Ribosome

UKJoy

Registered Member
Hello;

Please could you tell me exactly what the ribosome is made from and also what are the 'machines' that make DNA made from? I'm sorry for my simplistic language as I'm only a layperson and not a scientist, but I am very curious to know this as I am so fascinated by these 'machines' and the way they work.

Also please could you tell me the answer to a kind of 'chicken and egg' question... which came first; the RNA and DNA or the ribosome and 'machines' that made them? This confuses me very much as I don't understand how they could all have evolved at the same time, but then surely one couldn't have existed before any of the others? It's something I'd apprciate some explanation about. Thank you.

I have tried looking for the answers online, but can't seem to find anything.

A ribosome is a small, protein, independent structure found within the cells of most living organisms except from viruses (and some question whether a virus is actually independently alive).
If memory serves, it functions by receiving and reading Trna (Transfer ribonucleaicacid). The ribosome reads the Trna which consists of a single strand of reversed rna expressed by the nucleus. As the ribosome moves along the Trna, it "reads" the bases (c, g, a and t) and sticks together a corresponding sequence of nucleotides to create a protein.

As far as I know, Rna would have been around for about the same time as Dna. The only difference between them being a couple of oxygen atoms.

I hope this helps.

Edit: A ribosome comes in two "halves" one half being a little larger than the other. they are identified according to the molecular weight of each half. They clamp themselves around the strand of TRna and move along it like a zipper reading the code and building the protein as it goes. Thete is another type that is held in a static position, but that would be confusing to get into just now..

Last edited:
I don't understand how they could all have evolved at the same time, but then surely one couldn't have existed before any of the others? It's something I'd apprciate some explanation about. Thank you.

My answer will lead me to commit a no no ( sin in a science forum ) and you get punished.
Here comes the scientific version 800.000 tears from earth formation to the appearance of early organism,
Think before an organism appears an RNA had to be formed , but think The earth was hot when formed there had to be a cooling period, by meteorite or comet bombardment , to bring water .
Friend I take you this far let the scientist take you the next journey:)

Last edited by a moderator:
DNA comes first of course, then a template for RNA begins. Afterwards, we have the protein, which is essentially what most components of a cell is made of. However if you're talking about the process of evolution, I'm afraid I can think of no good answer for that.

Back