Restart life

yaracuy

Banned
Banned
Have there ever been an experiment to restart life after a cell have been emptied out of the cell membrane ?:eek:
Example: A cell membrane is burs ted by freeze thaw , by ultra sound or by any mechanical means :eek:

Something_other_than_Frankenstein.jpg

Last edited:
My point is here we have all the compounds necessary for life, So how do we start life ?
We don't have to go far in order to synthesize DNA, Amino acids, enzymes and so on:eek:

Have there ever been an experiment to restart life after a cell have been emptied out of the cell membrane ?:eek:
No,
You know something and we have not heard? :huh:
But please do not come with the idea of god! :wallbang:

No,
You know something and we have not heard?
But please do not come with the idea of god!

No, I do not know any thing,nor I will come with the idea G-d
I am just curious . It is commonly said about primordial soup, so I went one step closer then the primordial soup.
I don't have in mind to introduce religion , that is for Social science.:shrug:

Whilst we have a fairly good handle on the components of life, we do not yet have the capability to create life artificially from them. However, we can manipulate life with an ever-increasing complexity and have achieved some notable things. Scientists have been able to remove the nucleus from a mammalian ovum and fuse it with a somatic cell to create a cloned embryo (somatic cell nuclear transfer, SCNT). They have been able to de-differentiate a somatic cell into an embryonic stem-like state (induced pluripotent stem cells, iPS cells) and clone animals from them. They have removed a genome from one species of bacterium and turned it into another related species by inserting a different genome. And, the same scientists have synthesized a synthetic bacterial genome and inserted it into bacterial cells.

They have removed a genome from one species of bacterium and turned it into another related species by inserting a different genome. And, the same scientists have synthesized a synthetic bacterial genome and inserted it into bacterial cells.

Very good, I assume in ( your ) mentioned case no disruption have been made to the organelles in place of the nucleus or cytoplasm.
So what this brings an other question : Is the organization of organelles within the confined membrane is important .:)

Bacteria are prokaryotes. They have no organelles.

Let me ask . If you would have a mash of bacteria emptied from its membrane and have all its components,
Would you be able to restore it to life ?:eek:

They have removed a genome from one species of bacterium and turned it into another related species by inserting a different genome..

And how far are they from doing this to for example a lab rat? Could it be done perhaps in multiple steps to turn a (example )blackrat into a (example) brown rat

>And how far are they from doing this to for example a lab rat?

Pretty far. There are some experimental viral delivery systems that can insert genes into cells, but nothing reliable. There are still massive problems with getting every cell, with suppressing immune activity, with integrating the genes into the nucleic chromosomes etc.

And in any case it may not have the effect you think it would. Replacing the genome of a rat with the genome of a dog, for example, would not turn the rat into a dog. It would probably just kill the rat. Replacing the genome of a Norway rat with a Sprague Dawley rat might lighten his coat, but would not change his body mass, for example.

And how far are they from doing this to for example a lab rat? Could it be done perhaps in multiple steps to turn a (example )blackrat into a (example) brown rat

In this case ( your case ) you are exchanging components of organism that:confused are a life:confused:

I think they are doing a great job .

And in any case it may not have the effect you think it would. Replacing the genome of a rat with the genome of a dog, for example, would not turn the rat into a dog. It would probably just kill the rat. Replacing the genome of a Norway rat with a Sprague Dawley rat might lighten his coat, but would not change his body mass, for example.

You mean changing the genome of a living (adult) rat I meant changing the genome of a fertilized egg.

Back