Robot Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

§Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥
Registered Senior Member
For my final year project (next year) I can create just about anything which involves advanced technology ideas. One possibility I considered is making a robot. Not just a robot, but maybe a robot designed to explore Mars. If I use plastic moulding, it's actually quite cheap, at least for creating a model designed to demonstrate ideas.

Anyway, a robot was just one of the possible ideas I had. But if I make such a thing, I want to get some ideas early, instead of leaving it until the thing is due.

So... Anyone, any ideas you have at all, please post them in here for me to consider. Any possible concepts for structure, mobility, materials, power, anything.

Final year is next year. I start that particular project in late July next year, but rather than wait until then to start thinking about it, I'd rather get some ideas now.

Phew...

so we are in the same year i guess.but which semseter?

i am just starting with my third year.

just curious...

bye!

I'm doing a 3-year degree, Bachelor Of Technology - Computers. The first year I did at an unattached college, and this year is my first at university. Unfortunately we have not focused as much on computers as I would like, not so far. We've done all sorts of electrical and communications things, only a tiny bit of programming. We just started second semester this week, and my subjects are now focusing more on computers, which is groovy. It's a rather intense course, heaps of people dropped out over the semester break, or changed to other degrees.

The robot idea is just one possibility. I also had an idea to work on a laser of some kind, just coz I love the idea of making a raygun. :D Maybe even a railgun! :D

I just thought making a robot would be heaps of fun.

Hi,
Thats a big topic. I would suggest you start by breaking it down into sections. Figure what you want or can afford to consider for Inputs, Outputs, Metabolism, Processing and Power. If you get your list together ask away on possible hardware solutions.

Inputs
Touch
Salvaged Mouse Buttons
Hairs - Metal wire through holes in metal with a rubber
backing.
Conductive rubber (Calculator keys ?)
Bumber Bars with microswitch.
Heat
Semiconductor Diodes ( Electronics required :)
LM335
Thermocouples
Pressure
Magnetics
Hall effect sensors
Sight
PhotoDiode
CCD camera
Sound
Microphone
Ultrasonic sensor
Accelerometer
Smell
Smoke detector
CO2 detector
Hygrometer
Taste
PH sensor
Kinesthesia ( Force/weight)
Scales
Conductive rubber
Strain Gauge
Limb Position
Potentiometers
LVDT
Orientation
GPS.
Compass.
Revolution counter
Infrared Direction finder.
Balance
Accelerometer
Mercury Attitude sensor.
Remote Control
Infrared
WAP 80211b
RF - (Model radio control ?)
Outputs
Smile - Video screen ?
Speaker
Wheels
Legs
Gripper

Metabolism
Stepper Motors
Gearing, pulleys, rack and pinion, Geared motors...
Pneumatics - Air pump, resevoir and pistons.
Air Muscles
Hydrollics - leaks
Memory Metal - Nitonol

Processing
Portable PC
Remote Link ?
Stamp

Power
Batteries
Gas cylinder
Power Cord
Petrol Motor
Solar Panel.
Nuclear <grin>

And once you have this together think about how to put it all together. Worry about weight, size, joints and how to get wire or tube past the joints and how to protect it from damage, particularly when it goes crazy. And it will go crazy trust me!

P.S. Excuse spelling.

Thats interesting,because during my high school days we built a Ruby laser for our Technical day.

bye!

Today in the lecture for Computer Organisation, the lecturer is this guy who is involved in all my uni's robotics projects, the R&D stuff. I mentioned a couple of my ideas to him today after the lecture and he said "You're hired". So maybe if I do well in this degree, I might get in on the robotics R&D stuff around here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back