Religious leaders hit back at Hawking

Trooper

Secular Sanity
Valued Senior Member
September 3, 2010 - Religious leaders hit back at Hawking on Godless creation

Richard Dawkins meets with Stephen Hawking

“On the Origin of Species” was published on November 24, 1859. It has been one hundred and fifty years and religious leaders are still claiming that science and religion have a relationship. "Science is about explanation. Religion is about interpretation.”

Interpretation, the meaning…:wtf: Science has found the meaning of life, as well.

The meaning of life:
a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body
b : a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings
c : an organismic state characterized by capacity for METABOLISM, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction

Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks said: "Science is about explanation. Religion is about interpretation ... The Bible simply isn't interested in how the Universe came into being."

The Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols, “I would totally endorse what the Chief Rabbi said so eloquently about the relationship between religion and science."

Fraser Watts, an Anglican priest and Cambridge expert in the history of science, said that it's not the existence of the universe that proves the existence of God. “A creator God provides a reasonable and credible explanation of why there is a universe, and ... it is somewhat more likely that there is a God than that there is not. That view is not undermined by what Hawking has said."

Ibrahim Mogra was also quoted by the Times as saying: "If we look at the Universe and all that has been created, it indicates that somebody has been here to bring it into existence. That somebody is the almighty conqueror."

I want out of this relationship...:mufc:

so the whole purpose of life is to build things up and let them eventually come crashing down on time. why?

to do it all over again the right way.

what relationship you talkin about the relationship with god?

The meaning of life:
a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body
b : a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings
c : an organismic state characterized by capacity for METABOLISM, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction
lol

I can just imagine a gross reductionist waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror ...

"I have the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body ..... I have a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings ..... I have an organismic state characterized by capacity for METABOLISM, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction"

nb - "capacity for reproduction" is probably an apt terms since such a person is probably not decked out with enough social skills to maintain a substantial relationship

I suppose that “growth and reaction to stimuli” is also only an apt term.
I do hope that you’re a person who is decked out with enough social skills to maintain substantial growth…:mufc:

I suppose that “growth and reaction to stimuli” is also only an apt term.
I do hope that you’re a person who is decked out with enough social skills to maintain substantial growth…:mufc:
sure
new cells are reproducing to replace old ones even as we speak
what else could there be, eh?
:D

I'm surprised at all the hubbub that's been generated over Hawking's words. Has he really said anything that shocking or new? I think the bigger issue that's come out of this discussion are the number of misconceptions out there about what the Big Bang theory actually says, and that concepts such as time and causality are considered by many to be fundamental to logic, when in fact they aren't. Why do we need a creator to explain what came before there was such a thing as "before"?

Science has found the meaning of life, as well.

The meaning of life:

I've been depressed, but I read this and damn if I don't have a reason to get out of bed in the morning now. I feel the kindling of a deep inspiration radiating at the base of my hypothalamus. Oh, life! Oh, joy! Today I will rush out and react to stimuli.

Glad I could help. I know a lot about Endocrinology.
Trust me. A fresh set of double A batteries works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks said:"...The Bible simply isn't interested in how the Universe came into being."
Genesis 1:1 has certainly been made erroneous. The Bible's credibility takes a hit right out of the gate.

Fraser Watts" ... it is...somewhat more likely...that there is a God than that there is not..."
Nature is evidenced as the sole dynamic. Watts must define "likely" with the meaning, "likable, attractive or appealing", as in ..."We (religious leadership) would "like" a God to be believed, as to continue fooling people (sheep) into giving us a continuing paycheck..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I could help. I know a lot about Endocrinology.
Trust me. A fresh set of double A batteries works like a charm. :thumbsup:
I knew science would develop devices to replace everything I thought of as myself. I await full replacement. Let my android double deal with all this shit.

You’re improving, Keith.Keith. :D
I received a neg from (you know who) yesterday. :bawl:

Doreen said:
I knew science would develop devices to replace everything I thought of as myself. I await full replacement. Let my android double deal with all this shit.

Right on, little Missy...:D

Hoisted on their own petard :xctd::worship:
Aww…trying to present a decent comeback because you’re afraid to comeback.
You’re the one who dragged me out of the convent, remember…:mufc:

Aww…trying to present a decent comeback because you’re afraid to comeback.
You’re the one who dragged me out of the convent, remember…:mufc:

They put batteries in cattle prods too...just trying to figure out the condition my conditioning is in.

(I really like the moderators at this sight. They keep the place on task, without the Marquis De Sade enjoyment fetishes).

Back