Schwarzeneggar can't take the heat

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
The BBC reports that California Governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar is taking action against Portland Brewing for their release of "Governator Ale."

Were this a trademark or copyright-infringement issue, I would say little, but as the BBC notes:
Mr Schwarzenegger's advisers say it is not about money.

They point out that he has rejected his $175,000-a-year salary as governor and sometimes donates legal settlements to charity.

"You don't overexpose an asset like the governor," Mr Schwarzenegger's communications director Rob Stutzman was quoted as saying.

"If it's not special any more to see the governor promoting something, then you lose an advantage that we would otherwise have. That's just a fundamental principle of marketing."
For those who don't read spin: "The Governor is oversensitive and is not prepared to handle the heat."

• BBC. "Arnie ale meets strong arm of the law." March 30, 2004. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3584463.stm

Last edited:
This is a little absurd. Sure, we all know that there's only one Governator out there, and that's Arnold, but it's not like they used his proper name or anything, and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't registered Govenator as a trademark, so I think it's all good.

There's some important president for this case as well. Look at George Bush for instance, he's never sued the makers of Arrogant Bastard Ale, so why should Arny be all up in arms?

What slays me even more is that I just saw a ticker headline not too long ago about Schwarzeneggar sending a letter or some such expressing his appreciation for the Iraqi gym changing its name to honor him.

Ah ... I think this is the story that's going around right now.

Now then, I look back to the BBC article:
"You don't overexpose an asset like the governor," Mr Schwarzenegger's communications director Rob Stutzman was quoted as saying.

"If it's not special any more to see the governor promoting something, then you lose an advantage that we would otherwise have. That's just a fundamental principle of marketing." (BBC)
O-tay, Mr. Governator! Whatever your handlers say.

• Reuters. "Baghdad bodybuilder flexes Arnie muscles." March 30, 2004. See http://www.telegraphindia.com/1040331/asp/foreign/story_3068530.asp

His only recourse would be to release his own Schwarzenegger brew. With a name like Schwarzenegger, its got to be good!

What we need is a picture of a "Bavarian oaf" on a bottle of beer, and then just call it Black Farmer Blonde.

Back