Reparations for blacks or indians in America ?

If reperations were going to occur, which group do you think deserves it the most ?

• The Blacks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Indians

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Pasta

Registered Senior Member
First off, I personally don't think anyone should get reperations for bad things done to their ancestors hundreds of years ago. It's just a hot topic that comes up from time to time about Blacks and sometimes Indians in America.

But suppose reperations HAD to happen for some reason.
Which group in America do you believe would deserve reperations the most ?
the Indians or the Blacks ?

(Insert Title Here)

Pasta said:

It's just a hot topic that comes up from time to time about Blacks and sometimes Indians in America.

Really? It's a hot topic? I hear about it these days almost exclusively from people who "don't think anyone should get reperations for bad things done to their ancestors hundreds of years ago".

(I say "almost exclusively" because I'm sure I heard it from a black man twenty years ago, and I might well have forgotten an encounter or two during the intervening years.)

Really? It's a hot topic? I hear about it these days almost exclusively from people who "don't think anyone should get reperations for bad things done to their ancestors hundreds of years ago".
I had the exact same reaction. It was my prediction when I opened the thread that it would be someone against. It is certainly a very small, incredibly small minority of these groups, themselves, who raises the issue, but it is a good way for non-blacks/native americans to feel like victims of something that is not going to happen.

I think its about time we helped rich white males. They get such a bashing these days...
I agree. Let's make them the central role in most Hollywood films. This could help build self esteem if they see themselves as heroes. Let's make sure that most people in leading positions in society are rich white males. And let's make sure that rich white males have good access to eduction, services, legal representation, food and luxury items.

It's about time they had it good.

Neither. (And I qualify as an Amirind.)

I would have to say the Indians would deserve reperations more imo. The loss of land and lives was a greater tragedy, not to mention the millions of Indians slaughtered by the Spanish in Central and South America.

It's not a very mainstream issue, but there are those in favor of it:
The National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America
The above site seems to have not been updated since 2003. On the other hand, a bill was introduced in January 2009 that is supposed to be a first step in paying reparations. But it seems to be stalled in commitee and has only 6 co-sponsors.
H.R. 40: Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act

(I say "almost exclusively" because I'm sure I heard it from a black man twenty years ago, and I might well have forgotten an encounter or two during the intervening years.)

True. I work in a very diverse location, and have close-enough relationships with my piers and subordinates to have intimate discussions. The only people with whom this is an issue is white people who have fooled themselves into believing that this is some festering issue within the black community. The one native (Chocktaw) and numerous black folks I work with, when the topic has ever come up, laugh at the notion. One: it's just not even possible within the genetic composition of the USA; and Two: they just don't expect it on moral grounds.

The minorities I know would just settle for good schools and the ability to go to Little Italy without fear of being called niggers and spicks.

~String

Reparations for the institutional crimes of the past fifty years would make sense, especially those with the direct victims alive and available, and a fairly concrete accounting of the material damages imposed.

In that line, it would be interesting to compare the relative monies owed to the Red tribes of the BIA embezzlements, compared with the Black personages of the recent mortgage fiascos and the agricultural loan scandals.

Weren't all the ex slaves supposed to get 50 acres and a mule if they did something or something or other? Shouldn't descendants get what was promised to them? You know for anyone who wants a mule to take care of.

I think its about time we helped rich white males. They get such a bashing these days...

It's also popular to bash America in general. Not that there aren't legitimate reasons. But sometimes it feels like America is a punching bag for people who live in glass houses.

I tentatively chose Indians. Although they live on another continent, and don't always speak English, I think people like SAM deserve a generous stipend so they can build vimanas to escape from the electric flying monkey men that attack people who sleep on their roofs.

oh... wait... Native Americans? Gotcha.

I really didn't feel like choosing either, but I think the conditions could be improved on certain reservations, since there are still valid treaties with the various nations.

Weren't all the ex slaves supposed to get 50 acres and a mule if they did something or something or other? Shouldn't descendants get what was promised to them? You know for anyone who wants a mule to take care of.

Not all exslaves and it was a field order issued by General Sherman and subsequently revoked by President Johnson (Lincoln's immediate successor).

Not all exslaves and it was a field order issued by General Sherman and subsequently revoked by President Johnson (Lincoln's immediate successor).
He not only revoked it. He took the land already allocated to black families and gave it back to the white owners.

There are some choice words to throw at Italians, you know!

None of which reach the height of "nigger". Not that I care. Not that I avoid any of the usage when political correctness demands otherwise. But, socially, the word "nigger" is about as low as it gets. "Fuck" and "Cunt" following close seconds and thirds.

~String

None of which reach the height of "nigger". Not that I care. Not that I avoid any of the usage when political correctness demands otherwise. But, socially, the word "nigger" is about as low as it gets. "Fuck" and "Cunt" following close seconds and thirds.

~String

Oh! The "C" word! I have never understood why that particular word is so controversial and loathsome. Is it just the way it sounds?

Personally, I find "nigger" to be a funny word. It's funny sounding, as far as I'm concerned. It certainly isn't offensive enough to prevent some black people from using it prolifically.

Oh! The "C" word! I have never understood why that particular word is so controversial and loathsome. Is it just the way it sounds?

Personally, I find "nigger" to be a funny word. It's funny sounding, as far as I'm concerned. It certainly isn't offensive enough to prevent some black people from using it prolifically.
context matters. I have friends who can call me asshole, shitface, bitch, and so on and hell, most of the time it sounds like affection.

Some person I don't know calls me that....bang, that has a whole nother feel.

I love fowl language. I've always gotten compliments on my poetic use of profanity. Even my father, who's a Prudy McPrudyton, laughs at my mixture of good clean words and colorful profanity.

Just yesterday I had to explain the terms "Felching" and "Gunt" to dad. He almost shit himself with laughter. . . after the dry heaving stopped, of course.

~String

Back