Questions about Insulin's Actions?

Kumar

Registered Senior Member
Hello,

Following are the indicated actions of Insulin:-

Actions on cellular and metabolic level
The actions of insulin on the global human metabolism level include:

*Control of cellular intake of certain substances, most prominently glucose in muscle and adipose tissue (about 2/3 of body cells).
*Increase of DNA replication and protein synthesis via control of amino acid uptake.
*Modification of the activity of numerous enzymes (allosteric effect).

The actions of insulin on cells include:

*Increased glycogen synthesis – insulin forces storage of glucose in liver (and muscle) cells in the form of glycogen; lowered levels of insulin cause liver cells to convert glycogen to glucose and excrete it into the blood. This is the clinical action of insulin which is useful in reducing high blood glucose levels as in diabetes.
*Increased fatty acid synthesis – insulin forces fat cells to take in glucose which is converted to triglycerides; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
*Increased esterification of fatty acids – forces adipose tissue to make fats (ie, triglycerides) from fatty acid esters; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
*Decreased proteinolysis – forces reduction of protein degradation; lack of insulin increases protein degradation.
*Decreased lipolysis – forces reduction in conversion of fat cell lipid stores into blood fatty acids; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
*Decreased gluconeogenesis – decreases production of glucose from various substrates in liver; lack of insulin causes glucose production from assorted substrates in the liver and elsewhere.
*Increased amino acid uptake – forces cells to absorb circulating amino acids; lack of insulin inhibits absorption.

*Increased potassium uptake – forces cells to absorb serum potassium; lack of insulin inhibits absorption.
*Arterial muscle tone – forces arterial wall muscle to relax, increasing blood flow, especially in micro arteries; lack of insulin reduces flow by allowing these muscles to contract.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin

"Higher insulin levels increase many anabolic ("building up") processes such as cell growth, cellular protein synthesis, and fat storage. Insulin is the principal signal in converting many of the bidirectional processes of metabolism from a catabolic to an anabolic direction."

It is also indicative that diabetis type2 patients with insulin resistance may be occasionally exposed to more and more insulin than people in normal health. I therefore want to understand, how such more insulin (natural or medicated) can effect to diabetic2 people. So I have few questions:-

1. Whether diabetic2 patients with IR are exposed to more insulin than normal insulin in healthy people or not?

2. Can such more insulin encourage more stores of glucose, lipids and protiens either by encouraging more intake, more anabolism or less catabolism/excretion/use?

3. What more insulin can result into by its one indicated action of "Increase of DNA replication" in long term?

4. How more insulin can effect advesely by its one action i.e. "Increased potassium uptake" ?

5."Arterial muscle tone – forces arterial wall muscle to relax, increasing blood flow, especially in micro arteries; lack of insulin reduces flow by allowing these muscles to contract"
This is very important action but under study. If this action is correct;

How more insulin can effect advesely by this action(may be more relaxed condition of Arterial muscle tone)?

6. In view of Q:5, Pls tell, which bio-substance out of Glucose, lipids, amino-acids, Ca, K, Na, Mg, Fe, Silicon, Cl, F and S causes contractions and relaxations in muscles and which can accumulate in excess?

Best wishes.

Last edited:
With your numerous specific and detailed questions, I think your time would be much better spent going to a library and choosing an appropriate textbook(s).

Yes, the above quote is from some referance but we may not get reply of questions in books, so trying to check here. All questions may be inter-related to one aspect, however one may reply just one or few questions as he feel comfortable.

Last edited:
Hi, I'll try to answer some of these questions, but please don't take me too seriously, I'm answering them mainly based on analysis instead of fact. So my answers are pretty much theoretical. Still, as the people before me advised, get a good source. These are just my ideas on your questions, there is a very good chance that I'm wrong (im just a student by the way)

Kumar said:
Hello,

Following are the indicated actions of Insulin:-

It is also indicative that diabetis type2 patients with insulin resistance may be occasionally exposed to more and more insulin than people in normal health. I therefore want to understand, how such more insulin (natural or medicated) can effect to diabetic2 people. So I have few questions:-

1. Whether diabetic2 patients with IR are exposed to more insulin than normal insulin in healthy people or not? (type 2 diabetes is characterized by normal insulin production by the body, but the cells' receptors aren't working properly so diabetes mellitus occurs. so yeah, type2 people who take insulin probably do have higher levels than normal, if they take insulin injections.

type1 people on the other hand, have problems with their insulin levels because the insulin-producing cells are not functioning well or not functioning at all. i think these are the types of people who REALLY need the insulin injections. Type2 people could probably just work it out by getting a healthy diet.)

2. Can such more insulin encourage more stores of glucose, lipids and protiens either by encouraging more intake, more anabolism or less catabolism/excretion/use? (this is something i can't be sure of--more insulin may not help because the diabetes is due to cell receptor inefficiency and not because there isn;t enough insulin in the body. but then again, i can be wrong. im no doctor here.)

3. What more insulin can result into by its one indicated action of "Increase of DNA replication" in long term? (I think this increase in dna replication has something to do with the cells affected by insulin levels)

4. How more insulin can effect advesely by its one action i.e. "Increased potassium uptake" ?

5."Arterial muscle tone – forces arterial wall muscle to relax, increasing blood flow, especially in micro arteries; lack of insulin reduces flow by allowing these muscles to contract"
How more insulin can effect advesely by this action(may be more relaxed condition of Arterial muscle tone)?

6. In view of Q:5, Pls tell, which bio-substance out of Glucose, lipids, amino-acids, Ca, K, Na, Mg, Fe, Silicon, Cl, F and S causes contractions and relaxations in muscles and which can accumulate in excess? (we recently did an experiment on this, and we found out that calcium can encourage muscle contractions and potassium relaxes them. sodium ions are capable of interfering with calcium ions, tho im not sure if they encourage muscle contraction or relaxation. the other ions--i dunno, sorry)

Best wishes.

Good luck researching.

riffyraine said:
Hi, I'll try to answer some of these questions, but please don't take me too seriously, I'm answering them mainly based on analysis instead of fact. So my answers are pretty much theoretical. Still, as the people before me advised, get a good source. These are just my ideas on your questions, there is a very good chance that I'm wrong (im just a student by the way)

. How more insulin can effect advesely by its one action i.e. "Increased potassium uptake" ?

Good luck researching.

Thanks. It looks that excess glucose and other nutrients may act as vasoconstrictors and insulin as vasodilator directly or indirectly....naturally.

Glucose and insulin may be more exposed to target cells in diabetc type2 patients. Whether excess glucose, fats can be toxic to target cells, if yes, what body does to avoid it?

What "more relaxed condition of Arterial muscle tone", if can be mediated by more insulin, can cause?

Pls also refer my topic "Can it be possible" in this forum.

Back