Question:

whitewolf

asleep under the juniper bush
Registered Senior Member
What's the difference between Environmental science and Biology, specifically when describing High School curriculum? Thanx.

would environmental science be ecology? It could be geology for all I know, what the description on environmental science class your school has?

my guess would be this:

biology: the study of organisms
environmental science: the study of how organisms and their living and non-living environment interact.

But wellcooked is right, it depends on your school, really.

It's not in my school, I finished school a long time ago. If anyone heard of Kingsborough HS?... Its really for my job, I have to tutor a girl that's starting to go there this year. So I have absolutely no clue, and neither does she...

environmental science is usually a general term for ecology and other earth fields. it is an applied science looking at a system as a whole. biology is a reductionist science.

Biology: The science of life and of living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, and distribution.

Environmental science: The study of environmental systems (water-ways, soils etc) in relation to the functioning of living organisms and interaction between populations.

That is the idea I have anyway.

Thank you!
why would they need to spend the whole year learning ecosystems? I took a course of that for half of semester (extra class), and that seemed fairly enough. Weird schools. I thought bio was required, no? If I could have taken that instead of bio I'd be so much happier as a freshman.

Back