Religious texts as a historical reference.

Jaster Mereel

Hostis Humani Generis
Registered Senior Member
Now, I know that it's annoying when someone says that something is true because their bible says so, but I would just like to point out that religious texts are not totally invalid historical references. Some people around here seem to think that, because it is the holy text of the religion being discussed, it is a completely unreliable source of information. While I stress using sources such as the bible rarely and with great care, I do have to point out that any and all sources of sketchy historical information are usually biased, and at least somewhat untrustworthy.

Singling out the bible as being useless in a historical debate (while many times I agree) only shows your own inherent hostility towards the text, and thus that your perspective is also intensely biased.

In order that I not sound like I'm just criticizing, I will give non-believers some advice when dealing with this; simply, ask for the specific chapter and verse, make sure you have a bible on hand or some other way of gaining access to your own copy, and check out the verse yourself within the appropriate context, meaning that you shouldn't just dismiss it because it is the bible. Try and offer an alternative interpretation of not just that specific verse, but the story being told as a whole, and point out (if appropriate) how this does not mesh with current historical understanding by citing the appropriate (legitimate, professional, and as close to unbiased) secular sources, namely archaeological journals, books written by well respected and well known historians, etc. Remember, if you're an atheist, citing well known atheist websites or authors is just as ridiculous as a theist citing only the bible or other christian texts as a source.

For the believers, it's simple; if you are going to make a genuine historical claim, using the bible by itself is a meaningless gesture. In order for anyone to take you seriously you need to include secular, non-theist, professional, recognized sources in your claim. As simple as that. I'm sick of the back and forth, so in order to avoid this kind of useless banter, I suggest both side use these guidelines. If you think it's a waste of time, or I don't know what I'm talking about, fine. Ignore this thread.

I agree with you. Religious texts are great sources of accurate and useful information.

The bible, for instance, has wonderful discussions about clothes, foods, superstitious rites, taboos and ancient cult practices, the level of understanding of measurements (which sucked by standards set by others contemporaneous to early Jewish authors), agricultural practices, etc.

Rarely have I read anything from theists that cite this sort of real information, however. Typically they cling to the mythical lore of global floods, displacement of several thousand tons of water, self-fulfilled prophecies, asexual reproduction in humans, zombies, and temporary suspension of planetary spin.

You're right, but at times the existence of some historical figures, and the occurrence of some historical events which contain little if any fantastical claims is disputed simply because the only written record their their existence is in the bible. A good example is the existence of some kind of historical root to Jesus, and I can understand the dispute because any secular references to his existence come well after he supposedly lived. I suppose I could think up a few more, if necessary.

Now, I know that it's annoying when someone says that something is true because their bible says so, but I would just like to point out that religious texts are not totally invalid historical references. Some people around here seem to think that, because it is the holy text of the religion being discussed, it is a completely unreliable source of information.

It's all how one tries to interpret the bible. I for one don't think that it holds any water, it's full of holes and the titanic has better chances of coming back to surface than proving archeological events within the bible. Some points "very itsybit minor" may be true, but from the bulk of it, it's simply made up BS!

But hey don't take my word for it, ask the experts:

click

click

clack

Godless

SkinWalker said:
I agree with you. Religious texts are great sources of accurate and useful information.

The bible, for instance, has wonderful discussions about clothes, foods, superstitious rites, taboos and ancient cult practices, the level of understanding of measurements (which sucked by standards set by others contemporaneous to early Jewish authors), agricultural practices, etc.

Rarely have I read anything from theists that cite this sort of real information, however. Typically they cling to the mythical lore of global floods, displacement of several thousand tons of water, self-fulfilled prophecies, asexual reproduction in humans, zombies, and temporary suspension of planetary spin.

Hats off to you, very well put.

Back