Rich Black, Flunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willy

Banned
Banned
The black parents wanted an explanation. Doctors, lawyers, judges, and insurance brokers, many had come to the upscale Cleveland suburb of Shaker Heights specifically because of its stellar school district. They expected their children to succeed academically, but most were performing poorly. African-American students were lagging far behind their white classmates in every measure of academic success: grade-point average, standardized test scores, and enrollment in advanced-placement courses. On average, black students earned a 1.9 GPA while their white counterparts held down an average of 3.45. Other indicators were equally dismal. It made no sense.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2003-05-21/news/rich-black-flunking/1

You see, black failure has nothing to do with poverty or racism, it is all about attitude.

Last edited:
Willy said:

You see, black failure has nothing to do with poverty or racism, it is all about attitude.

That's one way of looking at it. Attitude, however, is a shaped by environment.

Mod Hat - Inaccurate source citation

Mod Hat - Inaccurate source citation

The cited text in the topic post is inaccurately construed.

The topic shall remain open for a while so that the topic poster may correct this situation. If it is not corrected, the topic will be closed and the situation referred for administrative consideration.

Other posters are hereby requested to avoid posting in this topic until the situation is remedied.

As a black guy in college with a 3.3 gpa, I hate to say it but many blacks will never really trust the system. But when those same blacks whine and complain about not being able to find a job because of sub-par grades, my sympathy is lost. Most blacks are middle class in America now, but there are those who will always find an excuse to be left out of the American dream. Solution? Convincing more blacks that school is not just a white thing, but a human thing...Oprah is testament to that.

Mod Hat - Response

Mod Hat - Response

Willy said:
What is the problem?

You want me to post the whole article?

Without properly noting the omitted text, you are delivering a citation that misrepresents the source it is drawn from.

As it is, the citation bears the appearance of academic dishonesty. This form of academic dishonesty is quite severe. In real-world situations, people lose their jobs, or get expelled from universities for this sort of thing, Willy.

The fourth and fifth paragraphs of the topic post--

"The black parents feel it is their role to move to Shaker Heights, pay the higher taxes so their kids could graduate from Shaker, and that's where their role stops," Ogbu says during an interview at his home in the Oakland hills. "They believe the school system should take care of the rest. They didn't supervise their children that much. They didn't make sure their children did their homework. That's not how other ethnic groups think."

He believes continued societal deference to the victims of racial discrimination has permitted blacks "the license not to meet the same standards that others must meet," which has been detrimental to every aspect of African-American life. "To talk about black responsibility is "racist' and "blaming the victim,'" he says. "They just keep refusing to acknowledge the elephant in the living room -- black responsibility. When anybody in this culture today talks about black responsibility for their problems, they are condemned and ignored."

--form an example that is easy to understand. Both gramatically and intuitively, the "He" of the fifth paragraph refers to Dr. Ogbu. This is very inaccurate.

My first question at this point is whether you even read the article for its content, or rushed to post it as part of some agenda? Another question that comes to mind derives from your response to the prior moderator note:

Willy said:

What is the problem?

You want me to post the whole article?

Do you really not know how to omit text in citations? I prefer to doubt it, since the technique is simple, and, for people who read regularly, something you'll see every day.

Seriously, Willy--this one is very, very simple. But it's also very, very important.

If we set aside the presumption of ignorance, we're left looking at deliberate and calculated dishonesty. If this is the case, we're not looking at mere infractions here.

Fix it. If you really don't know how, fine; just say so, and we'll close the topic and set aside some time to educate our membership in the ("so simple a caveman could do it") requirements and techniques of textual citations.

All the info I posted is from the article.

I just posted what I thought was important to the subject.

The article is five pages long, when you say "fix it" should I post the whole article?

I have seen many threads on here where people just post part of the article and then the link.

I gave the link to the article, I have nothing to hide.

If I hadn't read the article, then I would not have known that the two paragraphs tiassa is referring to (originally posted by Willy) are actually the sentiments of two different people.

To racial theorist Shelby Steele, the response to Ogbu's work was sad but predictable. Steele, a black research fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution and the author of The Content of Our Character: A New Vision of Race in America, has weathered similar criticism for his own provocative theories about the gap between blacks and whites. He believes continued societal deference to the victims of racial discrimination has permitted blacks "the license not to meet the same standards that others must meet," which has been detrimental to every aspect of African-American life...

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2003-05-21/news/rich-black-flunking/2

Mod Hat - Closure

Mod Hat - Closure

The excerpt was constructed in a manner that misrepresents the source article. You are expected to be responsible and respectful in posting excerpts of other people's work. If you cannot manage to do so, we will not allow that to be Sciforums' problem.

And for the record, Willy, it's called an "ellipsis". People who read regularly encounter them every day. And most people know how to use them before they even know what they're called.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back