Sarah, Pharaoh's concubine in Egypt.

Medicine*Woman

Jesus: Mythstory--Not History!
Valued Senior Member
The Bible tells the story of Abraham and Sarah going back into Egypt to the house of the Pharaoh. Abraham denied Sarah was his wife but was his sister. Other texts say that Sarah became a concubine of the Pharaoh. Isaac was the issue of this liaison.

The Days of Our Wives

Actually, Sarah was his sister - his half sister, anyway. That bible is a pretty racy book!

But that's an interesting thought about Isaac being Pharoah's son - I hadn't heard that one before. Maybe that's why Abraham wanted to do him in, you think?

Re: The Days of Our Wives

Originally posted by Nehushta
Actually, Sarah was his sister - his half sister, anyway. That bible is a pretty racy book!

But that's an interesting thought about Isaac being Pharoah's son - I hadn't heard that one before. Maybe that's why Abraham wanted to do him in, you think?

Could be, but the whole story of Sarah, Hagar, Abraham and Ishmael smells like a rat. It was the custom in those days to give one's handmaiden to the husband to bear children for him. But Sarah got jealous and wanted them sent away. I find this peculiar since it was Sarah's idea in the first place. Abraham had another wife after Sarah died, and he had more children.

So you can post all sorts of things which may be lies or sleezy tabloid material and we are supposed to accept them without question?

It doesn't sound like your references are credible.

Originally posted by chalcedony
So you can post all sorts of things which may be lies or sleezy tabloid material and we are supposed to accept them without question?

It doesn't sound like your references are credible.

I've listed an entire bibliography of mine, and I'm not going to list it again. Research on the Internet can be very credible without the expense of purchasing a another book that I don't have room for. The theory about Sarai being Pharaoh's concubine is not an isolated idea. Just because you choose not to believe anything outside the Bible just goes to show your narrow-mindedness which is so typically Christian. The Bible is the ultimate trash tabloid.

fallacy of authority

You can't believe everything you read on the net. In the medical world we are taught to review the literature to test its validity. When asked about your references, you get vague and tell me to look them up or that you have a bibliography but neglect to say where. I just want to see your references for this topic before making any judgement since I haven't heard anything about this.

Your response:
Just because you choose not to believe anything outside the Bible just goes to show your narrow-mindedness which is so typically Christian.

How can I believe anything without checking its sources first? That's not narrow mindedness, that's scientific reasoning.

Originally posted by chalcedony
fallacy of authority
----------
You can't believe everything you read on the net.
----------
M*W: I don't.
----------
In the medical world we are taught to review the literature to test its validity. When asked about your references, you get vague and tell me to look them up or that you have a bibliography but neglect to say where. I just want to see your references for this topic before making any judgement since I haven't heard anything about this.
----------
M*W: I practice medicine myself. When it comes to scientific literature, I agree with your response. It doesn't make any difference what my bibliography cites, you'll decry it anyway.
----------
How can I believe anything without checking its sources first? That's not narrow mindedness, that's scientific reasoning.
----------
M*W: I realize this is a SCIforum, but it's also not a life and death matter. I enjoy sciforums as a hobby, because I enjoy discussing varied religious opinion. Since spiritual matters cannot be proven anyway, why pretend they are scientifically tested and evidence-based? Regardless of what I say, you'll say it's wrong. So why bother? You're not willing to learn (i.e. narrow-minded), and I'm not willing to go out of my way to teach you anything.
----------
M*W: More information on Sarai, the Pharaoh, and their child Isaac:
Ahmed Osman presents evidence that it was Thutmose III who was the Pharaoh that married Abram's wife, Sarai (Genesis 12:10-20),(1) and that his reign was the right time for Melchizedek, "a priest of the most high God," to be officiating at Salem (Jerusalem).(2) When the lives of Thutmose and Amenhotep were projected into a later time frame as the Biblical characters David and Solomon, the marriage between Thutmose III and Sarah was recycled as the story of David and Bathsheba (who was the wife of Ur-iah, a code name for Abraham.(3)).(4) Because we are told that Abram and Sarai's names were Egyptianized (to Abraham and Sarah),(5) and that they were presented with an Egyptian "slave woman"(6) as well as other suspicious events regarding the "miraculous" birth of Isaac, it is reasonable to deduce that the authors of the Bible were trying to make it as obvious as possible that Isaac was actually the son of the Pharaoh and the source of the original connection between Egypt and Israel.

Abraham was promised by "the Lord," i.e., the Pharaoh, that if he would raise Isaac as his own son, then he would be richly blessed, which of course he was. Abraham did as he was commanded, but not always happily. The story of the sacrifice of Isaac symbolizes Abraham's resentment(7) and desire to return Isaac to his real father. Abraham also requested of "the Lord" that his own son through the Egyptian woman Hagar be blessed in lieu of Isaac (Genesis 17:20,21)
----------
M*W: I wonder how many other OT references to "the Lord," actually meant "to the Pharoah?"

Back