Prion diseases

areasys

Registered Senior Member
What are the odds of prion diseases, such as vCJD (which can be contracted by eating contaminated beef and can have an incubation period of decades), becoming an epidemic in the future? Could we be looking at hundreds, thousands, or even millions of lives lost?

What all research is being done in the area of prion diseases? Are we any closer to a treatment or therapy? I've heard of the possibility of using ozone.

What are the odds of prion diseases, such as vCJD (which can be contracted by eating contaminated beef and can have an incubation period of decades), becoming an epidemic in the future? Could we be looking at hundreds, thousands, or even millions of lives lost?

What all research is being done in the area of prion diseases? Are we any closer to a treatment or therapy? I've heard of the possibility of using ozone.

From what I've read, there's very little risk. Mostly because prions don't transmit easily. They are the simplest forms of life (not even really "alive", just bundles of proteins). CJD/BSE is horrific shit, though. There is absolutely nothing they can do for you once you've got it. Your brain just slowly turns to jelly.

~String

By the time it becomes apparent that you have it, your brain is far too wasted to be repaired.

From what I've read, there's very little risk. Mostly because prions don't transmit easily. They are the simplest forms of life (not even really "alive", just bundles of proteins). CJD/BSE is horrific shit, though. There is absolutely nothing they can do for you once you've got it. Your brain just slowly turns to jelly.

~String

Actually, I'd change that to "slowly turns to sponge". When you look at a tissue sample, the porosity of the infected brain is what leaps out at you.
http://www.cjdsurveillance.com/

Not likely. You only get it by actually ingesting the infected nervous tissue.

Technically not true. Though it's apparently incredibly rare, a certain mutation can lead to prion disease.

A new study with transgenic mice provides the first concrete evidence that a disease-associated prion protein mutation in an otherwise normal mammalian brain can generate a unique self-perpetuating transmissible agent that is infectious to other animals. In addition to revealing critical new insight into prion biology, the research, published by Cell Press in the August 27 issue of the journal Neuron, introduces a valuable mouse model of a type of inherited human prion disease associated with deadly insomnia.
http://memory.ucsf.edu/cjd/news/ffi-prp-mutation

PRNP the protein that causes prion disease is common to all mammals (though a similar protein has been found in avains, but as of yet there is no known case of this disease in birds) The function of PRNP is not yet known precisely, but in knock out mice lacking it cause learning disabilities by hypothesis mechanism to making certian neuron cells susceptible to oxidation stress and copper sensitivity, so its unlikely turning the PRNP gene off would provide beneficial results without causing new perhaps equally damaging problem.

I'm not worried. My odds of contracting BSE/CJD are about as low as statistics can get, especially when compared to cancer, auto accidents, heart disease and slips/falls.

~String

Don't forget lightning!

Last edited:
I'm not worried. My odds of contracting BSE/CJD are about as low as statistics can get, especially when compared to cancer, auto accidents, heart disease and slips/falls.

~String

Yah but why not kill two birds with one stone and not even have a chance of getting it while boycotting the slaughterhouses that are worse than most people's imaginations of hell?

Eat only Brazilian beef - there are no feed lots in Brazil (AFAIK). There is only grass feed cows. The meat is a little tougher as they walk a lot. Never will have mad cow disease in Brazil, which has the world's largest herd.

Back