Punishment Fit The Crime?

goofyfish

Analog By Birth, Digital By Design
Valued Senior Member
A son kills the man who raped his mother.

Bick, from Newport, Shropshire, was 16 when he discovered... Duffet had attacked... Yvonne, 48, after threatening her with a wrench...

Angry and confused, the teenager vowed revenge... (Full text here)

Ignoring the obvious slant of the article, and focusing strictly on the crime and the punishment, is his sentence appropriate, too light, or too harsh? Do you give more weight to the legal or the moral side of the question? Legally, I think he needed to be punished because we can't have people running around claiming vigilante justice all the time. I understand perfectly well why the young man did what he did, and I'd be tempted to do the same in similar circumstances. Most people probably feel the same.

That's precisely why he has to be punished.

:m: Peace.

Three years should act as a strong deterrent but it would not stop me. I agree that vigilante justice has to be curbed or it will result in a breakdown in society.

His punishment was not reduced because of the rape - as he did not actually *kill* the man, he commited manslaughter and not murder, hence he recieved a lighter sentance.

I think that in the US, the motive of revenge is actually considered an aggravating circumstance when it comes to sentencing.

In any case, the sentence seems appropriate. The young man is punished yet not destroyed. He can finish his A-levels and whatnot, and is young enough to pick up and move on with life. The State shows its authority and murder is not treated with leniancy - yeah, good call.

So, the part that no one seems to pick up on...

The deceased was accused of being a rapist, not convicted. What if the mother lied to her son? Do you think there might be the tiniest possibility that the son then lied about the guy boasting about it? If someone comes up to you with a weapon, accusing you of some awful crime, wouldn't your first instinct be to deny it, not brag about it?

:m: Peace.

no my first instinct would be to draw my own weapon in defense but I am still a commissioned officer in the state of Missouri.

but there is a alot of these types of cases going around like the man that got 16 months for killing his wife and the man he caught her having sex with, it was ruled a crime of passion and the man only got 16 months for a double murder.

as in this case, I agree the boy should be punished and his punishment was fair even though he will be out before his time is up.

as for him being accused and not convicted it really doesn't matter to people in there eyes at the time the crime is being commited people think and do and act as they please and pay for it later. But if it was me yes I would be tempted to do the same but I would do it after I went through the legal system and seen what they would do there. But then again with our legal system if the man was quilty he got what he deserved.

Back