Resurrection

surenderer

Registered Senior Member
I was thinking that among those beliefs crucial to Christianity few are of greater importance than that of the Resurrection. Paul went so far as to allege the very foundation of Christianity rests upon its occurrence.

1Cor. 15:14 "And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain." ( also: 1 Cor. 15:17)

Yet, why should the Resurrection be of such significance.(?) Elijah raised a child from the dead (1Kings 17:17, 21-22); Samuel said to Saul, "Why hast thou disquietedme, to bring me" (1Sam. 28.7, 11, 15); Elisha raised the dead son of a Shunammite ( 2 Kings 4:32, 34-35); a dead man being lowered into a grave revived when he touched the bones of Elisha (2 Kings 13:21); Moses and Elijah revived at the time of the Transfiguration ( Luke 9:28, 30 );the saints arose at the time of Jesus' death ( matt. 27:52-53 ); Jairus' daughter rose from the dead (Matt. 9:18, 23-25 ); the widow at Nain's son rose from the dead (Luke 7:11-15 ); and Lazarus rose from the dead ( John 11:43-44 ). All of these people ascended from death and all did so before Jesus. So why attribute so much importance to the event. By the time Christ rose from the dead this was a rather common occurrance. Moreover, people not only before Jesus but after as well. Peter raisedTabitha and Paul raised Eutychus.......so is it because of the Gods son thing?......somebody clear this up for me!!!!!......peace

Raising the dead and performing miracles were primary attributes of godly influence as expected by common superstitions 2000 years ago. The Christian myths would not have been so sucessful if they had not added those stories.

Did all those raised from the dead before Jesus was raised from the dead still eventually die? And likewise those raised from the dead after Jesus, did not all of them die also? When Jesus was raised from the dead He never died again.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Cris said:
Raising the dead and performing miracles were primary attributes of godly influence as expected by common superstitions 2000 years ago. The Christian myths would not have been so sucessful if they had not added those stories.

That is a baseless explanation. The Bible speaks of people performing miracles who were not "influenced" by God. Don't you read? ;)

surenderer said:
Yet, why should the Resurrection be of such significance.(?)

If Christ came preaching that he would die and be risen again the third day... and died and was NOT risen, what would there be to believe in? Christ told us what would happpen, and it happened... and it happened by the Power that was in Him, for God gave Him dominion over life and death.

How did God give him power when he was a God himself. Are you saying you have 2 Gods?

786 said:
How did God give him power when he was a God himself. Are you saying you have 2 Gods?

That's a good question because i also wonder Why does Jesus (pbuh) in the Lord's prayer address the Lord as "Father" and then refer to the Father's children throughout as "Us" and "We," instead of separating himself from the rest of the children of God, as the trinity would seem to demand?
If redemption through the blood of Jesus(pbuh), that one supposed member of the trinity, is all that is necessary for salvation, how are we to explain the many, many occasions in the Gospel that Jesus (pbuh) details the necessity of submitting directly to the One God -- without ever mentioning the role of his (Jesus') redeeming blood? ....peace to you

If Christian believes that Jesus is the Son of God because he called his God "Father" then they are mistaken. But if they do, I have a question.

When you go to Chruch, you say "Father" to the priest. Does that make him your legitimate Father.

@ 786

You had better address that to Catholics, for one. Secondly, that is NOT the reason Christians believe.

hello southstar nice to see you back, been on hoilday.
why do christians believe, without quoting from your book please .

fahrenheit 451 said:
hello southstar nice to see you back, been on hoilday.
why do christians believe, without quoting from your book please .

Yes, I've been taking some time off.

Interesting you asked me that question, I ironically read a book just two days ago entitled 'Know Why You Believe'. Go figure..

I'm assuming that you mean why do Christians believe Christ is God, or that God exists, or that the Bible is true?

Well..

Could you be a little more specific please? The best way I know how to answer your question is faith. Faith with substance, of course. Did I mention the Bible is historically accurate and archaeological findings have never proved it wrong, despite efforts to the contrary?

I don't think you visited my thread "Did Jesus fulfill the Prophesy?". Any logical person can say that it is false.

Signs of Jesus's Second Coming is as follows in the Bible.

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of he heavens shall be shakedn: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trupet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, THIS GENERATION shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."
Matthew 24:29-34
Tell me how many generations have passed since? Christians are still waiting for Jesus's second coming. The GENERATION has completely died. Now this another false prophesy.

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, THIS GENERATION shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Isn't it amazing how one person can read and see and another can read and not see.

I tell you the truth the (,) marks and the (.) marks placed in the bible where not put their by the original authors my friend. What the prophesy is saying is When we see the signs fortold in this prophesy "sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven" this generation (that sees these signs) will not pass before the Messiah shall return. This prophesy is repeated in more places in the bible.

Joel 2:31
The sun shall be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood, Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.

Acts 2:20
The sun shall be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood, Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.

Revelation 6:12
I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

PS: The original authors of the bible never used verses either.

I don't think you got my question(s).

Aren't the Christians waiting for Jesus's second coming?
If they are then this prophesy is false, since the apostle of Jesus (pbuh) are dead.

Back