Religious nones

Cris

In search of Immortality
Valued Senior Member
Living the religious life of a none.

Growing numbers shed organized church for loose spiritual sensibility.

An interesting article that shows the trend away from organized religions and towards......atheism? Most nones say they believe something but they aren't quite sure what, they just know that the institutions are not for them.

While more and more people are prepared to say they belong to no religion it would appear the group has yet to reach a critical mass where they would say there is nothing in which to believe at all, and which I suspect will be the inevitable position in a few decades to come.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/12/04/MNG0Q3FQD51.DTL

Enjoy.

mn_nones04.jpg

Wild West looks like more non-religious than South and East (barring VT) :D

Current institutional setup of religions loose the grip on a society that now has more things to bother at hand.

Everneo, thanks for the graphic, I didn't see that before.

CA has a large Latino contingent who tend to be Catholic and I suspect that accounts for the lower % in CA.

Cris,

I too almost missed the link.

Can you tell why VT has 22% on the East.?

Originally posted by Cris
While more and more people are prepared to say they belong to no religion it would appear the group has yet to reach a critical mass where they would say there is nothing in which to believe at all, and which I suspect will be the inevitable position in a few decades to come.
Cris, why would you insist that non-affiliation should in any way promote atheism? After all, your average New-Age fruitloop is unaffiliated.

Originally posted by everneo
Cris,

I too almost missed the link.

Can you tell why VT has 22% on the East.?

To us, Vermonters, hiking, camping, boating or skiing is a spiritual experience that is equivalent to churchgoing ;)

Consequent,

Cris, why would you insist that non-affiliation should in any way promote atheism? After all, your average New-Age fruitloop is unaffiliated.
I’m not sure ‘insist’ quite captures my suggestion. My observation is that institutional religions have dominated the world for a long time and it will take quite a while before a large number of people can experience a world where such institutions are not dominant. Once we reach a point where ‘god’ and ‘spirituality’ largely become just vague personal ambiguous terms without controlling dogma, then surely such ideas will become as influential and relevant as fairies and leprechauns are today. The growing New Age tendency seems to be an inevitable intermediate stage that is effectively diluting mainstream religions.

But I don’t think this will ‘promote’ atheism, but rather that no one will take religious ideas seriously. Atheism as a ‘movement’ will similarly fade to the point comparable to today’s non-existent ‘anti-fairyism’. I.e. it would become as irrelevant and laughable to deny a god as it would be to promote one.

As someone with a deep and abiding appreciation of the Daoine Sidhe, I take umbrage at terms such as ‘anti-fairyism’.

The demise of organized religion as a focal institution will certainly undermine the hold of religious dogma. Unfortunately, I am aware of no evidence to suggest that naturalism will flood in to fill the vacuum. Instead, you might easily end up with a self-obsessed, mildly theistic and and mildly superstitious populace that instinctively turns to God(s) with each life crisis. I prefer thoughtful theists to indifferent ones -- I simply don't see LCD theism as an improvement.

I think the reason why people is moving away from organised religion because they found it nolonger provides them with answers which improves their lives. Organised religion had been around for thousands of years, but through those times, nothing really changed, it did not solve any real problems, we are still killing each other, we still think we are separated from eachother which allowed many to die of hunger and we just kept on ignoring it. Many people had move on from be religious to find spirituality. ie they stopped taking other people's words and make them their truth to a place where they explore themselves and find out about their own truth.
To Cris,
I think eventually all people would move away from organised religion, but not to a place where they believe there is nothing at all, but a place where they find their inner truth through spirituality.

Highly surprising NY has a lower percentage than Colorado or even Wyoming. Alabama and Louisiana not surprising at all.

A note...

With everneo's graphics I noticed all the southern states had the lowest persentages!!.

Another thing about all the southern states, they are as well the poorest states in the nation, and the most widely populated by latinons.

So we have two mixes here of why religion is so popular in these states.

Godless.

That is an alarmingly high percentage of people that still have religious affiliation.
In fact that is deeply worrying.
Only 3% of the people in north dakota are not religious? Thats insane, is that state run by a cult or something?
And whats truely frightening is the highest percentage in the country is 25%?!?! :confused:
I'd love to see other countries.

Offtopic: Cris I don't suppose you feel like starting a thread on the subject of your signature? Perhaps in the ethics forum??
I couldn't disagree more;)

Dr Lou,

Offtopic: Cris I don't suppose you feel like starting a thread on the subject of your signature? Perhaps in the ethics forum??
I couldn't disagree more
I’ve had that sig for several weeks now and have been very surprised that no one has picked on it.

But feel free to start a thread in say ethics and pick on me and I’ll defend/explore my assertion.

A monkey from my ass

The eastern US is old society; established, dominated by blue-blooded conservatism. Out west, in the tradition of the pioneers, there is a greater acceptance of the savagery of life inasmuch as even people like me who never went to war, don't like boxing, but occasionally want to see pro football go lethal ... well, out here the post-Edwardian and pseudo-Victorian social distortion was weakened by necessity. A lady never? Well where are you gonna squat for miles that people can't see you?

And from such seemingly small things, everyday practicality, there is a different sensibility about right and wrong on the west coast than in the midwest or the east coast. Nor do the midwest and east mesh perfectly or, in some cases, even well.

Think about it: retirees in Vegas lower the percentage of unaffiliated in Nevada. I mean, Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle in the 1990s ... (Los Angeles is almost cliche.)

In the nineteenth century, Seattleites imported Japanese women for brides.

What I'm after is that the context of what God is seems very different from back east, to judge by what comes out of the South. (Things get weird enough in Washington, DC, but if you hop into Virginia ... well, Pat Roberts is there, and a few others ....)

I would have to drag out a massive citation from Jack Cady's The American Writer, and frankly I'm not up to it at the moment. But the fact that the west coast has Russian and Japanese and other such influences, combined with the degrees and conditions of society coastal pioneers were able to wrest from the land and the locals lays a different foundation for perceiving the relationship between the individual and God.

Look at that band of Idaho, Utah, Arizona. The numbers are low for the West. Mormon, Mormon, I-can't-quite-explain. The mishmash of post-American Christianity, pseudo-nativist religions, and new age spiritualists could explain Arizona, perhaps, but all I can explain about Montana is that urban Montana, inasmuch as (A) it exists, and (B) I've seen it (Missoula) reminds me of Corvallis, Oregon, or Puyallup, Washington. "Huh? Where?" you might ask. And that's my point about Montana, but compared to North Dakota next door, who cares?

Out west we worry less about who God is or what He tells you to do, and more about how the pieces of the mysterious Universal puzzle go together. Out west there are some who believe in God only because it lets them laugh harder at the "Hey, Darwin!" line from Robin Williams' performance in San Francisco in the early 1980s.

But a church label? Hell, I have a friend who was raised Quaker, went to a Catholic high school, attended a Southern Baptist Convention youth group (one of three) ... quite obviously she's done with labels. (Although she's not, as of this writing, out west.)

I think that even among those out west who believe in God there's a greater tendency to dwell less on affiliations and more on the questions God represents.

Hell, I have one friend, a former Seventh-Day Adventist, who is so determined to be unaffiliated that he's started his own r ... I mean, it's not a religion.

(Yeah, right.)

Hell, I ... that's right, I, me, my own damn self, Tiassa ... I won't even perform blood rituals.

It's not a religion?

In my best valley-voice: What-ever.

It's a different America out west, especially on the coast. That difference is so severe that the two-state division of Washington and Oregon ought to be a north-south division along the Cascades. Seriously, go inland across the Cascades and Washington is almost a foreign country to me. The difference between, say, Astoria, Oregon, and Le Grande, Oregon is ... equally severe.

Did Steve Miller ever make it to Alaska?

I'll even nod to my neighbors to the north, in B.C., for their contribution. Keep it green, boys and girls. Keep it green and kind and beautiful up there.

But I don't think we'll see the eventual flip to atheism in America during my expected natural lifetime. We'll see what technology brings; I might yet get to see how things work out.

(At least it wasn't pigs flying out of ... er ... never mind.)

:m:

Back