proof that america is ruled by big brother

alain

du hast mich
Registered Senior Member
ive always wondered why americans take the 2nd letter i out of aluminium. is it because it is a long word? and takes too much time? or because they think that having two i's in a word sounds silly.

but no, it is a deliberate attempt by the american government to eradicate free will (proof below)

aluminium becomes aluminum, then will later become alumnum (ah-lum-numb)
index would become ndex, or maybe endex for ease of pronunciation
and the word I - is removed from the dictionaries forever

the end result of this, is that without the word I, it will be impossble to speak, or even think from a selfish point of view, everyone will grow up being completely dedicated to the country..

anyhoo, now that ive shared my boredom with you all, comments?

That is so true! i mean what with their massive army, top military research as well as an extremely corrupt government with a mentally ill president we didn't notice the REAL threat was in their grammar! The before were just distractions, now let's start a campaign of re-education to stop America dominating the world with their lack of I's!!!!

alain said:
ive always wondered why americans take the 2nd letter i out of aluminium. is it because it is a long word?

Jesus, Alain, a quick google on the history of 'Aluminum' would have saved you making an ill informed post on a public forum. Go research, and then get back to us.

that is hilarious, the only one to see the point of the thread is the so called blind man

it was a joke...

i should, i could entitle it

'thoughts ive come up with at 2AM'

itd sell like no-ones business

I always used to wonder why the Brits spelled certain words differently than us Yanks, like "theatre" and "centre" instead of "theater" and "center". Turns out that after the revolution we wanted to distance ourselves from the English, so we made some minor changes in our official spelling and whatnot. Now, if you spell it the British way, it must be higher classed and you feel better about paying more for it. When I saw the rents at "Palm Center" triple when they changed it to "Palm Centre", I rolled my eyes in wonder (wondre?) and thought we should probably ask to become a colony again.

Nope thats Wonder Oxygen. The daft bit is though us Brits spell Centre that way because of the French, since the -re at the end of the word originates from them.
It's suprising that you Americans didn't keep it since we probably would still own you if it wasn't for the French since they both supported your Revolution and were fighting us in Europe at the time.

However you could also blame us Brits for the lack of gun control over there, as the fear of our once Industrious Empire taking back what it lost is what gave the right for American's to bare arms.

I actually do wonder though if you over there actually pronounce Tomatoe correctly, because Potatoe is pronounced the same as you Americans pronounce Tomatoe and as you can see the spelling is pretty much the same (although you might leave an E off)

Hey guys,
Stryderunknown, It's good for me to see that not everyone has forgotten the crucial role the French played in American independence. No France=No America.
Quayle didn't forget to add the E. lol.

Oxygen, Blame or thank Daniel Webster who standardized the American language.

Standardised language? Isnt that anti-individual? Shouldnt everyone be free to use their own language and spelling?

>>>>it will be impossble to speak, or even think from a selfish point of view,

wrong. you don't think in words. read stephen pinkers "the language instinct". Newspeak in orwells 1984 had this theme of controlling peoples thought through language.

I recently read about some bizarre spelling that Teddy Roosevelt tried to impose. This is from "Strange Stories, Amazing Facts of America's Past" by Reader's Digest (1990):
"Mr. Rucevelt's New Word List"

Teddy Roosevelt was "surprized" at the ruckus "razed" in response to his 1906 order to the public printer. In it he listed 300 words that henceforth would be spelled according to to the Simplified Spelling Board Guidelines.

Funded by millionaire industrialist and philantropist Andrew Carnegie, the organization crusaded for deleting the u in "honour" and "parlour", changes that eventually came in general usage. (More radical ideas, like kist for kissed and tho for though have not endured.)

The press reacted to TR's order with sarcasm. One editor wrote that "nuthing escapes Mr. Rucevelt. No subject is tu hi fr him to takl, nor tu lo fr him to notis."

Questioning the president's power to change American orthography, Congress instructed the printing office that all the material sent to its chambers contain standard spellings.

Roosevelt regretfully withdrew his order in response to the general outcry. Yet he later wrote that he was glad he "did the thing anyhow."

Sounds like TR could have been Dan Quayle's Spelling teacher, hey? ;)

Ah, another thought. Could someone explain the difference between "grey" and "gray"? I've always spelled it "grey".

I've wondered myself. I interchange them all the time.

Looks like it's either way. Gray and Grey are the same word.

As for tho for though, looking at the boards this seems to indeed be in vogue.

What about through (thru)?
It's funny looking at that T.R. excert since it's almost like the text used in modern SMS messaging through (thru?) Mobile telephones.

During my senior year in High School our English teacher, Mr. Vultee, made a remark that kind of stuck with me regarding spelling. We had kids from so many different parts of the world in that class for whom English was their second or third language. He advised those of us born to the tongue to take it easy on them when looking at their spelling, reminding us that most of them got their most formative taste of the English language compliments of advertising. Given the liberties taken in commercial spelling ("Mon thru Fri Nite Sale-A-Bration!!! Come early 4 xtra savings!"), he said that he found it impressive that anybody who didn't grow up with English even bothered to try to learn it.

I've thought for many years that the American language is decaying. As is the art of communication. There are so many overused words and phrases. Does anyone speak in complete sentences anymore? If you haven't, try it.

One note on the subject: SCIFORUMS NEEDS A SPELLCHECKER

English is an absurd and unruly language. Littered with special rules. Its so absurd that we even value people who actually know all the rules. Why not move to the phonetic spelling like some European nations have so courageously done, for example the dutch language is entirely phonetic. Imagine in one swoop you could improve the literacy rate in any English speaking country. No bizarre rules to confuse the process..

Insanely Elite,
Sciforums did once have a spell check however due to the site that the spell check was using changing its service from free to paying for it, it was one of the things cut off from sciforums never to have been seen again.

As for more points about language, you aught to look at the difference in languages when it comes to computer programming. Admittedly computer processes when converted into an executable do not need to actually have to worry about what things are called or how they are spelled but if the program contains written text it can process it faster if it's lexicon in form (Chinese/Japanese) as aposed to Anglo-typeset.
Admittedly it's to do with how English words are formed from the atoms of letters as aposed to phonetic subsections.

This was noted with the different instances of games console, usual rule was:
Japanese consoles were faster than the American consoles which were faster than the UK consoles, just because of type/spelling.

Back