Question: Does this mean....

Tyrell

Registered Senior Member
I was looking for one specific verse within the bible to reference in a debate, when I came across this passage. What I get out of it basically discredits the workings of the Christian religion, and the insistances made by them. Pretty much I see that you can't be taught by anyone, that you already know all you need to, and since we all know we will all be forgiven. Of course, that is just the way I take this passage, I am sure some of you will see it differently. I was wondering what others got out of it.

Hebrews
10This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."

i'm pretty sure you won't get any replies with any decent answers unless you've taken that completely out of context (but it would seen that you haven't, that was pretty self-contained).

I think it means only about the lord not like Math and science just that we wont have too learn from people about the christian god and in a way its true most people know who he is even if they are not into this religion.

pacingyourname i disagree, i didn't know about god until i was twelve and was unfortunately rudely awoken to the fact that i should now and should be a part of it, seeing it's values were so synonmous with my character. i reckon if you were to get a baby of good intelligence and bring him or her up completely ignorant of the concept of god he would not know about him. if you take that passage literally (the only way you can e sure you a right when quoting the bible) then it would seem to discredit christianity some.

Moderator edit: Long cut-and-paste removed.

If you have a point to make, please make it. Don't copy the entire bible to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by okinrus
Your only teacher is Jesus, but this doesn't mean that someone cannot teach you about him.

That argument makes absolutely no sense. Either you have one teacher or you don't. First you claim there is only one teacher, then by your definition you say that you can be taught by anyone. The way the passage in Hebrews states, you don't need one. It was that particular passage and it's meaning I was after, not a convoluted explanation and contradiction of the material. Not to mention, after reading that whole long list of junk you tacked onto your opinion twice, I have still yet to find any relevance to the topic at hand. While I appreciate what you are trying to do with the showing of context, could you either be a bit more concise, or bold your big points so they are a bit easier to decipher? Thanks.

John 13:13 "You call me 'teacher' and 'master,' and rightly so, for indeed I am. " Jesus said no one is to be called teacher except for God alone.

From http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a3.htm
"37 The Lord, having loved those who were his own, loved them to the end. Knowing that the hour had come to leave this world and return to the Father, in the course of a meal he washed their feet and gave them the commandment of love.163 In order to leave them a pledge of this love, in order never to depart from his own and to make them sharers in his Passover, he instituted the Eucharist as the memorial of his death and Resurrection, and commanded his apostles to celebrate it until his return; "thereby he constituted them priests of the New Testament."164

1338 The three synoptic Gospels and St. Paul have handed on to us the account of the institution of the Eucharist; St. John, for his part, reports the words of Jesus in the synagogue of Capernaum that prepare for the institution of the Eucharist: Christ calls himself the bread of life, come down from heaven.165

1339 Jesus chose the time of Passover to fulfill what he had announced at Capernaum: giving his disciples his Body and his Blood:

Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the passover lamb had to be sacrificed. So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the passover meal for us, that we may eat it. . . ." They went . . . and prepared the passover. And when the hour came, he sat at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer; for I tell you I shall not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.". . . . And he took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." And likewise the cup after supper, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the New Covenant in my blood."166
1340 By celebrating the Last Supper with his apostles in the course of the Passover meal, Jesus gave the Jewish Passover its definitive meaning. Jesus' passing over to his father by his death and Resurrection, the new Passover, is anticipated in the Supper and celebrated in the Eucharist, which fulfills the Jewish Passover and anticipates the final Passover of the Church in the glory of the kingdom. "

Another possibility is that it refers to the promise of the new covenant. Revelation 22:4 "They will look upon his face and his name will be on their foreheads."

I dont think that the passage means NOW, i'm pretty sure it means in the future and that someday everyone on earth will have heard about God.

Back