Recipes for bioterror: censoring science

Adam

§Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥
Registered Senior Member
Several months before 11 September, Australian scientists published a paper describing how they had unintentionally created a "supervirus" that, instead of sterilising mice as intended, killed every last one. Could this information help someone to create a human supervirus in the same way?

More...

Unfortunately this is one of the problems with technology. Science can be used for both good and evil. I disagree with trying to censor science since this will slow progress rather then thort terrorist. Maybe we should have not developed the airplane because it could be used as a weapon rather then a form of mass transport?

Unfortunately this is one of the problems with technology. Science can be used for both good and evil. I disagree with trying to censor science since this will slow progress rather then thort terrorist. Maybe we should have not developed the airplane because it could be used as a weapon rather then a form of mass transport?
We do search people before they get on the plane to try to keep it from happening.

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
science didn't develop the airplane, engineers did

that why I refered to this as a problem of technology not science see:

Originally posted by WellCookedFetus
Unfortunately this is one of the problems with technology.

the concept that lift is produced by a wing was developed by a scientist... who most likely did not mean for people to try and fly.

that why I refered to this as a problem of technology not science see:

sorry, forgot to read your post carefully. my mistake

the concept that lift is produced by a wing was developed by a scientist... who most likely did not mean for people to try and fly.

indeed, and there even seems to be some controversy about the theory of lift. What if we got it wrong then, will planes suddenly fall out of the sky now.

Back