Religion

Cyperium

I'm always me
Valued Senior Member
We have a area in the brain which is made to handle religious experiances. I guess that it is because we need to have a sense of meaning, that what we do is meaningful and for a purpouse higher than ourselves.

I think this has to do with the development that we went through to establish our current system of interpreting things, then we had meaning cause we had to find the way to learn and find the way to comprehend everything, but now as we've allready learnt most of the things that we have to learn, we find ourselves lost, because we've forgotten that it had a higher purpouse to begin with. Since we've gone so far in our way, the beginning fades away into nothingness, and we can't see and pin-point the cause of our search, and therefor forget why we took the way we did, because of that we don't know which way to continue.

But we have a guide, the feelings that we have are remains of the beginning, the first cause, our "mission", the truth goes around, as we come closer to the truth we come closer to our original purpouse and can feel it from the beginning to the end (cause they are at the same place on the "circle"). Children are very close to the beginning, and therefor very close to the end, and can see what they should have done in the end and make it right in life, why do most children believe that they will live forever? Maybe because they see how they should have done in the end and because that is so simple and true that they think that we never can forget it...so they forget it...what's undoubtable is often absorbed into a feeling, so to search the truth is to follow our feelings.

When we try to find the truth's then we often try to figure out how we look physically, and look at how the brain works, how the universe works and so on... but maybe we should take a look beneath the surface? Finding the original essence behind all shells?

Sorry to ruin your illusion...

But this post, is nothing more than generalization.

Quote: (We have a area in the brain which is made to handle religious experiances)

Where is this area?, where is the scientific evidence? or I'm I just suppose to have "faith" that this area exists?.

Quote: (what we do is meaningful and for a purpouse higher than ourselves.)

What is this purpose you speak off?, This statement is about the most selfless, crap I've read in a long time. What humans do, to have meaning in their lives is totally a selfish thing, to strive to live healthy, happy, and productive. There is no such thing as higher purpose, other than our own survival.

Cyperium I think you need to read a little more on human developtment from how consciousness came to be to why religion exists in our society. Religious texts such as the bable, qua'ran etc. all, are just ancient atempt at metaphysics & philosophy.

Basically your post was a rationalization of human development.

Godless.

Originally posted by Cyperium
We have a area in the brain which is made to handle religious experiances. I guess that it is because we need to have a sense of meaning, that what we do is meaningful and for a purpouse higher than ourselves.
----------
M*W: Are you referring to the brain chemical dimethyltryptamine (DMT)? The question is: Does this brain chemical enable us to "handle" religious (spiritual/hallucinatory?) experiences or does it "generate" these experiences? Could this brain chemical be the cause of "stigmata" and "apparitions?" Could this brain chemical be the cause of Paul's vision in creating a new and radical religion?
----------
I think this has to do with the development that we went through to establish our current system of interpreting things, then we had meaning cause we had to find the way to learn and find the way to comprehend everything, but now as we've allready learnt most of the things that we have to learn, we find ourselves lost, because we've forgotten that it had a higher purpouse to begin with. Since we've gone so far in our way, the beginning fades away into nothingness, and we can't see and pin-point the cause of our search, and therefor forget why we took the way we did, because of that we don't know which way to continue.
----------
M*W: I don't believe it has anything to do with our "development" per se, but we might have developed this brain chemical along the course of our evolution like it might have been genetically programmed to be released at a certain point in our development. This chemical obviously wasn't released to all of us at the same time in recorded history. Some are more visionary than others. Who's to say that Moses, Paul, Mohammad, Martin Luther, Joseph Smith or Jim Jones didn't act as a result of DMT?
We have learned nothing as the evolving human race. Our ever increasing intellect isn't because of what we've "learned," it is because our total innate knowledge of everything has been suppressed and then released at certain points in our cumulative development. It has been said that the past 100 years of technology development is equivalent to the technology produced in the past 20,000 years! I would ask why did we all of a sudden (on an evolutionary timeline) have this tremendous amount of knowledge revealed to the human race? Why now? Why so fast? Was it due to certain chemicals that emerged in the human brain?
----------
But we have a guide, the feelings that we have are remains of the beginning, the first cause, our "mission", the truth goes around, as we come closer to the truth we come closer to our original purpouse and can feel it from the beginning to the end (cause they are at the same place on the "circle"). Children are very close to the beginning, and therefor very close to the end, and can see what they should have done in the end and make it right in life, why do most children believe that they will live forever? Maybe because they see how they should have done in the end and because that is so simple and true that they think that we never can forget it...so they forget it...what's undoubtable is often absorbed into a feeling, so to search the truth is to follow our feelings.
----------
M*W: This "guide" you are speaking of is our basic instinct for survival. We've come all the way from foraging for our food to finding distant worlds to explore.
----------
When we try to find the truth's then we often try to figure out how we look physically, and look at how the brain works, how the universe works and so on... but maybe we should take a look beneath the surface? Finding the original essence behind all shells?
----------
M*W: I believe everything will be revealed to the human race at the appropriate time. In other words, new brain chemicals or neurotransmitters, are also in the process of evolution. We come from being animals to being more God-like. We're not creating anything "new," we're finally experiencing what we've always known but didn't know it because the knowledge was suppressed. It's all about foraging for food to survive.

Back