I'm glad you posted this. My brother and I saw a preview for that show a while back (Before they started showing commercials for it at every break, on the Scifi channel) and just laughed and tried to figure out how that show COULDN'T result in a volly of law suits. . . the only thing we came up with was huge cash prizes for all involved, but then that'd be just about as expensive as a ton of law suits. I'm eager to see how the show goes, and as much as I don't want to admit it, I'm going to watch it, and I'm going to laugh my ass off at these peoples terror.

wow. if they screw up and get someone with a heart condition or something...

they are going to get their asses sued off.

A couple of notes

- "Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor." (Belle & Sebastian)

You would think that, waivers aside, Jerry Springer would be in prison for organizing illegal fights for profit, and that half of his guests/combatants should be doing hard time.

Television and ethics should never be mentioned in the same breath, unless one is reflecting on the lack of ethics in television production.

I think of Marx--religion is the opiate of the masses. I think of Calvin & Hobbes, and the television set smirking, "Marx ain't seen nothing yet."

TV--it can do us no wrong. Or so the people believe.

They did this kind of crap for the short-lived "Spy TV". They got away with it.

However, I think justice will be served when one of the startled and frightened Americans whips out a gun and starts plugging pranksters because he doesn't know it's fake.

It's hard to not hope for it.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Back