Pulmonary Interstitial Fibrosis(Lung Disease)

This seems to be a legitamate source. I will keep looking for a goverment source though

American Lung Association said:
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR IPF?

Corticosteroids may be administered to treat the inflammation present in some people with IPF. The success of this treatment for many forms of pulmonary fibrosis is variable and is still being researched. Other drugs are occasionally added when it is clear that the steroids are not effective in reversing the disease.

Some doctors may use corticosteroids in combination with other drugs when the diagnosis is first established. Which drug treatment plan is effective, and how long to use the drugs is the focus of current research.

Oxygen therapy may be prescribed for some people with IPF. The need for oxygen will be determined by your doctor and may depend on the severity of disease, as well as your activity level. Talk with you doctor if you think you may need oxygen or if you have concerns about oxygen.

Influenza vaccine and pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine are both recommended for people with IPF or any lung disease. These two shots may help prevent infection and keep you healthy.

Lung transplantation may offer hope for selected people with severe IPF and other lung diseases. Speak with your doctor about eligibility criteria for lung transplant recipients.

Rehabilitation and education programs may help some people with IPF. Local support groups have been of benefit for people with IPF and their family members and friends.

Viewed 06/02/08 at 18:57

Oxygen therapy may be prescribed for some people with IPF. The need for oxygen will be determined by your doctor and may depend on the severity of disease, as well as your activity level. Talk with you doctor if you think you may need oxygen or if you have concerns about oxygen.

Instead of Oxygen Therapy, Pranayam and other Yogasanas can be performed.
It is free of cost and certainly effective.
My wife has this disease and Pranayam and Yogasanas have helped.

P.J.LAKHAPATE
plakhapate@rediffmail.com

can you please state what you want out of the thread?

is the purpose to spread awearness?
To seek advice?
To seek surport?

If you state what you want then we can help you

He wants to know if there is a permanent cure available, notwithstanding the fact that he knows of treatments to alleviate the symptoms, which he has stated, presumably to make others aware.

Confused? I think it's a second language thing.

in that case i would try my link
You could also try medline from the UK (i belive)

I will try to find some cohraine resurch on the issue
Im very sorry about your wife

You may not be able to assess this because your goverment may not have paid for access to these

Davies HR said:
No evidence to support the use of anti-inflammatory drugs in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - more research is required.
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a form of progressive lung disease which ultimately leads to death. The cause is unknown, but the disease is characterised by scar tissue in the lungs. This prevents the lungs from working effectively. Standard treatment uses oral corticosteroids, but there remains some uncertainty as to whether this treatment is effective. Immunomodulatory agents such as azathioprine and cyclophosphamide have been used to treat the disease because it is thought they might prevent inflammation. The review found only three high quality trials of these drugs. The effects of both colchicine and azathioprine were disappointing when assessed by these good quality trials, failing to show any significant additional benefit over oral corticosteroids. Azathioprine may lead to a small long term survival benefit. The single study using interferon showed significant benefits, but the results require confirmation. There are no high quality studies for other agents. Currently there is no good evidence to support routine use of immunosuppressive, anti-fibrotic or immunomodulatory agents in the management of IPF. Interferon and other new drugs may be of benefit, but further studies are required.

Viewed 12/02/08 at 21:04

Richeldi L said:
Currently there is no evidence to support the routine use of corticosteroids alone in the management of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a chronic disorder of lung tissue of unknown cause that is progressive and leads to death. Only recently has a firm definition become available based on the examination of lung tissue. Many studies have been carried out in the past without using this criterion, generally adopting less stringent or different classifications and terms; with the result that a mixture of other conditions with different natural histories and behaviours were included in many older trials. Standard clinical treatment of IPF is with corticosteroid tablets but response rates to this therapy are poor and the beneficial effects remain unproven. A systematic search for high quality placebo-controlled randomised trials comparing corticosteroid treatment with placebo in people with a confirmed diagnosis of IPF was unable to identify any studies suitable for inclusion in the review.

Viewed 12/02/08 at 21:04

From a couple of articals i have read it seems like a lung transplant MAYBE an option but i havent found an artical i would relie on yet

This site may help you though
http://www.coalitionforpf.org/patients/WhatEveryPatientWithIPFShouldKnow.asp

Back