Researchers trace origin of an “altruism gene”

It’s interesting work, I love it. But I have a problem with this sort of wild extrapolation:

In evolutionary terms, Nedelcu said, there may be no fundamental difference between altruism in Volvox and the generosity that inspires people to give, say, to charity. Both might ultimately stem from similar mechanisms.
Maybe, but higher cognitive reasoning and complex human behaviour stems from activity in the cerebral cortex of the brain. They arise from the specific interconnectivity of cortical neurons and the ability of these neurons to communicate with each other at the electrical and neurochemical levels. The article, however, seems to simply describe basic metabolic genes that govern cell size. There has to be some sort of cellular basis to complex human behaviours, but once again science reporting falls into the trap of ascribing human behaviours to the action of single genes. I think describing this research as “tracing the origin of altruism genes” is simply hype. It would be better and much more accurate to describe and promote this research as “tracing the origin of multicellularity”, a topic I find fascinating and no less interesting than trying to forge some sort of tenuous link to altruism.

This is bullshit! Why do you even post this? You could very well say the samething by looking at an ant colony, and then avoid any reference to microbe research. This is just one man's warped interpretation of what he reinterpreted from a scientific article, just as this thread is. Read the original article and you'll find no such radical and fanatical misguided interpretation. Anyone can post anything they want to on the internet and this is another excellent example of that worthless unrestrained promiscuity.

Valich, it has been stated again and again. But it is probably worth repeating. You, sir, are an idiot. You are also the first one I ever directly insulted on the net (For what it's worth).

Do not even pretend that you read the original paper (or understood a word of it if you did).
Furthermore, the quote that Hercules had a problem with was the author's statement in an interview (handwaving anyone?). In fact, what you posted clearly indicated that you did not read the article in the provided link either.
[rant]
Please keep to your copy/paste parroting. While it usually does not has to do with any topics at hand usually does not reek of such bewildering ignorance that your own typings ooze out.[/rant]

The origin of altruism and cooperation is an enigma because evolutionary theory seems to predict such behavior should be rare or nonexistent.
Not so according to "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins. In fact it's perfectly understandable. If you help out your son or daughter, you are helping 50% of your own genes to survive. Other family members are also likely to have a percentage of your genes to varying degrees, (except for your in-laws).

Back