Rna

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
I see so much news about DNA. Is RNA the red headed step child of science or what? I never hear a thing about it.
Does it not do a dang thing??

what? That's it? well.....I guess it really is a red haired stepchild. Who knew! oh wait, probably everyone but me, huh.
LOL

RNA is just one strand of DNA...in essence

That is just so wrong.
RNA is a completely different animal.

Wait 'til Hercules sees this.
He'll throw a conniption fit.

I see so much news about DNA. Is RNA the red headed step child of science or what? I never hear a thing about it.
Does it not do a dang thing??

Yikes.
RNA is the rage, right now.
Ever hear of microRNA?
RNAi?
Epigenetics?

DNA is boring. RNA is being shown to be behind more and more cell functions.

Uggghhh!!!! My God !!!!! I’m so flabbergasted that I can hardly type.
speechless-smiley-013.gif

Is no one aware of the central dogma of biology???????
speechless-smiley-020.gif

DNA --> RNA --> protein

RNA is as essential to the functioning of cells/tissues/organisms as any other biological molecule you can name. RNA is the blueprint for making proteins. It is essential for ribosomal function. It is essential for bringing free amino acids to ribosomes for polypeptide assembly. And recently RNA has been shown to play fundamental roles in gene regulation and development. Last year the Nobel Prize for Med/Phys was awarded for research into an aspect of RNA function.

Wait 'til Hercules sees this. He'll throw a conniption fit.

Too late. :)

:eek:
What Hercules said. I'd also add a reverse from RNA to DNA to account for RT-reactions. Though I probably just do it to confuse students ;).

Hey- viruses are exciting little bugs, especially ebola!

And it is possible to have double stranded RNA (dsRNA). Other differences are that RNA utilizes ribose instead of deoxyribose as it sugar and the nucliotide uracil is used.

Yeah, RNA is a copy of intron DNA material. Big deal in bio these days.

Who says viruses are bad?:(

But as mentioned earlier, RNA is used to produce proteins humans need, which would definantly make it good.

There is also rather an extensive field that looks into the function of small RNAs that are not translated but do have a regulatory capacity. This field is rather big and I am not to knowledgeable about it and hence I cannot from memory recite all the different classes of small RNAs that I am referring too and how they work in general.

They do exist though.

RNA is not just an intermediate between DNA and protein.

Oh wait, there is a short paragraph on it in the link pilpax gave. Doesn't give much info but it is a start.

Back