Purge.

Saturnine Pariah

Hell is other people
Valued Senior Member
[video=youtube;K0LLaybEuzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA[/video]
Given the country's overcrowded prisons, the U.S. government begins to allow 12-hour periods of time in which all illegal activity is legal. During one of these free-for-alls, a family must protect themselves from a home invasion.
This is the plot for a new movie that is currenlty being developed. The tralier rasied some rather interesting questions for me as i viewed it.

1. Would anyone here participate in the “Purge”
2. Would any society allow for a system similar to that in the “Purge” if the benefits of a controlled period of anarchy can create a better society when the dust has settled?
3. If a victim of the “purge” came running to your door, would you help them or let them die knowing that their death may be for the greater good?
The biggest question that I asked myself when addressed with this issue is. Whether or not saving one could condemn other countless lives?
The other implication present is the neo-Darwinian approach to the problems of a society via violent and animalistic behavior. The violent and deranged members kill each other off each year during the purge, leaving at least in the universe of the film a far more peaceful and prosperous society. Then again the innocence members of society are also killed or they kill in self defense. It’s a sick-twisted period of self-policing and survival that in a macabre way allows the venting of bottle up raged.
:shrug:

Given the country's overcrowded prisons, the U.S. government begins to allow 12-hour periods of time in which all illegal activity is legal. During one of these free-for-alls, a family must protect themselves from a home invasion.
This is the plot for a new movie that is currenlty being developed. The tralier rasied some rather interesting questions for me as i viewed it.

1. Would anyone here participate in the “Purge”
2. Would any society allow for a system similar to that in the “Purge” if the benefits of a controlled period of anarchy can create a better society when the dust has settled?
3. If a victim of the “purge” came running to your door, would you help them or let them die knowing that their death may be for the greater good?
The biggest question that I asked myself when addressed with this issue is. Whether or not saving one could condemn other countless lives?
The other implication present is the neo-Darwinian approach to the problems of a society via violent and animalistic behavior. The violent and deranged members kill each other off each year during the purge, leaving at least in the universe of the film a far more peaceful and prosperous society. Then again the innocence members of society are also killed or they kill in self defense. It’s a sick-twisted period of self-policing and survival that in a macabre way allows the venting of bottle up raged.
:shrug:

1) No, not unless my life or health depended on it.
2) I don't thinnk so. It's too risky to the state of the nation.
3) I don't see how it could possible be for the greater good. I'd help them.

This type of movie, while fiction, gives SOME people ideas that aren't very good. I really do not like these types of movies myself and never view them. I try to only support movies that are somehow positive, uplifting or documentaries and a few others.

This movie along with Django Unchained and couple of others should not be shown and should not be legal.

If no action will be taken, than you people of America will have a further escalation of mass murders just like the one in Colorado, Oregon, Connecticut...and turn on the news, right now in Texas.

You want freedom? You got it. ...with blood.

This movie along with Django Unchained and couple of others should not be shown and should not be legal.

If no action will be taken, than you people of America will have a further escalation of mass murders just like the one in Colorado, Oregon, Connecticut...and turn on the news, right now in Texas.

You want freedom? You got it. ...with blood.
WTF are you talking about?

You are saying that fiction kills people.

I am saying that people who watch these kind of films and not just any "fiction" are prone to think that violence is acceptable. A normal person would simply black out such thoughts, however many already disturbed people are pushed over the edge to act upon the events depicted in films like the "Purge".

If my words are hard to understand, than the point I am trying to get across can be understood through the remarks of some of the actors due to the recent film like Django Unchained:

Mamie Gummer: "creepy fetishing of violence" link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ng-of-violence-says-actress-Mamie-Gummer.html

Spike Lee: "talk about guns and gun control, that movie - people should watch that," link: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00058228.html

and you know what the lead of the film De Caprio said about a film like this? "Pain is temporary, film is forever".

Meaning this pain can be relieved many times over as many times as one wants by watching such a film.

I am saying that people who watch these kind of films and not just any "fiction" are prone to think that violence is acceptable. A normal person would simply black out such thoughts, however many already disturbed people are pushed over the edge to act upon the events depicted in films like the "Purge".

If my words are hard to understand, than the point I am trying to get across can be understood through the remarks of some of the actors due to the recent film like Django Unchained:

Mamie Gummer: "creepy fetishing of violence" link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ng-of-violence-says-actress-Mamie-Gummer.html

Spike Lee: "talk about guns and gun control, that movie - people should watch that," link: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00058228.html

and you know what the lead of the film De Caprio said about a film like this? "Pain is temporary, film is forever".

Meaning this pain can be relieved many times over as many times as one wants by watching such a film.

Or remembering, you know, actual accounts of slavery or war.

It sounds like what you are saying is that people who were disturbed in the first place are unbalanced by frank depictions of violence, and that's probably correct, but so what? We can't run our society based on what a few disturbed people will think.

Back