Religion and Statistics

Reiku

Banned
Banned
Today, when i returned to the piano, (after months of neglect ;) ), i began to play a piano concerto i composed eight years ago. It is quite a difficult peice, and without having been at a grade 8, you couldn't play it, with over 100,000 notes, there is something equivalant to 6-8 notes per second, and something struck me, as my hands acrobatically tackled these notes.

Matter is proposed to vibrate... and the best theory for this right now, is string theory. Tiny vibrating strings, and these vibration are what causes its element and fundamental behaviour. Just like how sound vibrates to make a sense, tiny strings are all vibrating to their own harmony which, beyond all measure of a doubt, work togather in a group harmony.

How does matter do this?

Take my concerto again. I imagined that my peice of music, and every note i played, was somehow a particle. Whilst there are many more particles found in the standard model, even in supergravity theories than you would find in a simple octave, this made the analogy grow into something even more surprising. Every time i hit a note, and made the tune sound good, is analogous to how matter incorporates some type of creation at the smallest levels.

If the peice i was playing was random, the notes would have sounded messy, and thus goes the analogy of matter and music. But if it was random, and the notes came out perfectly sounding good as they do when i put concentration and effort into the peice, the statistics are so tremendous, i would be sitting here for years, just to work out the entire peice.

Now, we know something like 410 particles in the standard model. They are all vibrating, just like the keys on a piano, and they play an intrical overture to creation at large. How could we ever fathom the statistics of this reality? In the other thread here concerning statistics, i asked ''do statistics prove the existence of God,' or more correctly, i should have said, ''do statistics prove that existence cannot be random?''

How can they be random when considering factors of 10^10,000 to 1 (as a rough estimate of nothing ;) )? In the other thread, i showed i could incorporate rather interesting statistics from the first seven words of the Bible, giving a chance of selection at 1.9 x 10^27 to 1, that the Bible could be written as chance. But even that is a small statistic on cosmological scales.

When the universe began, quantum physics states that it HAD TO BEGIN from an infinite amount of set-up positions. This means there was mutually an infinite amount of beginning not capable for life, and much as there was that could. The statistics alone that this universe could have begun at the state it did, is unquestionably high, not to mention the fact i am sitting here right now writing about this.

The human body, which was of main concern in the other thread, should have in fact been the least of our concern. As i have shown the implication at the dawn of time, and even afterwards, things are fantastically complex. Think about the vacuum, and all the conditions of expansion through the phases which left our earth in this exact position from the sun with a stable field created by the moon...

... And its not fair to say... ''oh well... there are an infinite amount of planets... why not?''

Well, be careful. There are currently at any moment in time, a finite amount of real matter, and an infinite amountof virtual... and all the real matter in the universe makes up only 1% of all the vacuum in total... so this arguement doesn't hold well.

Statistics can prove something is up. What it is, is for another matter of speculation.

Statistics can prove something is up

Statistics can prove ANYTHING that you want them to prove , it is all how you interpret the data. I can make anything look either right or wrong using the same statistics so what do they really prove....NOTHING! ;)

How can they be random when considering factors of 10^10,000 to 1 (as a rough estimate of nothing ;) )? In the other thread, i showed i could incorporate rather interesting statistics from the first seven words of the Bible, giving a chance of selection at 1.9 x 10^27 to 1, that the Bible could be written as chance. But even that is a small statistic on cosmological scales.

When the universe began, quantum physics states that it HAD TO BEGIN from an infinite amount of set-up positions. This means there was mutually an infinite amount of beginning not capable for life, and much as there was that could. The statistics alone that this universe could have begun at the state it did, is unquestionably high, not to mention the fact i am sitting here right now writing about this.

The human body, which was of main concern in the other thread, should have in fact been the least of our concern. As i have shown the implication at the dawn of time, and even afterwards, things are fantastically complex. Think about the vacuum, and all the conditions of expansion through the phases which left our earth in this exact position from the sun with a stable field created by the moon...

... And its not fair to say... ''oh well... there are an infinite amount of planets... why not?''

Well, be careful. There are currently at any moment in time, a finite amount of real matter, and an infinite amountof virtual... and all the real matter in the universe makes up only 1% of all the vacuum in total... so this arguement doesn't hold well.

Statistics can prove something is up. What it is, is for another matter of speculation.

Again.... funny.... I have thougth along the same lines. I was listening to some music the other day and playing with the windows media player. The visuelle effects/curves.
Every tune have a very destinct wave patten, also if shown on a graph.
Try playing some music in wmp and set visuelle effects to curves.

Thats your graph right there.
Now watch the graph when you pause, and when you press play.
When you pause it you have the potential as it was at that time in space.
Now watch the dymanic of the curves as it shows potential realtime.

Reiku,

When the universe began, quantum physics states that it HAD TO BEGIN from an infinite amount of set-up positions.
There isn’t a good reason to believe it could have a beginning, since all our observations tell us matter/energy is neither created or destroyed, but is simply interchangeable.

This means there was mutually an infinite amount of beginning not capable for life, and much as there was that could. The statistics alone that this universe could have begun at the state it did, is unquestionably high, not to mention the fact i am sitting here right now writing about this.
The essence of this argument is a logical fallacy. The proposal is that the universe was designed specifically so that it would fit human life.

What we observe is that human life arose as a result of the state of the universe. Had the universe been different then either human life would not have resulted or life would be different.

It is not that the universe was designed to fit human life but that life fits the universe. I.e. life is a result of the universe and not that the universe is a result of life.

Conditions that allowed life to arise. So of course the conditions are a perfect fit, how could it be otherwise?

This is like expressing astonishment that the shape of a cooking pan is identical to the resultant cake it cooked. Gee what are the fantastic statistical probabilities that the pan would have the perfect shape to fit the cake? Doh!

(1)What we observe is that human life arose as a result of the state of the universe. Had the universe been different then either human life would not have resulted or life would be different.

It is not that the universe was designed to fit human life but that life fits the universe. I.e. life is a result of the universe and not that the universe is a result of life.

(2)This is like expressing astonishment that the shape of a cooking pan is identical to the resultant cake it cooked. Gee what are the fantastic statistical probabilities that the pan would have the perfect shape to fit the cake? Doh!

1. Human life arose as a result of the start of our solar system, as far as we know there is not human life anywhere else in the universe.

2. If you take into account all the factors that are in making a cake, look at how much of the cake that is dow and how much that is air(gas). take a look at micro level and see how far the cake is from actually astonishing how little the cake forms after the pan.

Yinyan,

1. Human life arose as a result of the start of our solar system, as far as we know there is not human life anywhere else in the universe.
Whether we are unique or not is irrelevant. The point is there is no reason to believe the universe or solar system was designed specifically to cause us.

2. If you take into account all the factors that are in making a cake, look at how much of the cake that is dow and how much that is air(gas). take a look at micro level and see how far the cake is from actually astonishing how little the cake forms after the pan.
You've missed the point and taken the analogy too far. The only issue was the shape and nothing else.

Life evolved as a result of the conditions offered by the universe. It is extremely perverse to suggest that the conditions of life came first and then the universe formed to fit those conditions.

Yinyan,

Whether we are unique or not is irrelevant. The point is there is no reason to believe the universe or solar system was designed specifically to cause us. which is the belive in religion

You've missed the point and taken the analogy too far. The only issue was the shape and nothing else. Well everything is relative... It depends on from where you see it.
Life evolved as a result of the conditions offered by the universe. It is extremely perverse to suggest that the conditions of life came first and then the universe formed to fit those conditions. Well then it is good that I did not say that the solarsystem evolved around life.[/QUOTE]

It would have been easier for the universe to have 60 dimensions and not make any sense, than to arise with the four it has today.

Back