Rods

kirstykiwi

Registered Senior Member
Hi, I'm new to the board (from New Zealand)
What a great site this is.
Anyway, I watched a programme not so long ago on "RODS" - Apparently a lot of film footage captured these Rod-like creatures on tape, from all over the world.
I found it fascinating as they have ruled out any 'glitches' on tape.
These things look like long rods with wings.

There is more info on "Rods.com" if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Kirsty

I remember hearing about this sort of thing. Pretty intriguing, but some of the videos looked faked. Welcome to sciforums and take care:cool:

Mmmm, anybody caught one of these things? I mean, since they seem to be everywhere, you'd think some of them would be caught in nets, filters, air-intakes, etc. or would have collided with planes, cars, trains, bicyclists, etc.

Hans

"Rods"

I watched a programme on "Rods" too. Called something like Alien Encounter. Probably one of the most egregious scams I've seen recently. Here's Skeptic Dictoinary's "Rods" page (Good links, both for and against).

"Rods" are usually insects caught in-flight. It's really quite obvious when you look at the footage. The stills that they show from video cameras are misleading.

Another good "Rods" site: http://www.opendb.com/sol/seq.htm

kirstykiwi:"I wonder how to explain other shots world-wide though?"

Are you alluding to the differences between NTSC and non-NTSC video cameras? That still does not rule out artifacts due to insects flying in front of the camera.

Not all "rods" are insects. I remember on the programme (this was Alien Encounter) they showed footage of a tornado and in the corner of the picture something appeared to streak across a cloud (they claimed that is was "at least 50 feet long"). Some "rods" are actually entirely unrelated phenomena.

MRC_Hans: "Mmmm, anybody caught one of these things?"

Yes, entymologists have been catching them for hundreds of years. ;)

Last edited:
Back