Same Thread From Science And Technology...but I Need To Know

priebe06

Registered Member
Hi everybody! I was wondering a really important thing today. We all know that people and dogs get periods. But what about everybody else? Like all the cats and goats and horses and squirrels? What do they do? How do they get all the eggs and stuff out of there? I just really want to know whats going on and the internet won't let me know. So it'd be real nice if you could tell me whats going on here.
From Michelle The land

Please do not cross-post to multiple forums. Your other threads have been deleted.

In answer to your question, all mammals get periods. However, most are only fertile at certain times of the year, rather than every month in the case of humans.

do egg laying mammals like the duck bill platypus get periods? I think menstruation evolved from egg laying in which an egg is produce fertilized or not, when live birth was evolve it was still advantages to abort the tissues used to support the fetus, especially as this tissue could become diseased with still-born or cancerous embryos.

WellCookedFetus said:
do egg laying mammals like the duck bill platypus get periods?
Only the females of "placental" mammal species have them. Marsupials (pouched mammals like kangaroos) and monotremes (egg-laying mammals, the platypus and echidna) don't prepare the uterus for a placenta because the fetus is expelled either into the pouch or within the eggshell and doesn't use a placenta. Therefore the uterus does not fill with blood that needs to be gotten rid of.

The females of all egg-laying vertebrates do not build placentas. Birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish -- none of them have periods.

As an earlier posting explained, the period occurs in synchronization with the "estrus" (fertility) cycle. It happens several days after the female has ovulated and therefore is capable of becoming pregnant. In almost all mammals, that is the only time during the cycle that the female is physically capable of copulating.

Humans are very unusual, the female can copulate any time, even when she is not fertile. Dolphins also have that trait. Female dogs, horses, elephants, etc. cannot copulate except for the short period of time during which they are fertile. That's the time during which we say that the female is "in heat."

In most species the female, when "in heat," exudes pheromones (they are kind of like smells, except the male usually "smells" them unconsciously) which the males can sense, causing them to understand that the female can copulate and also causing their endocrine system to secrete hormones of their own into their blood stream, making them both capable of copulating and highly interested in doing so. Human and dolphin females don't do that. This makes the study of human sexuality much different from virtually all other mammals, because the desire for mating in both sexes is not psychologically linked with absolute biological precision to a short time span during which pregnancy can occur.

Actually it is not the blood the gotten ride of, its the layer of capillaries that happen to be filled with blood. But your explanation did not happen to contradict mine. Sorry I'm just use to quotes being used against me rather then as a starter for further expansions.

Back