Religions suffer from their inflexible world views

Hermann

Registered Senior Member
The world views (weltanschauung) of religions are thousands of years old and cannot cope with the scientific knowledge of today. In consequence most scientists reject any kind of religion. But there are still possibilities to match a religious world view with today’s scientific knowledge and anyone may try this individually. A suitable method and a corresponding example are described on my website:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/hermann.raith

Therefore the question, whether God exists is only a philosophical one. Much more important seems to be the question: Is there a spiritual world outside matter and will we still exist as active and self-aware individuals after our biological death? My personal answer here is a clear "Yes".

What do you mean, still exist as active and self-aware? This is just as irrational as religion in my opinion. If you did not say things such as these, I would wholly join your project Hermann.

What do you think a brain is for, anyhow? Hmm. Its a large, fleshy organ that consumes a generous portion of our blood supply as organisms. Could it be, that the there is an evolutionary reason for this?

Or perhaps the large size of the brain is meant to attract a mate, much like a peacock's feathers. Well, that would explain why women have such small ones.

So far, the most beautiful description of the soul I have read is by Aristotle. To him, the soul is more like a form in wax, a pattern that subsists in, penetrates, and controls raw matter. Its what gives us life.

What would make that so different as to what has happened throughout history?? Even today people constantly change their religions or views to one that is "better for them." It may have easier ceremonies to attend or require only one day dedicated to "praying" or whatever. It takes into account human fear and weakness. Humans are afraid of death, humans want rewards, etc..

Bob, you are right. In your opinion my “religious” world view must be similar irrational as religions. But in my opinion it is still a rational world view, which is not in conflict with proved scientific knowledge (of course it is also not confirmed by sciences).
The human brain is comparable with the control center in a big aircraft, but the “pilot” of the brain is the soul. I think the individual soul is the real self and without being captured by a body (after death) we will still exist as self aware individuals.

Generally it seems to easy to say, religions are for such who are afraid of death. I think everybody needs a belief - and atheism is also one – in order to become clear about the own position. My main aim was to look for a believable belief, which I could not find in atheism and also not in standard religions.

reply to title:Religions suffer from their inflexible world views
if they are really following the word of god then they cant help being inflexible, thats justteh way it is.

Hermann said:
Bob, you are right. In your opinion my “religious” world view must be similar irrational as religions. But in my opinion it is still a rational world view, which is not in conflict with proved scientific knowledge (of course it is also not confirmed by sciences).
The human brain is comparable with the control center in a big aircraft, but the “pilot” of the brain is the soul. I think the individual soul is the real self and without being captured by a body (after death) we will still exist as self aware individuals.

Generally it seems to easy to say, religions are for such who are afraid of death. I think everybody needs a belief - and atheism is also one – in order to become clear about the own position. My main aim was to look for a believable belief, which I could not find in atheism and also not in standard religions.

What about a prediction, that one admitted might not be true, but that one nevertheless believed was true?

Would that constitute a belief?

What if you are alone, and loveless, and you place some hope in the possibility that you may find a lover equal to you? You know it may not be true, but you believe that it probably will happen. You cherish and privelege a rational hope.

As for your beliefs about the soul, I am presently satirizing them in the thread entitled "Why does man have such a large fleshy brain organ?". I encourage you to post there and come to my defence. ;) It would be humorous.

I don't think truth is the something that can be believed. It can only be known directly. If you believe in something, that doesn't mean it's true. I used to believe in Santa Claus, Adam and Eve, the flood story, Jesus being God, and etc... Belief is something that only gets in your way of knowing the truth.

The whole problem IMO about Life after death is that once you die after 80 odd years of physical existence you get to hang around for eternity doing exactly what?

Eastern thought such as reincarnation makes greater sense than hanging around as some old fuddy duddy playing a harp for a trillion years. [sounds more like hell doesn't it unless your a real harp fan.....ha]
Or is there death in heaven and maybe you get to do another 80 year stint......hmmmm.....after a trillion years of playng the harp anything would be better I would guess :D

What is the truth???
True are only simple scientific facts – e.g. the earth is round. All other things, which are not well proven by science can only be a belief.
“Life after death” can be treated as a rational belief. This means, it can be discussed under different aspects in order to find out its probability. But whether there is really a life after death anybody may experience later individually.
If somebody calls a holy script or any religious of philosophical statement the absolute truth, it must be regarded as irrational belief or fanaticism, where rational discussions are useless.
Finally there is an active belief, which is a strong and doubtless expectation – e.g. becoming successful, rich, healthy or ill. This active believe is a very strong mental force, which makes the fulfilment very likely.

Finally there is an active belief, which is a strong and doubtless expectation – e.g. becoming successful, rich, healthy or ill. This active believe is a very strong mental force, which makes the fulfilment very likely.

hmmmm...well I guess they had better define heaven a little more thoroughly other wise they may just end up playng a harp for eternity.....[chuckles]

Back