Protein Intake and Muscle Growth

Tristan

Leave your World Behind
Valued Senior Member
As an athlete and college student in ROTC, I find myself working out a lot. I have been working on getting stronger and increasing my endurance as well. I hear a lot of hype about different protein supplements and other things that are supposed to help out, but I really have a hard time believing any of it. Today I broke down and bought a protein supplement (24g of protein per scoop) to help with my intake.

I think its common knowledge that you need protein to build muscle (i know it made a big difference when I simply started to pay more attention to it in my diet). The fact of the matter is, however, I am still having a hard time finding any difinitive sources pinpointing how much one should ingest.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the matter? Any good, scientific, unbiased sources you could point me to?

Tristan

As an athlete and college student in ROTC, I find myself working out a lot. I have been working on getting stronger and increasing my endurance as well. I hear a lot of hype about different protein supplements and other things that are supposed to help out, but I really have a hard time believing any of it. Today I broke down and bought a protein supplement (24g of protein per scoop) to help with my intake.

I think its common knowledge that you need protein to build muscle (i know it made a big difference when I simply started to pay more attention to it in my diet). The fact of the matter is, however, I am still having a hard time finding any difinitive sources pinpointing how much one should ingest.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the matter? Any good, scientific, unbiased sources you could point me to?

Tristan

it is the truth, and has passed every single scientific study posible, protein makes muscle simple as that, apart from water protein is the second thing your body is mostly made up of, (i do believe),

just taking protein supps on there own will do nothing, you have to eat alot, get different types of protein, the amino acids are important, whey protein is very good combine some whey protein before and after a workout, with 5-6 good solid meals throughout the day,

intake around 1g of protein per kg of bodyweight per day, thats usualy a good marker advised by most. without protein intake your efforts in the gym for muscle gains are pointless,

it does get alot of hype and commercial banter, for a good reason its the truth, but some products are way way over priced, do a google search for the best valued products to give you a better idea,

i take whey protein powder drinks before and after workouts, i also take creatine capsules before and after a workout, and trust me both of these products work very well, but alone they will do very little, combine creatine and whey protein with a solid workout regime and big diet and you will see results very quickly,

it wont take years to see results, if you stick to your plans and be consistent you will see results within a couple of weeks,

remember to stay hydrated more than usual if you take whey protein with creatine caps,

peace.

Back