Religion and concept

Norsefire

Salam Shalom Salom
Registered Senior Member
People often cannot understand the difference between the two. Before I continue, let me clarify a few things:

1) I am not referring to Creationism when I say "Creator"; I am referring to the origins of the entire universe.
2) I am not suggesting, in any way, any further than the original concept of a creator

Now, the thing you must understand is the value of evidence and logics. You can go a certain distance on logic alone; although there is no objective evidence that our universe was created, it is not an illogical idea to theorize that it was. The reason being?

Everything happens or occurs, can do so only in two possible ways (this is an observable fact)

1) It is caused to happen or occur
2) It happens or occurs entirely independent of "influence"

For instance, let's say there is a mountain. An earthquake occurs (a natural occurance) and causes an avalanche.

This is different than if Humans specifically detonate explosives with the intent of starting an avalanche.

The reason this is relevant is because it displays my point, which is that all which happens is either caused to be intentionally, or it happens on its own. Hopefully you understand what I am saying here.

If we are questioning the origins of the universe, it is not illogical to theorize it was created. There is no reason to believe that, but it is an open possibility and, as of now, we cannot determine probability. i.e, it isn't a ridiculous concept that our universe was created.

As to this point, the concept is not ridiculous because it relies on logics. Remember, we are not actually specifying anything, but we are trying to be as basic as possible. The simple notion of a creator is not illogical or ridiculous, yet, because the concept relies on logics.

The point where it becomes religion is where it becomes ridiculous. Firstly, allow me to clarify that when I used "creator", I was not referring to any particular deity, deities, etc, primarily because all of those are products of religion.

"Creator" only means the force of creation; it could be one creator or more, it could be a He, a She, an It, or something else entirely. I am NOT claiming anything beyond the notion of a Creator.

At the point where religions give faces and details to these creators, logic fails.

Let me clarify: at the basic concept, we can come to the conclusion based on logic and possibility. However, if you make further claims you NEED evidence, because logic can't carry you further.

We can use logics to suppose a creator, but we cannot to suppose anything further. Therefore, religion and concept are different.

As I have already explained, we can take the concept of a creator and call it, at best, " a logical possibility". If, however, we are then to state "this creator is blue, he has three heads, he lives in a palace, he does this and that"

The problem created is that logic won't carry you further, and you NEED evidence at this point because you are making claims, not only suppositions, and these claims are not based on either logic or evidence.

Therefore, religion becomes impractical because the claims it makes are unreasonable, both logically and based on evidence. The reason I do not believe you can say the concept is unreasonable is because it remains a logical possibility, based on what we can observe about intent and natural cause. Please, please understand this.

It is when you make claims as to the nature of said "creator", that logic fails. Nothing in the universe can make me come to the conclusion that there is a blue creator with three heads that lives in a palace. In truth, nothing in the universe can even make me come to the conclusion that there is a creator. However, at the basic concept, I can suppose a creator (again, only by that I mean a force of creation) and it wouldn't be ridiculous or illogical.

Now, to me, the universe having begun naturally and having been caused to be are, more or less, equal chances, both because logic supports both and evidence supports neither. I have already explain what I have observed about forces of change, or causation.

Religion, by making specifications, demands evidence, because logic only goes so far. That is the difference between religion and concept.

Now, if you do indeed find even the concept of a creator (force of creation, it could be one, two, or who knows what, I'm not making claims as to the nature), why is that?

That is why I think the notion of a creator remains a "logical possibility" that is not that ridiculous. It's not logical to assume a creator, but it's not illogical or ridiculous to suppose a creator, based off what we know, can observe, and can logically and rationally come to conclusions.

Last edited:
Everything happens or occurs, can do so only in two possible ways (this is an observable fact)

1) It is caused to happen or occur
2) It happens or occurs entirely independent of "influence"
Then what of the existence of the imagined creator? How did it come to be? Was it caused or did it occur naturally?

~Raithere

Then what of the existence of the imagined creator? How did it come to be? Was it caused or did it occur naturally?

~Raithere

A good question, but it does not detract from the concept in any way, because the question is about the origins of our own universe. In my opinion, if there are multiverses, it's logical to suppose that universes are both created and come to be naturally. The question is of our universe.

A good question, but it does not detract from the concept in any way, because the question is about the origins of our own universe. In my opinion, if there are multiverses, it's logical to suppose that universes are both created and come to be naturally. The question is of our universe.
Actually, it does. Because even if we assume our universe was created by a being in another universe the explanation of origin is still ultimately a naturalistic one, not a supernatural one. I can intentionally create a fire but I can only do so using the natural laws of our universe. My intent and the actions I performed to do so is pretty much irrelevant to the explanation of fire.

~Raithere

Actually, it does. Because even if we assume our universe was created by a being in another universe the explanation of origin is still ultimately a naturalistic one, not a supernatural one. I can intentionally create a fire but I can only do so using the natural laws of our universe. My intent and the actions I performed to do so is pretty much irrelevant to the explanation of fire.

~Raithere

You're assuming nature is the default.

In practical terms, it is relevant as to how the fire came to be.

If nature is default, then shouldn't chaos be the rule? No formal natural laws. No gravity. No Infinitely dense ball of matter/energy condensed into one infinitely small point. No Hydrogen atoms drawn to oxygen atoms to make water. The list goes on.

If nature is default, then shouldn't chaos be the rule? No formal natural laws. No gravity.

Pi (3.1415..) is chaos. it has no order. but because that pi is an infinite chaos, there will eventually be perfect order there, like 11111111111 and 2222222. chaos must include order, otherwise it wouldn't be chaos.

Pi (3.1415..) is chaos. it has no order. but because that pi is an infinite chaos, there will eventually be perfect order there, like 11111111111 and 2222222. chaos must include order, otherwise it wouldn't be chaos.

:bugeye:

Main Entry: cha·os
Pronunciation: \ˈkā-ˌäs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek — more at gum
Date: 15th century
1obsolete : chasm, abyss
2 aoften capitalized : a state of things in which chance is supreme; especially : the confused unorganized state of primordial matter before the creation of distinct forms — compare cosmos b: the inherent unpredictability in the behavior of a complex natural system (as the atmosphere, boiling water, or the beating heart)
3 a: a state of utter confusion <the blackout caused chaos throughout the city> b: a confused mass or mixture <a chaos of television antennas>
— Merriam-Webster

what?

A creator had to be created somehow. Unless you are going to propose that someone can create themselves, we have to assume that there is a natural creation at some point.

In my opinion, if there are multiverses, it's logical to suppose that universes are both created and come to be naturally.
Why?

Last edited:
From this I gather that you're not merely positing an intentional creative force but, in fact, a supernatural existence? My argument against that is the same as for the idea of god. As there is no evidence to support it, there is no reason to believe in it. As to nature, well, one can simply open one's eyes.

In practical terms, it is relevant as to how the fire came to be.
Since I am part of the natural world, it once again comes down to a naturalistic explanation. It's just a bit more complicated that way and doesn't really help us understand fire any better.

If nature is default, then shouldn't chaos be the rule? No formal natural laws. No gravity. No Infinitely dense ball of matter/energy condensed into one infinitely small point. No Hydrogen atoms drawn to oxygen atoms to make water. The list goes on.
While I understand its origin, I'm always curious to find this belief prevalent today. As humans have explored nature and furthered our understanding of it to ever greater depths we consistently find that nature is explicable and predictable. Even the most astonishing phenomena, some which we can barely grasp conceptually, give way and resolve into consistent principles. Each step has revealed only that the universe is inherently ordered down to the fabric of existence itself which, while chaotic, resolves itself probabilistically into the reliable behavior we commonly take for granted. Why then this insistence order must be imposed from without when all we ever observe is that it arises naturally from within?

What he's saying is that an infinite random series contains every possible finite series. Thus, an infinite chaotic universe would contain all possible finite sub-universes, including ours (presuming it is finite), merely out of infinite chaos. In which case, order is merely accidentally apparent not actual.

~Raithere

A creator had to be created somehow. Unless you are going to propose that someone can create themselves, we have to assume that there is a natural creation at some point.
However this doesn't exclude the possibility of our universe having been created, nor does it exclude the possibility of creation. Besides, as I said, I believe it might be a cycle.

Infinite universes means infinite possibilities. Let's say a universe develops naturally; intelligent life, billions of years later, develops on a planet in that universe. It grows, expands, and increases capability. Then that intelligent life creates a universe, somehow and the process can be repeated.

At least, has my OP clarified to you why the notion of a creator is not illogical? Although there is no evidence to prove it or point to it, there is logics at hand to suppose it without it being a ridiculous idea.

From this I gather that you're not merely positing an intentional creative force but, in fact, a supernatural existence? My argument against that is the same as for the idea of god. As there is no evidence to support it, there is no reason to believe in it. As to nature, well, one can simply open one's eyes.
Supernatural and natural, I believe, would just be different "layers" of the same nature; or, different natures. And also, again, you are right that there is no reason to believe that our universe was created. However, as I have also said, it still remans a logical possibility that we shouldn't exclude, for one reason because it isn't that ridiculous of a notion and could be true, and for the other, when we are dealing with the origins of the universe, because of the supreme lack of understanding and evidence, both creation and natural beginning remain the main logical possibilities.

Since I am part of the natural world, it once again comes down to a naturalistic explanation. It's just a bit more complicated that way and doesn't really help us understand fire any better.
I understand what you are saying; you would still be acting according to nature's laws. However, in the sense of why the fire began, it does matter as to whether or not it was started intentionally, or nonintentionally. This is also my stance on the universe: it's not illogical to suppose that our universe was intentionally created.

The point where it becomes religion is where it becomes ridiculous.

This is my mantra. I've repeatedly said that if you want to believe in a god or not then that is fine. The trick is to leave it at that.

If you believe in philosophizing on religion, teaching religion, learning religion or living your life according to a religion then you have made an enormously bad life decision.

Simply put, the atheist sees no evidence for a god. Therefore there is no reason to believe. As an atheist I know I cannot totally dismiss God anymore than I can dismiss the notion we exist at the bottom of an enormous alien latrine.

The theist also is dealing with the same lack of evidence. So what factor sways belief? I think it all comes down to the notion that something caused the universe to happen. The cause becomes personified when one is unable to grasp the concept of an all-natural creation. If an atheist cannot entirely dismiss the idea of a god then a theist should at least be able to say that there's the possibility their god does not exist.

Simply put, the atheist sees no evidence for a god. Therefore there is no reason to believe. As an atheist I know I cannot totally dismiss God anymore than I can dismiss the notion we exist at the bottom of an enormous alien latrine.
You're specifically conveying that you believe the notion of a creator is ridiculous. It's not. What is so ridiculous about it? It remains a logical possibility that makes sense in principle.

Also, didn't you understand the difference between the concept of a creator and the specification of God?

The theist also is dealing with the same lack of evidence. So what factor sways belief? I think it all comes down to the notion that something caused the universe to happen. The cause becomes personified when one is unable to grasp the concept of an all-natural creation. If an atheist cannot entirely dismiss the idea of a god then a theist should at least be able to say that there's the possibility their god does not exist.

Atheists and theists can't; agnostics can.

However this doesn't exclude the possibility of our universe having been created, nor does it exclude the possibility of creation. Besides, as I said, I believe it might be a cycle.
No but if we follow that logic, there must have been a natural creation somewhere. There did not have to be an intelligent creator though. So we know that a natural creation has happened but we have no evidence for an intelligent one. Wouldn’t that make nature more likely or perhaps even the default?

Infinite universes means infinite possibilities. Let's say a universe develops naturally; intelligent life, billions of years later, develops on a planet in that universe. It grows, expands, and increases capability. Then that intelligent life creates a universe, somehow and the process can be repeated.
I don't think that answers question though. If there are multiple universes, and that is a big if, you still have no evidence to suggest that entities are making them. I am not claiming how they are created. It is completely unknown. You however are making some assumptions as to how they came to be. I think you transpose logical and possible sometimes.

At least, has my OP clarified to you why the notion of a creator is not illogical? Although there is no evidence to prove it or point to it, there is logics at hand to suppose it without it being a ridiculous idea.
Like here. You think it is logical because it is possible. Lot's of things are possible. As I have stated before, it was logical to the Norse that Thor created the thunder and to the Egyptians that Ra was the sun. They had no evidence at hand as well. There weren't right.

Now I know you aren't talking about Yahweh. They are merely examples.

No but if we follow that logic, there must have been a natural creation somewhere. There did not have to be an intelligent creator though. So we know that a natural creation has happened but we have no evidence for an intelligent one. Wouldn’t that make nature more likely or perhaps even the default?
Even natural creation becomes absurd; the only logical stance is an illogical stance: that everything always was.

I don't think that answers question though. If there are multiple universes, and that is a big if, you still have no evidence to suggest that entities are making them. I am not claiming how they are created. It is completely unknown. You however are making some assumptions as to how they came to be. I think you transpose logical and possible sometimes.
If you have infinite universes, everything that can exist, will exist, and everything can exist, so everything does exist, including creators.

I think eventually we Humans will create universes. Does that make us gods?

Like here. You think it is logical because it is possible. Lot's of things are possible. As I have stated before, it was logical to the Norse that Thor created the thunder and to the Egyptians that Ra was the sun. They had no evidence at hand as well. There weren't right.

Now I know you aren't talking about Yahweh. They are merely examples.
I don't say it's logical only because it's possible; it's possible that little invisible fairies carry raindrops to the ground. I don't find this idea logical however.

I find it logical because it's not an unreasonable concept. What, to you, makes the concept of a creator, which isn't that ridiculous a concept, it has a very real possibility, comparable to Thor?

Even natural creation becomes absurd; the only logical stance is an illogical stance: that everything always was.
Why is natural creation absurd? The answer could lie in something like quantum fluctuations. Just because it is hard for our minds to picture doesn’t mean it can’t happen. The only logical stance being an illogical one is a little nonsensical.

Why are you proposing a creator in all these threads if you think everything always existing is a better answer?

If you have infinite universes, everything that can exist, will exist, and everything can exist, so everything does exist, including creators.
Do parallel universes mean that every possibility must exist?

I think eventually we Humans will create universes. Does that make us gods?
I will answer that one when it happens.

I don't say it's logical only because it's possible; it's possible that little invisible fairies carry raindrops to the ground. I don't find this idea logical however.

I find it logical because it's not an unreasonable concept. What, to you, makes the concept of a creator, which isn't that ridiculous a concept, it has a very real possibility, comparable to Thor?
Because the Vikings thought it was reasonable, logical and possible. You are following the same thinking which they did. You have ruled out natural creation as illogical and are proposing intelligent creation on the basis that it seems more reasonable to you. The example is not intended to mock your proposition but to show you that this is not a very reliable way to approach the unknown. The answer is unknown until we have some evidence.

Why is natural creation absurd? The answer could lie in something like quantum fluctuations. Just because it is hard for our minds to picture doesn’t mean it can’t happen. The only logical stance being an illogical one is a little nonsensical.
I don't think it's absurd, but I don't think it's less absurd than ID.

Something having always existed is illogical, to me.

Do parallel universes mean that every possibility must exist?
Infinite parallel universes means infinite possibilities.

I will answer that one when it happens.
Pretend it just happend. I am just curious to see your answer.

Because the Vikings thought it was reasonable, logical and possible. You are following the same thinking which they did. You have ruled out natural creation as illogical and are proposing intelligent creation on the basis that it seems more reasonable to you. The example is not intended to mock your proposition but to show you that this is not a very reliable way to approach the unknown. The answer is unknown until we have some evidence.

No, I am not. The Vikings attributed specifics. Them suggesting higher forces is not unreasonable. However, when they start specifying the nature and identity and all of this, it becomes unreasonable because we can't make such assumptions. The only reason we can even suppose higher forces is becuse they can logically make sense.

~Raithere
that's because you naturally have no scope for creating anything using nothing but your own potency.

The whole argument about god is that he operates out of a different capacity than what you are familiar with by dint of your own experience.

(IOW the only way you can argue against it is to corrupt the original definition of god)

You're specifically conveying that you believe the notion of a creator is ridiculous. It's not. What is so ridiculous about it? It remains a logical possibility that makes sense in principle.

I'm saying that as an atheist I agree that there is a possibility of a god since I simply cannot prove my stance. But because I have seen nothing concrete that proves God exists or that I may have to rely on the supernatural of which again there is nothing concrete, I am forced to conclude God does not exist despite the one chance in infinity that He might..

I don't think it's absurd, but I don't think it's less absurd than ID. Something having always existed is illogical, to me.
So do you think all the options are either illogical or absurd?

Pretend it just happend. I am just curious to see your answer.
If intelligent life formed in a universe we created then we would probably be gods to them.

No, I am not. The Vikings attributed specifics.
The specifics were most likely added over time. In the beginning they were doing the same thing that you are doing. We don’t know how something happened so a higher entity might be responsible. Lightning would have appeared to be fairly special stuff that was out of the realm of nature. It seemed perfectly reasonable and logical to them that there is a god making it and thunder because how else would it be created? There were noises and flashes in the clouds and there was no evidence either way.. So it seemed logical and reasonable.

Them suggesting higher forces is not unreasonable.
But it was clearly incorrect wasn’t it? You are doing the same thing. Perhaps you should look to their example of fallacious thinking.

However, when they start specifying the nature and identity and all of this, it becomes unreasonable because we can't make such assumptions. The only reason we can even suppose higher forces is becuse they can logically make sense.
It may make sense to you but there is absolutely no reason to suppose a higher force at this stage. Doing so in the past has always been wrong. Stop making the same mistake.

Back