Sayings of the Sages....

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
I got to thinking.
I'd like to do a comparison on the various religious founders.

We often focus on the negatives for those religions we do not like and the positives for those we do like. So, for each post, the rule is: you must come up with a phrase for BOTH instances below. As best as you can.

(1)
What are the most kindest of expressions - those that struck you as particularly very considerate and good intentioned.
(2)
What are the least kindest expressions - those that struck you as the most mean spirited or ill intentioned (just try your best).

Lets look at:
- Mosses
- Buddha
- Jesus
- Mohammad
- Joseph Smith Jr
- Ron Hubbard

I'm not religious but I received this via SMS once so I'll start with Buddha.

The Kindest of words (or at least a kind expression)
Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.

Those that were not so kind[while this one isn't all that mean - it was as good as I could find - maybe someone else can do better? It's about punishment]

One who unjustly inflicts punishment on the innocent
will eventually reap one of these possible confusions;

pain, great deprivation, physical injury,
heavy affliction or loss of mind,
prosecution by the government, devastation,
accusations, loss of family, loss of wealth,
loss of home by fire and upon his death
confinement for a time in the great confusion of hell.

When I have time I'll take a look into the other religious founders.
What do you guys think?

Don't forget to post you should have BOTH a kind expression and an unkind expression.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Buddha...

Good: We are the heirs of our own actions.
Bad: We are the heirs of our own actions.

Jimi Hendrix...

Good...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Bad...

I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked

Buddha...

Good: We are the heirs of our own actions.
Bad: We are the heirs of our own actions.
Now this has got to be one of the more clever posts here at Sciforums :)

Jimi Hendrix...

Good...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Bad...

I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked
hahaha..... I was playing Jimi Hendrix on Guitar Hero just the other day... Gods I love that game :D

When I get a chance I'll look over some quotes from Mosses.

Its that middle path thing, here is another:

A king asked a buddhist master for something which would sober his elation and cheer his sorrow. The master gave him a ring that was inscribed:

This too shall pass.

Janis Joplin

Good...

Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got.

Bad...

On stage I make love to twenty five thousand people; and then I go home alone.

Attributed to Mohammed:

Good:
What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured.

Not so good:
The proof of a Muslim's sincerity is, that he pays no heed to that, which is not his business.

Source:
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Spa/7220/SayingsProphet.html

Last edited:
Good: "the world is an amazing place, full of wonders and mysteries"

Gooder: "the world will distract you, if you continually look left and right rather than straight ahead"

attributed to M. Padarth(anand), a follower of a Rhadasoami guru (circa 1974).

source: personal memory of his having said it, in my presence.

George Carlin

Good....

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Bad...

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

S.A.M. "Who is this Radhaswami? Where is/was he based? "

Radhasoami is a guru tradition that goes back to Nanak. Sorry I spelt it incorrectly, mind you spelling Hindi seems arbitrary in English.

David Lane has a good online book that studies the tradition - lots of interesting stuff. ->
http: //vm.mtsac.edu/~dlane/radhabook.html
I "got into" it after someone told me about this meditation thingy, and some guru from India. Maharaji broadcasts on public channels these days, and despite the appearance of "another guru come to the West to get rich off some followers keen to see the light", his message has always been consistent.

The product he is marketing is one I can vouch for personally (it changed my life considerably, I am no longer worried or anxious about death for example, it seems a vague and distant thing of no consequence, sometimes though, it seems to have "great consequence, of which I have little understanding"). I'm also a lot happier now, but also more concerned for some reason...

Radhasoami is a guru tradition that goes back to Nanak

Thats umm weird. Nanak was a North Indian monotheist who instituted Sikhism. Radha is the consort of Krishna, an avatar of Vishnu. Radhaswamy is generally a South Indian name, which means Lord of Radha. Thanks for the link, I'll look into it. If it helped you, then its all good. :p

Apologies, that link is broken and I didn't check it.
This is where his book is now:

http: //elearn.mtsac.edu/dlane/radhabook.html

Some of his views and legal battles have been adopted by "the apostates", or ex-premies.org on the web; mostly they decry Maharaji and his satsang, and teachings.

I can't really get into their p.o.v. since I'm happy with it, I "get it" and not just when meditating. These days I just have to unfocus my eyes to see what he's talking about (there is indeed an inner light) and I hear it constantly when awake. There are two other aspects you learn about which you will probably read about.

Maharaji's satsang is about 4 techniques, each of which was published in the early 20th (and late 19th) in a yoga "manual", by some swami whose name eludes me just now, along with many other techniques.

My conclusion is, Maharaji is "compressing" the known practices into a more palatable form for the West (just I hour a day, etc) in which people are notorious for impatience with "technique" and such. Back in the day, you apparently required the patience of a saint to be even inducted.

Last edited:
Jim Morrison

Good...

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.

Bad...

It's like gambling somehow. You go out for a night of drinking and you don't know where your going to end up the next day. It could work out good or it could be disastrous. It's like the throw of the dice.

Back