Say welcome to the robosoldiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it actually gets into production/ service remains to be seen.

I don't think it will ever be possible, it will remain as science fiction; there is no chance they can build such a robot, it's not realistic...

I don't think it will ever be possible, it will remain as science fiction; there is no chance they can build such a robot, it's not realistic...

Not realistic?
Why?
Autonomous UCAV
More info
Possible control system
Smart UAV
Autonomous UAV
MIT autonomous UAV

For actual unaccompanied combat (i.e. target identification/ selection/ engagement with no human in the loop), especially at long-range*, it's a way off.**
But for something that's intended to operate with troops, or at least troops nearby, then that's much much nearer.
It's simply a question of funding and perceived need.

* By long range I mean something like letting an Autonomous UCAV operate over Afghanistan while the monitoring (if any) was done from ConUS.
** And the deployment of such types would be far more of a political decision anyway.

I think the problem here is the wideheld concept of 'robot'. Most people hear the word 'robot' and think 'android'.

Robotic probes are already with us, some are armed. Oli linked to several UAVs.

In future we will see a wider range of remote controlled, and autonomous vehicles being deployed. Some may be armed themselves, whereas others will provide intelligence to guide weapons fired from other locations. As technology improves, it's not hard to imagine quite small scale probes, the size of insects, using a grid communication system, to call in a rail gun strike from orbit, or a round from a BFG (Big Fucking Gun) somewhere over the horizon.

Imagine that, 'is that a dragonfly buzzing around that terrorists head?' As it relays a picture back to HQ for facial recognition. Oh dear, known bad guy. 3-2-1 ZAP! Hole in the ground where the bad guy was, as the Dragonfly happily snaps more of the crowd.

Such technology will become pervasive, as it gets cheaper.

Now, if only we could simply wage wars by having one country's robots fight the other country's robots. No bloodshed, just lots of metallic mess.

Now, if only we could simply wage wars by having one country's robots fight the other country's robots. No bloodshed, just lots of metallic mess.

can't countries have their wars on counterstrike?:confused:
counterstrike_screen004.jpg

That won't work for Jihad, 'cos you can't become a martyr by ramming your robot into an infidel !

That won't work for Jihad, 'cos you can't become a martyr by ramming your robot into an infidel !

jihad isn't necessarily suicidal, crushing the other bots can be jihad.

and suicidal doesn't have to be with one's biological body, load your robot with explosions and blow it in the midst of other robots.

and suicidal doesn't have to mean jihad, japanese in world war drove their planes into allies' ships..they were called kamikazes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back