Quaker Creed

Bishadi

Banned
Banned
The lack of a creed or clear description of Quaker beliefs has
sometimes led to the misconception that Friends do not have beliefs or that one can believe anything and be a Friend. Most Quakers take the absence of a creed as an invitation and encouragement to exercise an extra measure of personal responsibility for the understanding and articulation of Quaker faith. Rather than rely on priests or professional theologians, each believer is encouraged to take seriously the personal disciplines associated with spiritual growth. Out of lives of reflection, prayer, faithfulness, and service flow the statements of belief, both in word and in deed.

anyone read about the Fox?

In 1647 Englishman George Fox began speaking in England against formalized religion, advocating direction by one's own "inner light." Although imprisoned repeatedly for his beliefs, Fox went on to found the Society of Friends, or Quakers, according to his ideals

cool

From its inception, however, it has offered both a critique of many accepted manifestations of Christianity and empathy with people of faith beyond the bounds of Christianity. Some Friends have placed particular emphasis on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, while others have found a more compelling universal perspective emphasizing the Divine Light enlightening every person. One of the lessons of our own history as a religious movement is that an excessive reliance on one or the other of these perspectives, neglecting the essential connection between the two, has been needlessly divisive and has drawn us away from the vitality of the Quaker vision at is best.

The concern of Friends is not that members affirm a particular verbal formulation of this faith but that it be instead a living and transforming power within their lives. Challenged by the words of Jesus as quoted in Matthew 7-21 – "It is not those who say to me ‘Lord, Lord,’ who will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but those who do the will of my Father in heaven" – we do not place emphasis on the naming of God.

the naming of God?!?!?

who would do such a thing?

Anyone familiar with this group?

Quakers are pretty cool for xtians. Pacifists and usually politically active for good causes.

There was a big group of them near where I grew up - Friendswood.

Thanks for the 'good'

any can tell i am not a sect seeker nor is anything i suggest bound to a belief

this thread was to explor this group being as unique as they represent.

see this in their "Advices and Queries" http://home.earthlink.net/~imym-faith-and-practice/id39.html

Which Friends in service to the Society, in their respective regions, departed this life since the last Yearly Meeting?

Which Friends, imprisoned on account of their testimony, died in prison since the last Yearly Meeting?

How, among Friends, did Truth advance since last Yearly Meeting and how do they fare in relation to peace and unity?

By 1700, Friends had begun the practice of preparing written responses to these questions. The focused questions, now called queries, were expanded and designed to ensure consistency of conduct among Friends as well as to obtain information about the state of the Society. The first general advices were adopted in 1791; periodic revisions were made thereafter by the various yearly meetings.

seems each are 'contributers' by the nature of their ideology

almost like self-imposing responsibility

(see how unique it is?)

Back